Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: output to Prophoto RGB?  (Read 11813 times)

nairb

output to Prophoto RGB?
« on: March 18, 2015, 01:45:03 pm »

Hello,

I'm trying to learn Capture One 8 using a D810 coming from a Nikon CaptureNX2 -> 16 Tiff prophotoRGB -> photoshopCS5 where I print from. Needless to say, Capture one seems insanely frustrating coming from a simple workflow to a virtual catalogue with infinite customizations. Driving me mad as I'm already overdue for delivering some files.

Anyway, I cannot seem to find a way to export with a ProphotoRGB colour space. Is this possible? I want to export a 16 bit Tiff to use the u-point control points on my files in NX2 but it seems the best I can get is to export in Adobe RGB.

Thanks for your help

Brian

AlterEgo

Re: output to Prophoto RGB?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2015, 02:18:07 pm »

Hello,

I'm trying to learn Capture One 8 using a D810 coming from a Nikon CaptureNX2 -> 16 Tiff prophotoRGB -> photoshopCS5 where I print from. Needless to say, Capture one seems insanely frustrating coming from a simple workflow to a virtual catalogue with infinite customizations. Driving me mad as I'm already overdue for delivering some files.

Anyway, I cannot seem to find a way to export with a ProphotoRGB colour space. Is this possible? I want to export a 16 bit Tiff to use the u-point control points on my files in NX2 but it seems the best I can get is to export in Adobe RGB.

Thanks for your help

Brian

RTFM, for example http://help.phaseone.com/en/CO8/Output/Process_Files/Learn_More_settings.aspx#item3

if you do not have prophoto icc profile available among existing options - you can create one yourself

nairb

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2015, 02:35:59 pm »

Thank you.

The attitude really wasn't necessary though. I've been reading manuals and watching hours and hours and hours of their tutorials. I did mention I was frustrated. And overwhelmed. I'm coming from a non-catalogue based workflow and this software is very complicated.

Again, Thank you for the help.

Brian

AlterEgo

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2015, 02:41:16 pm »

The attitude
I never read C1 manual, ever... it took me 15 seconds to google the answer...

type the following : help output profile site:phaseone.com

Malcolm Payne

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2015, 02:48:04 pm »

Hi Brian,

Assuming you already have ProPhoto RGB in your system profiles folder, the simplest way of setting up an output recipe in Capture One 8 to do what you want is to go to the Output tab, click on the three dots to the right of the Process Recipes header, then select Add Recipe -> New Recipe (you can also duplicate an existing working recipe and edit that instead, if that would be easier).

The new recipe will initially appear as Untitled Recipe and highlighted in yellow. Left-click once on the recipe name and change it to something useful.

In the second, Process Recipe, subsection, click on the up/down arrows to the right of the ICC Profile dialog box in the Basic tab and select ProPhoto RGB from the list that opens up - it appears near the bottom of the RGB profiles subsection, so you may need to scroll down to find it. Set the other parameters for file format, bit depth etc. as necessary, make sure the selection box to the left of the new recipe is ticked, and you're done.

If you can't locate ProPhoto RGB in the drop-down list of ICC Profiles, there is a remote possibility that it may not be on your system (or not in the system profiles folder) and you might need to install it first.

Hope that does the trick.

Malcolm

Jimmy D Uptain

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2015, 01:15:34 am »

Thank you.

The attitude really wasn't necessary though. I've been reading manuals and watching hours and hours and hours of their tutorials. I did mention I was frustrated. And overwhelmed. I'm coming from a non-catalogue based workflow and this software is very complicated.

Brian

Dude, I didn't see the attitude.
I do however, understand the frustration of learning C1. It is involved and does take some time to grasp. Once you do have a decent understanding, you are then floored by something new. (personal experience)
In that aspect, its actually kind of fun.
Coming from NX2, this will be a bit of a challenge, but not impossible. I have (had) NX2.
I agree that C1's tutorials are lacking simply because they are too basic, or just enough info to confuse you more. Be patient. Having this tool in your kit may well be worth it.
I assume you re a Nikon guy like myself. Feel free to hit me with a PM or email (paintbox@bellsouth.net)
I'll do my best to help you and have no problem telling you Im clueless.

Craig Lamson

• Craig Lamson Photo Homepage
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2015, 09:41:46 am »

Thank you.

Brian

Make your life much easier and work in sessions instead of collections.

Then add the quick tab to your tools and do the bulk of your work from there to simplify at first.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 09:44:48 am by Craig Lamson »
Craig Lamson Photo

morozko

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2015, 10:50:40 am »

Brian,

as mentioned above you can set ProPhoto as output profile in export tab recipes.

In case you do not find ProPhoto on you system it can be found as downloadable ICC profile on http://www.color.org/chardata/rgb/rommrgb.xalter It's called ROMM RGB there,  see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ProPhoto_RGB_color_space for more info on ProPhoto/ROMM

Note that C1 changes numerical HSV and RGB values in viewer as you change proofing profile

...Anyway, I cannot seem to find a way to export with a ProphotoRGB colour space.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2015, 10:58:58 am »

I don't use C1, but it would be useful to know from them IF the underlying color space benefits from export and rendering to ProPhoto RGB. For example, Aperture uses Adobe RGB (1998) gamut for processing so spitting out ProPhoto RGB is kind of pointless. Adobe raw converters do use ProPhoto gamut for processing so it makes total sense to use that as the master color space for an archive. Might be useful to know if ProPhoto RGB is a good match for C1.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

ario

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2015, 01:52:30 pm »

I don't use C1, but it would be useful to know from them IF the underlying color space benefits from export and rendering to ProPhoto RGB. For example, Aperture uses Adobe RGB (1998) gamut for processing so spitting out ProPhoto RGB is kind of pointless. Adobe raw converters do use ProPhoto gamut for processing so it makes total sense to use that as the master color space for an archive. Might be useful to know if ProPhoto RGB is a good match for C1.
As far as I remember in one of the LL Video Tutorials for Capture One, Walter Borchenko was suggesting to embed the camera profile as ICC profile in the export option. That was for CO 5, some time ago, I do not know if the suggestion is still valid.

AlterEgo

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2015, 02:07:27 pm »

As far as I remember in one of the LL Video Tutorials for Capture One, Walter Borchenko was suggesting to embed the camera profile as ICC profile in the export option. That was for CO 5, some time ago, I do not know if the suggestion is still valid.
you still can do this... PCS for profiles supplied by P1 is cieLAB (that certainly is not a guarantee the color transform there is not clamping the output into a narrower gamut)
« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 02:09:06 pm by AlterEgo »

JWB

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2015, 03:26:33 pm »

That's not accurate. Aperture uses it's own custom working space. Aperture just makes Adobe TGB (1998) available for output. I assume that C1P works the same way that Aperture works. There should be no reason to worry about your working space, just input and output.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2015, 03:29:05 pm »

That's not accurate. Aperture uses it's own custom working space.
Agreed, based on Adobe RGB (1998) primaries and a 1.0 TRC.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

tim wolcott

• http://www.galleryoftheamericanlandscape.com
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2015, 01:24:41 am »

You just change it in the process recipe.  Click on the gear and change the settings.  Of course this is a huge advancement but I don't understand why your having the problem.  This is the easier of all the processing software with absolute precision.  And no I don't work for Capture One.  Making colors contrast masks in registration to solid state pigment prints now thats hard.  Hope that helps  Tim
Pages: [1]   Go Up