Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Samsung NX1 paired with Canon Lenses  (Read 5132 times)

John Koerner

• "Fortune favors the bold." Virgil
    • John Koerner Photography
Samsung NX1 paired with Canon Lenses
« on: March 21, 2015, 12:39:17 am »

After all the Nikon/Canon debates, I am softening to the idea of walking passed both flagship brands and getting the Samsung NX1 instead (as had been suggested to me in the past). The NX1 has 4K video, Resolution that outperforms both Canon and Nikon APS-C, and (quite frankly) adapters that fit to both company's lens profiles.

My question is, has anyone actually used the NX1 with Canon macro lenses?

Which are the best adapters? (Some don't let you adjust apertures.)

I know the screen articulates, and is touch-sensitive, but can you zoom-in 10x like you can on a Canon camera?

Thanks for any insight.

Jack

jwstl

Re: Samsung NX1 paired with Canon Lenses
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2015, 11:01:11 pm »

I can't help you with Canon lenses specifically, but I am using some of my Nikon lenses on the NX1. I bought an adapter made by Fotsay on Amazon. I did not buy an adapter that controls apertures; I use my older Nikon 105 AF-D Macro, the 50 1.2 manual focus, and the Nikon DC lenses, all having aperture rings. The adapter works perfectly and the lenses perform very well. I'm out of town and traveling light so I didn't bring the NX1 and can't tell you about the zoom capabilities but their other recent cameras have it. I can let you know more when I return on Tuesday. Since I bought the NX1, the Samsung 16-50 f/2-2.8 and 50-150 2.8, and the NX300 with pancake lenses for travel, my Nikons gets far less use. I'll be replacing the NX300 with the NX500 in the next couple of months and will probably sell some of my Nikon gear.

John Koerner

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2015, 11:25:18 pm »

I can't help you with Canon lenses specifically, but I am using some of my Nikon lenses on the NX1. I bought an adapter made by Fotsay on Amazon. I did not buy an adapter that controls apertures; I use my older Nikon 105 AF-D Macro, the 50 1.2 manual focus, and the Nikon DC lenses, all having aperture rings. The adapter works perfectly and the lenses perform very well. I'm out of town and traveling light so I didn't bring the NX1 and can't tell you about the zoom capabilities but their other recent cameras have it. I can let you know more when I return on Tuesday. Since I bought the NX1, the Samsung 16-50 f/2-2.8 and 50-150 2.8, and the NX300 with pancake lenses for travel, my Nikons gets far less use. I'll be replacing the NX300 with the NX500 in the next couple of months and will probably sell some of my Nikon gear.

Thank you for taking the time to respond. What Nikon camera did you replace with the NX1?

If you were using more modern Nikon lenses, could you use Aperture Priority setting and get by controlling the f/stop like that?

How are you enjoying the ergonomics and overall experience of the NX1? (By the sound of it, you're converting ...)

Thanks again.

jwstl

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2015, 08:06:02 pm »

I have 2 D7100 bodies and a D800e. Since I received the NX1 the D7100s are never used. The NX1 sensor is better, it's a little smaller body, 4k video, and I really like the tilting screen. I do plan to keep the D800e for landscapes, low light, and for long lens use since Samsung currently doesn't have anything longer than 150mm except the decent but not great 50-200 kit lens. There is a 300 2.8 in the works but I'd rather have something smaller and lighter.

Fotasy/ Rainbow Imaging makes an adapter for aperture control of Nikon G series lenses but I haven't tried it. But I think I will. http://www.rainbowimaging.biz/shop/product.php?id_product=75
I'm a fan of aperture rings so I really enjoy using the Nikons with apertures on this camera.

As for ergonomics, I like it very much. The camera is a nice size, not too large or too small. I've become a fan of small cameras without EVFs for certain uses but a camera of this quality with EVF needs to be a bit bigger. The menu system is excellent, simple with easy access. Samsung has an NX1 battery grip for those who have big hands, want an extra battery in the camera, and/or a vertical release. The camera has gotten even more use since Markins released an L-plate for it.
It does have its limitations: no long lenses, only 1 real flash unit, only a 60mm macro (a very good one though), 85 1.4 (beautiful images) that really struggles to focus in low light, some focus tracking issues, third parties are slow to add Raw support, and the only third party making lenses in the NX mount is Samyang.
Samsung is the best I've seen at releasing firmware updates. They not only fix issues but add new features.
Overall, I'm very pleased. If Samsung continues down this road with more pro caliber cameras and lenses, I can see myself exclusively Samsung.

John Koerner

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2015, 10:00:31 am »

I appreciate your time and thoughtful response, thank you.

Unfortunately, I am not finding any similar adapter rings for Canon EF lenses, that allow aperture control, but I sure hope to be able to do so.

If I do, the Samsung body is what I am going to get.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 10:04:07 am by John Koerner »

John Koerner

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2015, 10:10:22 am »

PS: The Canon Body lets you zoom-in at 10x magnification for macro and other critical-focus applications; does the NX1 allow you to do this?

Thanks again.

rljones

Re: Samsung NX1 with 3rd Party Lenses
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2015, 10:43:04 pm »

I'll get to Canon lenses in a moment, but I wanted to mention a really nice, manual focus telephoto that I think is under the radar for many people. The lens is a Kowa Prominar. On the NX-1 it is amazingly good. The Kowa comes in several mounts, but I think the Nikon mount version makes the most sense as it can be used on many brands with a simple adapter added between the lens and the camera.

I got the lens off eBay from a Japanese dealer. There is a main head unit, which contains 1 fluorite along with 2 extra-low dispersion elements, and a round 9-bladed diaphragm. Between this unit and the camera are 1 of 3 possible tubes ("mount adapters" per Kowa), used one at a time, which create a 350/4, a 500/5.6 or a 850/9.6 telephoto lens. I got the 350 and 500 units. There is no glass in the 500mm tube, but the 350mm tube has several elements (I think the 350mm tube is behaving like a Speed-Booster).

Since the lens breaks into 2 (or 3 or 4 pieces) it fits smaller camera bags unlike most 500mm lenses. And the weight is rather light at 2 kg. Kowa also makes a special fluorine-coated protective filter (95mm) for the main unit.

While the focus is manual, it's very smooth, having both coarse and fine focusing rings. Close focus is 3 m. Using the EVF on the NX-1 together with MF assist makes using the lens easy (easier than using LV on my D810 in bright light; surprisingly, the NX-1 seems to have better resolution that the D810 with this lens).

The results are amazingly sharp. I recently rented the new Nikon 400/2.8 and the Kowa is every bit as sharp and contrasty. However, the Kowa is not f2.8 or autofocus, but then again, it is not as heavy or as expensive (about ¼ the price).

http://www.kowa-prominar.com/product/telephotolens/index.html

As for actual Canon lenses, you do not need a fancy electronic adapter for most Canon lenses as long as you're content with manual focus and no IS. For me, this is not an issue as I'm mostly interested in TSE lenses. f-stops can be adjusted easily as I'll describe. Most internet searches will say you need a body with a DOF button. Not true.

I'm in the process of trying my 17 and 24 TSE on the NX-1. I've fixed the lenses at f5.6. But this could even be field adjustable since I have an old, inexpensive Canon (Rebel Gii) film body that I can carry around (uses 123A batteries) that does not have a DOF button (again, not needed). 

The process is simple: set desired f-stop in Av (or M) mode, leave cap on lens to trigger a 10 to 30 sec exp and then remove the lens from the body during exposure. f5.6 is fairly reasonable for a crop sensor and not difficult to focus (even the above telephoto is not difficult to focus at f8). Replace lens on the Canon body to either re-set open by taking another exposure, or repeat the above process to set a different f-stop.

While Nikon lenses are often easier to use on other bodies, the 24 PCE, 45 PCE and 85 PCE (except older 85s) all have electronic diaphragms that "cannot" be used on other bodies. Also not true.

Do the same technique on a D series body as on the Canon: adjust f-stop of the PCE lens (manual ring), set to manual exposure for 10 or 20 sec and then remove the lens during the exposure. Now lens is closed down to desired f-stop and you can use on an NX-1 with a basic Nikon adapter (G-type not required). I've done this with a 45 PCE (but did not try it with the borrowed 400/2.8 FE!) Also remember to be careful after removing lens during exposure as the mirror is up until the exposure is completed (maybe immediately place a body cap).

John Koerner

Re: Samsung NX1 with 3rd Party Lenses
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2015, 09:37:17 am »

I'll get to Canon lenses in a moment, but I wanted to mention a really nice, manual focus telephoto that I think is under the radar for many people. The lens is a Kowa Prominar. On the NX-1 it is amazingly good. The Kowa comes in several mounts, but I think the Nikon mount version makes the most sense as it can be used on many brands with a simple adapter added between the lens and the camera.

I got the lens off eBay from a Japanese dealer. There is a main head unit, which contains 1 fluorite along with 2 extra-low dispersion elements, and a round 9-bladed diaphragm. Between this unit and the camera are 1 of 3 possible tubes ("mount adapters" per Kowa), used one at a time, which create a 350/4, a 500/5.6 or a 850/9.6 telephoto lens. I got the 350 and 500 units. There is no glass in the 500mm tube, but the 350mm tube has several elements (I think the 350mm tube is behaving like a Speed-Booster).

Since the lens breaks into 2 (or 3 or 4 pieces) it fits smaller camera bags unlike most 500mm lenses. And the weight is rather light at 2 kg. Kowa also makes a special fluorine-coated protective filter (95mm) for the main unit.

While the focus is manual, it's very smooth, having both coarse and fine focusing rings. Close focus is 3 m. Using the EVF on the NX-1 together with MF assist makes using the lens easy (easier than using LV on my D810 in bright light; surprisingly, the NX-1 seems to have better resolution that the D810 with this lens).

The results are amazingly sharp. I recently rented the new Nikon 400/2.8 and the Kowa is every bit as sharp and contrasty. However, the Kowa is not f2.8 or autofocus, but then again, it is not as heavy or as expensive (about ¼ the price).

http://www.kowa-prominar.com/product/telephotolens/index.html

As for actual Canon lenses, you do not need a fancy electronic adapter for most Canon lenses as long as you're content with manual focus and no IS. For me, this is not an issue as I'm mostly interested in TSE lenses. f-stops can be adjusted easily as I'll describe. Most internet searches will say you need a body with a DOF button. Not true.

I'm in the process of trying my 17 and 24 TSE on the NX-1. I've fixed the lenses at f5.6. But this could even be field adjustable since I have an old, inexpensive Canon (Rebel Gii) film body that I can carry around (uses 123A batteries) that does not have a DOF button (again, not needed). 

The process is simple: set desired f-stop in Av (or M) mode, leave cap on lens to trigger a 10 to 30 sec exp and then remove the lens from the body during exposure. f5.6 is fairly reasonable for a crop sensor and not difficult to focus (even the above telephoto is not difficult to focus at f8). Replace lens on the Canon body to either re-set open by taking another exposure, or repeat the above process to set a different f-stop.

While Nikon lenses are often easier to use on other bodies, the 24 PCE, 45 PCE and 85 PCE (except older 85s) all have electronic diaphragms that "cannot" be used on other bodies. Also not true.

Do the same technique on a D series body as on the Canon: adjust f-stop of the PCE lens (manual ring), set to manual exposure for 10 or 20 sec and then remove the lens during the exposure. Now lens is closed down to desired f-stop and you can use on an NX-1 with a basic Nikon adapter (G-type not required). I've done this with a 45 PCE (but did not try it with the borrowed 400/2.8 FE!) Also remember to be careful after removing lens during exposure as the mirror is up until the exposure is completed (maybe immediately place a body cap).

This is awesome information, just what I was looking for, so thank you for taking the time to post it.

A couple of questions:

1) Does Lightroom fully support the NX1 RAW files? If not, which software renders the NX1 files well? (I've heard there were quality issues with LR's rendering; not sure if they've been addressed.)

2) Does the NX1's articulating viewfinder also let you blow-up the live viewing area to 10x the size (like the 7D) for critical focus? (I use this feature quite a bit on my 7D and don't want to give it up.)

Thanks again,

Jack

rljones

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2015, 10:42:46 am »

I don't use LR so cannot answer your first question, but the second question's answer is 'yes'.

On the NX-1, if you push the 'OK' button while in manual focus mode (which, by definition, is true for all 3rd party lenses), either the screen or the EVF will show a magnified view (either 5x or 8x, depending upon which you chose in the menu system). I'm happy with the 5x view.

When hand-holding (for steadiness) or in bright light, I prefer the EVF. Otherwise, the screen is quite nice and works well for judging focus. I use a green color for correct focus (medium setting) and this shows up clearly in either screen while focusing.

John Koerner

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2015, 12:28:58 pm »

Great, and thanks again.
Pages: [1]   Go Up