Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wind Sculpture  (Read 960 times)

Arlen

Wind Sculpture
« on: March 19, 2015, 09:47:36 pm »

A companion piece to my post from yesterday, but here the sculptor, in one of the driest places on earth, is wind rather than water.

Death Valley; from March 2009, but re-processed.

Les Sparks

• http://www.ncsparks.com
Re: Wind Sculpture
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2015, 10:07:43 pm »

Wonderful black and white. Really enjoyed it.

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2015, 04:56:42 am »

Nice one too.

francois

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2015, 07:54:15 am »

Lovely landscape with a great sky/clouds. B&W is perfect!
Francois

Bob_B

• It's all about light
    • Robert Belas Photography
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2015, 09:21:20 am »

Yes! Love the b/w tonality in this photo.
Robert Belas Photography
www.belasphoto.com

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2015, 09:25:59 am »

A real contrast to your previous post, but equally well executed with wonderful layers and tones. One small critique: with how centrally-placed the sand dune is, the composition is less dynamic - there is less movement through or around the scene.
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

sdwilsonsct

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2015, 10:42:08 am »

This one seems much more dynamic than the previous picture, helped by the lines in the dunes, the uneven distribution of masses, and strong contrast. I like it.

NancyP

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2015, 12:11:09 pm »

Works very well in B&W, good conversion. Pleasing composition.

maddogmurph

• Maddog's Photography
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2015, 07:42:27 pm »

Which sand dunes were these ones?
Maddog Murph
www.depictionsofbeauty.com
Mostly here for constructive feedback.

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2015, 07:49:45 pm »

I like the dynamics and how they work but more and more I find black skies a bit passe.
If it Ain't Broke, Leave it Alone; if it is Broke, Fix it; if it's a Maybe, Play With it - Who Knows

Arlen

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2015, 04:45:49 pm »

Thanks to each of you for your helpful comments.

Maddogmurph, to the best of my recollection these images were taken at the Mesquite Flat Sand Dunes.

Chris, I'm not quite sure what you mean by passe (as in out of fashion?), but if you are saying that you don't find dark skies appealing, then that's a matter of taste that I can't argue with. The sky in that image isn't black, but I agree that it's dark, made to appear more so by my presentation on a white background. In the first attachment below, that same image is shown on a black background, which makes a big difference in how dark the sky looks. In color, white clouds against a deep blue sky present a striking color contrast, but much of that is lost in straight conversion to black and white. So I used a yellow-ish filter effect in conversion to enhance tonal contrast. I liked the effect, but maybe some would say that I overdid it here.

You got me to think about it, so in another image in this series that I'm converting, I made two versions. In the second image below, I again used the same yellow-ish filter effect to enhance contrast. But for comparison, in the 3d image below, I processed the image to maintain approximately the same relative visual contrast between sky and clouds as was in the original color version. I'm actually having a hard time deciding which I like better.

In any event, thanks for stimulating me to examine the issue a little more deeply.

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2015, 10:46:20 pm »

I think, Arlen, I was tinking of it in both considerations, as being "overdone" when it didn't seem to need that much extra contrast though now looking at it on the black BG, it is, as you've noted, not quite as "black as I saw it the first presentation. For me now, the 3rd presentation is my favorite of all three as I do like the relativity of the tonal range.
If it Ain't Broke, Leave it Alone; if it is Broke, Fix it; if it's a Maybe, Play With it - Who Knows
Pages: [1]   Go Up