Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: The moment between  (Read 4715 times)

robdickinson

The moment between
« on: April 06, 2015, 05:58:30 am »

Between night and day. Pre dawn light at Nugget point Lighthouse this morning.

3rd attempt to shoot the location over Easter delivered a great range of moods.

New Day at Nugget Point by robjdickinson, on Flickr

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
Re: The moment between
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2015, 06:57:56 am »

Beautiful light...Love the sky.

Peter

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2015, 09:51:06 am »

Beautiful, Rob. Great timing with stars, colour on the horizon and, what appears to be moon shadow to the right of the peninsula.
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

NancyP

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2015, 10:46:52 am »

Wow. Just, Wow.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2015, 11:24:55 am »

Where is that daylight-like light on the lighthouse and the hill underneath coming from? As if the sun is rising from two opposite directions?

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2015, 12:41:45 pm »

Presumably...

Yes.

However, the balance (moonlight/sunlight) is highly unbelievable. One can not have a sunrise, even a pre-sunrise dawn, and such a bright moonlight at the same time.

robdickinson

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2015, 02:52:28 pm »

Yes.

However, the balance (moonlight/sunlight) is highly unbelievable. One can not have a sunrise, even a pre-sunrise dawn, and such a bright moonlight at the same time.

Not my fault you find it hard to believe!

The sun was far from the horizon at this point, the full moon and the sun very balanced in light levels.

Here is the raw next to the finished photoshop document. No blending, no exposure changes, I did bring the colour out a little. Techncial info this is a 25second exposure at f4 and ISO1000.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2015, 03:13:44 pm »

Not my fault you find it hard to believe! ...

Indeed... I stand corrected then.

I would still say that a slightly less overall exposure in post would result in a more believable image, without changing the overall balance between the foreground and background. It is well known that, given long enough exposure, any moonlit scene will appear as shot in a broad daylight. And it does have a certain attraction as a novelty to show it that way.

In any case, it is certainly your prerogative to process it to your liking and I applaud you for capturing such a balanced moment.

maddogmurph

• Maddog's Photography
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2015, 04:26:40 pm »

I hate to say it, but the moon shadow was an unfortunate distraction for me.  Otherwise I like everything about it.
Maddog Murph
www.depictionsofbeauty.com
Mostly here for constructive feedback.

robdickinson

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2015, 04:51:38 pm »

Perhaps a better version would be to crop that out

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2015, 04:54:52 am »

Believabilit does not nessacerlly need to be the goal...

Peter

maddogmurph

• Maddog's Photography
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2015, 03:34:34 pm »

The problem with the crop is that the bottom right, with the waves is very beautiful and interesting.  I think you could potentially just select the moon shadow, and bring light into that section of the photograph a bit to make the shadow a little less distracting.  Or of course alternatively, bring the lighting down in everything but the moon shadow.  Wouldn't take too long to look at a version of this to see if it's plausible.  I mean it's fine as it is, again this is just my opinion and initial first impression.  I already want to visit the location and probably will.
Maddog Murph
www.depictionsofbeauty.com
Mostly here for constructive feedback.

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2015, 10:58:15 pm »

Those of you who know me on this forum would recognize that I have no problem suggesting cropping, but in this case...Nooooooooooooo! Leave it as is.

I find the visual conundrum of having moonshine/shadow combined with sun on the horizon wonderfully beguiling. A photograph doesn't always need to be perfectly understandable or believable right off the bat. When I first saw this, I had to think a moment about how it's possible to have a sunlit horizon and a shadow in the foreground. If this makes you feel off-balance or uneasy - great! Bring it on!
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

robdickinson

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2015, 12:30:05 am »

Thanks Terry!

Its a very well shot spot so finding something different is always a challenge!

sdwilsonsct

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2015, 08:57:27 am »

Those of you who know me on this forum would recognize that I have no problem suggesting cropping, but in this case...Nooooooooooooo! Leave it as is.

I find the visual conundrum of having moonshine/shadow combined with sun on the horizon wonderfully beguiling. A photograph doesn't always need to be perfectly understandable or believable right off the bat. When I first saw this, I had to think a moment about how it's possible to have a sunlit horizon and a shadow in the foreground. If this makes you feel off-balance or uneasy - great! Bring it on!

I agree. Life is weird. Keep 'em guessing.
Very nice work, as usual.

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2015, 09:08:01 am »

Very beautiful image Rob, the colours are amazing...

I would like to crop it (AAAAH!)  so that the point is exactly in the middle of the picture...
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

Jeevz

• Sanjeev Deo Photography
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2015, 12:32:09 pm »

This is pretty cool.  I love nugget point lighthouse; although I haven't been there since I have been seriously into photography.

I really like the balance/contrast/confusion between sun and moonlight.  It does give the scene a surreal feeling, but in an interesting way.
The composition is pretty 'in your face' with the central lines to the lighthouse and I think that the shadow line across this takes away some of the flow of the scene.  But hey, what can you do when the moon is in one place and there aren't many spots you can get an aerial shot from :)

Overall though. I like. A lot.

robdickinson

« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2015, 04:55:18 pm »

This is pretty cool.  I love nugget point lighthouse; although I haven't been there since I have been seriously into photography.

I really like the balance/contrast/confusion between sun and moonlight.  It does give the scene a surreal feeling, but in an interesting way.
The composition is pretty 'in your face' with the central lines to the lighthouse and I think that the shadow line across this takes away some of the flow of the scene.  But hey, what can you do when the moon is in one place and there aren't many spots you can get an aerial shot from :)

Overall though. I like. A lot.

Thanks! If people dont know the location they dont know the possible options on shooting, to shoot this you need to be way up on a knife edge ridge with near vertical 300m drops either side. I could have gone higher up some but looked like too much foliage in the foreground

The photo title could be used to provide more of a clue that moonlight illuminated the scene.

Heh yeah, I tend to swing between literal and poetic for titles. often the hardest part of the shot...

Praki

« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2015, 12:03:34 pm »

Fascinating image well captured! Moonlight strong enough to cast shadows and dawn on the horizon is a first time for me. Good to know that it is possible. Thanks for sharing the exposure data also.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2015, 02:08:54 pm »

Very beautiful image Rob, the colours are amazing...

I would like to crop it (AAAAH!)  so that the point is exactly in the middle of the picture...

The colours are wonderful. On the other hand, if I were going to fiddle with the framing, I'd crop a bit off the left, to stress the asymmetry. De gustibus...

Jeremy
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up