Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Divide and Conquer Your Road Case  (Read 947 times)

Michael Erlewine

• MacroStop.com
Divide and Conquer Your Road Case
« on: March 27, 2015, 09:10:41 am »

Not sure where to put post; it has to do with storing gear -- lenses, etc. for the road.

I have all sorts of pieces of cut-foam lying around from my attempts to form-fit various camera equipment for my Pelican cases, mostly for the Pelican 1600. The problem is not with the foam, but with my every-changing mind and camera gear. I no sooner settle in to one cut-foam pattern when something new comes out that has to go into the case.

I wish I had found TrekPak dividers early-on, because they are what we call in the advertising business “evergreen,” meaning they never go out of style or have to be replaced. Instead of cut-foam or those hassle-prone stick-to-everything Velcro dividers, TrekPak offers rigid dividers that can be configured however I want, and they last from here on out.

This is a photo of one of a couple Pelican cases rigged for some of my video equipment, in this case the Sony FS700, which has output for 4K video and 10-bit Apple ProRes, and the Panasonic GH4 4K camera, etc. Those little red-cloth flags you see are fixed to anodized pins that just pull up from coupling dividers. The pins can connect dividers anywhere along their edge or you can opt to cut your own dividers.

This system is pricier than foam, but not if you add up how many times you have to recut foam or wish you had not cut it as you have. Just pull out a pin and re-pin it where you want. I like these because they are exact and offer a neat solution. I don’t work for TrekPak or have any affiliation with them. I just like this divider system. You can read more at http://trekpak.com/.
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com. Founder MacroStop.com, MichaelErlewine.com, YouTube.com/user/merlewine

Phil Indeblanc

Re: Divide and Conquer Your Road Case
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2015, 07:41:48 pm »

Good idea, BUT it looks like its not padded enough, pretty thin, and I checked the availability and price..WOW!...super expensive!
$95 to line my 1510 case, or 70-100 for a backpack... No thanks.     I'll deal with the velcro or foam-in-place.

Maybe at half or less of the price, it would be something I would consider.

Once gear is in place, you don't move it that often until you need to switch, and at that time you can deal with the hook/loops to make it right.
This does sound logical, when its down to a illogical price.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 07:58:11 pm by Phil Indeblanc »
If you buy a camera, you're a photographer...

Michael Erlewine

• MacroStop.com
Re: Divide and Conquer Your Road Case
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2015, 08:19:27 pm »

I believe I mentioned that it was pricey. As you can see in the photo, I am using it for a couple of 4K camera systems, for which it does a great job. I don't use these systems for a bunch of lenses, although I would, perhaps wrapping each lens in bubble-wrap or clothe. I don't like foam... much.
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com. Founder MacroStop.com, MichaelErlewine.com, YouTube.com/user/merlewine
Pages: [1]   Go Up