Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: IKEA Art  (Read 19960 times)

Ed B

• Light Conspiracy
IKEA Art
« on: March 21, 2015, 12:45:16 pm »

The video on the page is not in English but it is subtitled. Seems like it isn't about what it is but where it is. In IKEA it's cheap art, in a museum it's priceless.

http://lifehunters.tv/showing-ikea-print-to-art-experts

Diego Pigozzo

Re: IKEA Art
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2015, 02:00:26 pm »

Duchamp docet.
When I grow up I want to be a photographer.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/diegopig/

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2015, 02:09:05 pm »

Being available at IKEA doesn't preclude it being art, even great art. Some of the world's most historic sculptures are kept outside in the rain in town squares.

The determination of art's retail price is a black box, it seems to me.

--
Robert

Gulag

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2015, 08:18:34 pm »

the word "vulgar" has its root in Latin, which means of, relating to, or current among the great mass of common people, in contrast to the educated, cultured, or privileged.
"Photography is our exorcism. Primitive society had its masks, bourgeois society its mirrors. We have our images."

— Jean Baudrillard

Isaac

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2015, 10:20:06 am »

Isaac

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2015, 01:23:17 pm »

"We placed an IKEA painting in a museum and told art experts it was from the famous IKE-Andrews."

No, not art experts.

Someone, apparently with authority to show a painting in the Museum for Modern Art in Arnhem, told ordinary visitors that a painting was by a famous Swedish artist, and then sniggered as those ordinary people believed what they'd been told and struggled to say something about the painting's worth.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 01:26:12 pm by Isaac »

amolitor

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2015, 01:34:45 pm »

Art is a social construct, highly dependent on context.

If you tell someone a wine is $90 a bottle, rare, and extremely good, they're going to like it more. Yep, even golden-nosed wine snobs.

Isaac

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2015, 01:50:28 pm »

Art is a social construct, highly dependent on context.

If you tell someone a wine is $90 a bottle, rare, and extremely good, they're going to like it more. Yep, even golden-nosed wine snobs.

Many people say what they think others would like to hear and keep what they actually think to themselves.

Of course, most of us can be tricked.

BJL

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2015, 02:13:06 pm »

Does anyone remember the "Folger's Switch" campaign? (For foreign readers: Folger's is a mainstream, mid-priced brand of instant coffee in the USA.)

They would help you to pretend to serve your guests at a dinner party fresh brewed coffee while actually delivering Folger's instant, and then ask your guests what they thought of the coffee.

I think this was a brilliant marketing ploy, because predictably, your friends will say nice things about your coffee when you ask them ...
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 04:10:38 pm by BJL »

mbaginy

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2015, 03:08:17 pm »

Does anyone remember the "Folger's Switch" campaign?
That's a trip down memory lane!  Was that in the mid 60s?  About the same time of The Swinger (Polaroid) - can't get that tune out of my mind.

Isaac

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2015, 05:44:02 pm »

I think this was a brilliant marketing ploy, because ...

A book you may find interesting -- "Hidden Persuasion: 33 Psychological Influence Techniques in Advertising"

louoates

• Lou Oates Photography
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2015, 04:54:18 pm »

I pick through, choose, price, and display donated art of all kinds for a local charity thrift store. From roughly 1,000 pictures per week, 200 are in good enough condition to sell, 200 are discarded as trash, the rest sold in bulk to another resale operation for .30 cents per pound. I see Ikea and other chain store art all the time. Many of those are re-salable, often at a higher prices than when new. Probably because that art is most always reasonably matted and framed.

Isaac

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2015, 06:53:57 pm »

Museum staff being conned -- "For decades, Mark Landis donated art to museums and galleries across the US. He was feted as a wealthy collector but the pictures were fakes that he had created himself."

Jim Pascoe

• http://www.jimpascoe.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2015, 04:33:43 am »

So …?

I imagine Gulag is pointing out that a print owned by millions of ordinary people bought from say IKEA, is seen as less worthy of the 'art' tag than something slightly more obscure that is only seen and appreciated by a more educated and privileged elite.

NancyP

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2015, 10:37:47 am »

Shades of Walter Benjamin.

luminerewhite

« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2015, 11:10:30 am »

I thought this whole "experiement" was weak
 >:(
Pages: [1]   Go Up