Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: About New Video Service Article  (Read 1687 times)

Kevin Gallagher

About New Video Service Article
« on: March 26, 2015, 08:42:49 am »

Who was that very young clean shaven guy again?  :)
 Great article on the LULA video history, I remember eagerly awaiting the arrival of each new DVD and then subsequently being able to download the files directly. I learned so much form the various Michael & Jeff tutorials and still watch the Video Journal DVD's frequently.

Kevin in CT
Kevin In CT
All Animals Are Equal But Some Are More Equal
 George Orwell

michael

Re: About New Video Service Article
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2015, 08:49:11 am »

Funny thing is, I don't even remember not having a beard at that time.

I've had a beard almost my entire adult life, with the exception of the odd year, here and there.

Michael

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2015, 11:59:39 am »

Yes, nostalgia time :) I pulled out the DVD drive I almost never use and plugged it into my MBP (that does not have one) and looked at some of the first Luminous Landscape Video Journals. I clean shaven Michael but only for one episode and a boyish looking Thomas Knoll discussing cameras of 3MP (D30), 6MP (D60) and the 1Ds 11MP camera. This was really great stuff and I still remember how I looked forward to get each new DVD. Thanks to Michael and Chris to pull all this off back then. Now almost 15 years later this is amazing to see. Both how much has happened and how little :)

Alan Smallbone

• APS Photography
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2015, 03:17:16 pm »

I remember that too, I had looked at the videos not too long ago. I was an original subscriber to the dvd's as well. fun to see again, and I remember my D60 as well.

Alan
Alan Smallbone
Orange County, CA

Telecaster

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2015, 03:39:32 pm »

The DVD I've gone back to multiple times over the years is the one featuring Michael's chat with Oscar Peterson. I've felt for as long as I can remember that the more spontaneous kind of photography I prefer and improvisatory music making are just two forms of the same thing. Mr. Peterson was an amazing musician. Had the pleasure of seeing & hearing him play live twice, experiences I'll always cherish.

-Dave-

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2015, 03:48:11 pm »

The DVD I've gone back to multiple times over the years is the one featuring Michael's chat with Oscar Peterson. I've felt for as long as I can remember that the more spontaneous kind of photography I prefer and improvisatory music making are just two forms of the same thing. Mr. Peterson was an amazing musician. Had the pleasure of seeing & hearing him play live twice, experiences I'll always cherish...
And just a reminder to forum readers that that particular video is set as a Free View

David Mantripp

• :: snowhenge dot net ::
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2015, 05:16:34 pm »

I actually bought my first Superdrive-equipped Mac specifically so that I could play the LLVJ DVD 1 :-)  i had the DVD a good few weeks before I could watch it...
--
David Mantripp

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• I've even written a book about it
    • SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2015, 09:43:22 am »

As this seems to be turning into a sort of grand review of all the LLVJ's from the past, I would like to add my two penneth by saying that in my opinion, the best LLVJ by a country mile is LLVJ-3.

The "Dunes and Marshes" travel segment, makes this release above all others worth every single penny. It is endlessly watchable and re-watchable and truly encapsulates the real essence of what scouting for new photographic locations and making meaningful and worthwhile images is all about. If anyone reading this has not already bought LLVJ-3, then I woud advise you to do so now, as I cannot recommend it highly enough.

Buy it, run it through your big screen TV, crack open a bottle of plonk or a few beers, then sit back and enjoy - you will not be disappointed.  ;)

Dave
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 09:45:27 am by Dave (Isle of Skye) »
Pages: [1]   Go Up