Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: latest photo  (Read 6695 times)

framah

latest photo
« on: January 20, 2006, 03:27:04 pm »

Michael,

The latest posting of the red leaves, black branches is a real keeper!!  As soon as I clicked on whats new and it came up, I said, "Yeah, Now that's perfect!"  Thanks for sharing it with us.

You know... couple a more years and you'll be gettin' pretty good at this!!    

(That's a Maine compliment.)
"It took a  lifetime of suffering and personal sacrifice to develop my keen aesthetic sense."

Yem

latest photo
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2006, 05:18:27 pm »

That is quite a stunner. I have to ask.. how long did you spend on post processing? It looks unreal (not in a bad way, mind)

michael

latest photo
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2006, 06:16:10 pm »

Thanks.

Post process took about 5-10 minutes.

I'll be writing up the technique soon. It's something that I've been working on for a while.

It simply involves making a duplicate layer, converting it to B&W, and then blending it with the original colour image. I added a bit of gaussian blur to the B&W layer in this case as well, and increased the saturation on the yellow channel on the colour layer.

Michael

katemann

latest photo
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2006, 09:20:47 pm »

Great photo. Winter has many fine opportunities.

I'm looking forward to an explanation of the post processing.

blowery

• http://www.blowery.org/
latest photo
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2006, 11:10:07 pm »

I really dug it too, especially since it's from my home town.  Michael, do you remember where in Ann Arbor you took the shot?  There's some great scenery around there, especially if you head west out of town into the farm country.  Great stuff!

situgrrl

• http://www.charlyburnett.com
latest photo
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2006, 01:27:09 pm »

No no, the red tree was nice and everything - it's the picture up at the moment though that is truly magnificant.

Michael, it must be a hard life watching people bitch about their favourite picture of yours on a forum!  Thanks all the same though, and I look forward to the photoshop article!

C

mbutler

latest photo
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2006, 03:23:56 pm »

Coincidentally, the Feb. issue of Shutterbug has an article about digital IR. There was also an interesting footnote about a company that actually offers a hardware option by modifying older digital cameras to become dedicated IR cameras:

"One company, IRDigital, actually converts certain digital cameras to shoot black and white IR. This option is for serious IR shooters only though, as the conversion is a one-way trip (the camera can’t be returned to its original state), and the converted camera can only shoot black and white IR. The modification is currently available for the Canon EOS D30, D60, 1D, and Digital Rebel (300D), as well as the Nikon D100. To locate one of these older camera models, try Shutterbug ads or eBay. Conversions cost $350 for all except the Digital Rebel, which is $500. See www.irdigital.net for more details and examples of landscape and portrait subjects."

michael

latest photo
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2006, 04:13:51 pm »

I'll have my article on it up in a week or two. I'm still experimenting.

The company I used is called MaxMax. Did a superb job.

Michael

katemann

latest photo
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2006, 06:57:47 am »

The snow fence image is remarkable. I think we have seen it before? One very like it?

I enjoy your painterly abstract shots.

I'm certainly looking forward to hearing about your new processing, Michael.

Phuong

latest photo
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2006, 11:38:36 pm »

i'm sorry i hijacked this thread. i'll post my question on a saparated thread.

by the way the image looks great on my LCD.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2006, 12:15:16 pm by Phuong »

ballin_marlin

latest photo
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2006, 05:22:19 am »

heheh... NICE. hey peoples, what are your favorite places to travel?? give me some feedback!

Ray

latest photo
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2006, 07:47:07 am »

The latest posting of the red leaves, black branches is a real keeper!!  As soon as I clicked on whats new and it came up, I said, "Yeah, Now that's perfect!"  Thanks for sharing it with us.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=56438\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Are we talking about the same image? I'm looking at an infrared image that looks very much like a B&W photo with a warm cast.

As a composition, I find the bright leaves in the centre confusing. Are they blown highlights or is that snow? The totally black base of the image is just too black.

Within the context of infra-red photography and from the perspective of those who know of the difficulties, it might well be an impressive attempt. Without such excuses, it seems a flawed image to me. Sorry Michael!  

michael

latest photo
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2006, 08:11:43 am »

Regretably the image fails on some people's screens. On my Artisan it is fine, and on a print there is great detail in the very bright ferns at center. That's part of the pleasure of the image. Wish I could dhare a print with viewers (or my screen).

Note to others - the Home page photograph changes frequently. If commenting on someone's posting please check the date it was made.

Michael
« Last Edit: July 12, 2006, 08:12:03 am by michael »

Ray

latest photo
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2006, 09:36:13 am »

On my Artisan it is fine, and on a print there is great detail in the very bright ferns at center. [a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=70449\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hmm! That's disturbing. My Sony CRT monitor, not as fine as the Artisan of course, seems to produce very similar results to the results after posting on your forum. Or should this be the other way round. The images I post on the forum are very similar (but not exact, of course) to what I see in Photoshop on my screen before posting. Your current image would appear to be too contrasty on my calibrated monitor. What should I be doing? My prints are fine.

Ray

latest photo
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2006, 09:46:51 am »

Michael,
My apologies! I'm on my 64 bit uncalibrated system. Too many glasses of wine.  
Pages: [1]   Go Up