Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Print pricing when entering the market?  (Read 28556 times)

dkeyes

• http://
Print pricing when entering the market?
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2007, 02:17:25 am »

This topic didn't seem to belong anywhere else (like Equipment/Techniques) so I've posted it here.

I'm wrestling with how to determine pricing of my fine art prints. 

Any advice or personal experience you can share on how to set your print prices when you first start out?

Thanks!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=56329\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Someone asked me this question years ago and I think it's a good one to think about.
How much would you pay (or have you paid) for a piece of art? It goes to the issue of how much you value art in your life and conversely, how much you expect people to value your art. I don't "buy" the idea that it's too expensive to afford art over $100 as many people often say. Taking the low road to pricing says that you don't value your own art. Some of the best collectors aren't rich, they are artists who love art in their life and are willing to sacrific the daily latte or whatever to buy it.

Another thing to think about is whether you want to be a creator or a producer.
A creator spends much of their time coming up with ideas and executing those ideas. A producer spends much of their time executing a few ideas over and over. Small editions at a higher price keep the ideas going. Large or no editions might sell a larger quantity of work (due to the lower price) but at the expense of moving on with new ideas.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up