Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to post a foto ?  (Read 35664 times)

dumainew

How to post a foto ?
« on: March 18, 2015, 10:35:15 am »

How do I make a foto, let's say it's a 20MB TIFF file, go onto this LuLa forum without significantly degrading it's resolution and color ? Should it be a JPG ? At what size ? I know there's a 4 MB limit. Does that mean the total amount for a single file, or the total for all files  submitted in the post ?
Appreciate any suggestions.
Thanks.
Richard

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
Re: How to post a foto ?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2015, 12:21:38 pm »

There is no 1 right answer to this as far getting to a jpg.  Yes, the file should be a jpg for posting and in sRGB color space, IMO. 

You can use LR, save for web, which will convert the color space and save the image as jpg, you can pick the size.  The 4MB limit is per image,  Save it as 72 dpi, for web viewing, no larger.

If you don't have LR, then there are many actions, you can pick up both free and for a small charge that will do this:

In CC,
You need to do resample and downsample the image for the web.  You have a 20MB tiff.  I would just go to image size, and convert the file there.  Convert the dpi to 72 and make sure the image is no larger than say 11 x 16 inches.  Down sample it and then convert the color space to sRGB if you are not there already.  Save it as a jpg, quality 9 to 11 and look for a final size of between 600KB to 1.2KB  or .6MB to 1.2MB.  That should be plenty large enough.

I am sure everyone has their own way of getting here.

This is just one idea.  My my own work, I have a quick action I run in CC that does all of above in a simple 1 step process.

Paul
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

dumainew

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2015, 12:04:58 pm »

Paul,
Sorry for the long delay.
I very much appreciate your help.
When I follow your careful steps to posting an image, some do well and some don't.
It's puzzling. But I shall keep on trying.
Thank you again.
Richard

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2015, 12:13:02 pm »

...some do well and some don't...

Hi Richard,

Would you walk us through your steps, especially those that "don't"?

onlineprinting

• Online Prining
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2015, 12:25:33 am »

I don't see any problem in posting images here, just use jpg file because of less space also the forum will load fast. If you are uploading large files then it is waste of time to the readers.

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2015, 10:42:57 am »

Please note the Terms of Service to which you agreed on registration.

...Any attachments to your posts should not be larger than 800 pixels on any side...

If you want to post something larger, simply post the image to a website or location of your choosing and include a link in your post.

The reason for this limitation is the cost of bandwidth.

Chris Sanderson

dumainew

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2015, 01:57:29 pm »

Just getting around to trying Paul's recipe. And it works. To a 'tea'. Thank you all for your input. Richard

Rainer SLP

• RS-Fotografia
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2015, 04:52:49 pm »

Hi Paul,

... Save it as 72 dpi ...

That is not necessary, as a monitor has a certain amount of pixels.

You can specify as dpi be it 1 dpi or be it 5000 dpi, the image will be always represented in pixel values independently from the dpi setting

A for example 1500 x 1000 pixel image will always be represented in 1500 x 1000 pixel.

OK if we have 2 different monitor sizes side by side with the same possible pixel size representation eg. a 20" monitor with 1920 x 108o pixels and anther one eg. 27" monitor with 1920 x 1080 of course the image on the 27" monitor will look bigger as viewed on the 20" monitor because of the pixel pitch ...

for example I have a ViewSonic 27" monitor and on the horizontal I have 1920 pixels on a distance of 551 mm which equals to ~88.51 pixels per inch (¿ dots per inch ?)

and then I have another ViewSonic 24" monitor and on the horizontal I have 1920 pixels on a distance of 509 mm which equals to  ~95.81 pixels per inch (¿ dots per inch ?)

dots per inch is for the printing where IT DOES MATTER ...
Thanks and regards Rainer
 I am here for

Rainer SLP

• RS-Fotografia
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2015, 05:03:05 pm »

Paul,
Sorry for the long delay.
I very much appreciate your help.
When I follow your careful steps to posting an image, some do well and some don't.
It's puzzling. But I shall keep on trying.
Thank you again.
Richard

Maybe an easier approach is the following

My camera delivers images in a size of 5760 x 3840 pixels wide and high

These I downsize in Photoshop by " Ctrl-Alt-Img " my image down to maybe 1500 x 1000 or 1000 x 1500 pixels.

Then I go into the menu " Save for Web " and choose the 100% quality. You can see the resulting size of the image in kb. There you can choose the desired value of compression in kb and save it. By moving the slider you can see how the image size in kb decreases ( not pixel size) that remains always the same.

Save for the Web in the actual programs also bring the advanatge that the image is converted into the sRGB color profile which all browsers do understand with no problem and present the image correctly in colours to the viewer.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 01:32:59 pm by Rainer SLP »
Thanks and regards Rainer
 I am here for

Jimbo57

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2015, 06:43:18 am »

Save it as 72 dpi, for web viewing...

Paul

Paul,

That is incorrect, meaningless and irrelevant.......but a very common misconception.

Jim

Telecaster

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2015, 12:12:59 am »

Please note the Terms of Service to which you agreed on registration.

...Any attachments to your posts should not be larger than 800 pixels on any side...

Given that LuLa actually allows much larger attachments than this, wouldn't it be wise to put a hard restriction on in-post upload dimensions? I'd forgotten all about this limit and have routinely used 1024 pixels as my max longest/widest dimension. On occasion I've gone with 2048 pixels too.  :o

-Dave-
Pages: [1]   Go Up