Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: [FS] Mirex EF to Sony E (FE) Tilt Shift  (Read 2796 times)

RawheaD

[FS] Mirex EF to Sony E (FE) Tilt Shift
« on: April 06, 2015, 04:33:58 pm »

Here's a hard one to find (not even on their website).
Mirex EF to FE mount tilt shift adapter, ±15mm shift & 10˚ tilt.

Attach any EF mount lens (as well as other lenses with an EF adapter) to your Sony E/FE mount camera to make it a tilt shift lens.

Kipon ripped off the design, but they can't (or won't?) do an EF version, which is nice to have because you can pretty much get an EF adapter for all 135 and larger format lenses.

$500 shipped in the US (additional shipping abroad) + Paypal fees.

RawheaD

Re: [FS] Mirex EF to Sony E (FE) Tilt Shift
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2015, 02:38:08 pm »

One last bump at $450.  I won't go any lower, so if I can't sell at this price, I'll keep it. Thanks :)

RawheaD

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2015, 03:44:19 pm »

going...going...

Boykinally

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2015, 04:56:22 am »

I thought I just read on the forum that HCam is coming out with a version II that will allow more shift without any venyeting with the 11-24. Is this the same brand but the version I? Also I pretty sure that the version II will be able to accept different adaptors so you could mount it on a Canon or a Sony, do you know if that is correct? I am interested in this but just want to make sure I know the difference between this one and the new one coming that will work with the Canon 11-24.

RawheaD

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2015, 10:33:35 am »

Thanks for the interest.

Mirex is the original maker that came up with this design.  They've partnered with HCam to come out with the newest versions.

Few things to know to make your decisions.

With the newer versions (I have one here), they've modified the shape of a mask (from circular to square-ish), which gives you an extra couple mm of shifting in certain directions before vignetting.  Using my TS-E 17 here's the comparison.  TS is total shift, in parentheses are how much shifting is done on the lens, then on the adapter:

Mirex Version
Horizontal: TS = 18mm (6 + 12)
Vertical: TS = 20 (8 + 12)

HCam Version
Horitonzal: TS =19 (7 + 12)
Vertical: TS = 20 (8 + 12)

In all cases you want to shift maximally on the lens first then on the adapter for maximum movements when combining with a TS lens (which is my main purpose).  With the 17-40F4L that I have, the image circle is minimum at 17mm and increases till around 20mm and stays the same thereafter.  Here are the number of maximum shift horizontally with the two adapters:

Mirex: 2mm, 6mm
HCam: 2mm, 9mm

So the shape of the mask does contribute to ~2-3mm of additional shift in certain directions.

Personally, the reason to get the HCam version is not the extra 2mm in certain directions though; it's rather the collar that allows for easy rotation of the assembly (the collar has a tripod bracket so you can quickly swap between landscape and portrait).  But do know that they've also increased the price.  You would be paying about twice what I'm asking for for the new HCam version.  Another downside is bulk; the new HCam version is gigantic :D

Version II will NOT let you mount on a Canon body for the simple reason that you can't add an adapter between a Canon lens and a Canon body and still get infinity focus.  This thing only works because you mount on a Sony E mount, with much shorter flange focal distance.

Now, Mirex *does* make their TS adapters for Medium Format to Canon EF bodies; e.g., I have one that does Mamiya 645 -> Canon EF.  I have no idea if they're planning an HCam version of those.

Personally, I think my offer is a good bargain; if I were to choose to buy one of these for myself, I'd buy the older version for half the price.  The reason I'm getting rid of that one is because I already have the HCam version, and the easy rotation mechanism is nice :)  Let me know if you're interested!

Boykinally

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2015, 05:48:18 pm »

My needs are to use this with the 11-24. I called The guy in Germany to try and get the answers to my questions with the whole set up using the 11-24. You have to have the lens hood removed because of venyeting ...bout $8 or 900 if they do that in Germany (*#£€\}#) and about $800 for the TS. More than I was expecting and of most of my work is with the 17 and 24 tse that have plenty of shift for my needs but I did buy the 11-24 and will just try to correct in LR of the small amount of shots I think I'll be shooting with it. Maybe down the road I will spring for the other $$$$$$

RawheaD

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2015, 05:51:39 pm »

If you have the 17 and 24, the reason why I would use the Mirex (or HCam) is so that I can shift up with the adapter, then shift left and right with the lens, so that I can get perspective controlled panoramas.  It's been invaluable for that purpose :)   Anyhow, thanks for the interest :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up