Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: printing in CS2 w/ epson 2400  (Read 10569 times)

yodelyo

printing in CS2 w/ epson 2400
« on: January 18, 2006, 07:50:05 pm »

Hi, i posted this in the wrong area previously, forgive me!

hello all...i am on a mac OS 10.3.9 with epson 2400 printer, I was printing perfectly in photoshop CS, now that I bought CS2 I am getting flat prints, with strange blocking up in the shadows. I print with the epson velvet fine art, with the 2400epsvelvfinart.bestphot.icc printer profile (sic) in the print preview, let photoshop determine colors, black point compensation off ( and on, tried both ) and relative colmetric ( and perceptual,tried both). then go to print, select settings correctly, turn off color management, then print and it looks flat!! I calibrate with Mo
naco optix, but I did that with CS also, same files that used to print great are now looking muddy. help!!

nreflect

« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2006, 08:24:10 pm »

I've experienced this with Epson's velvet fineart paper several times, and I find that I have printed on the uncoated side.  With this paper it can be difficult to determine which is the printable side.  Simply flip the paper over and print on the opposite side.  

Good luck.

yodelyo

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2006, 01:01:26 pm »

I've experienced this with Epson's velvet fineart paper several times, and I find that I have printed on the uncoated side.  With this paper it can be difficult to determine which is the printable side.  Simply flip the paper over and print on the opposite side. 

Good luck.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=56527\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

no, that is not it. i have done that before. this problem is a less severe print quality defiency than that.

budjames

• http://www.budjamesphotography.com
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2006, 06:17:37 am »

I replaced my Epson 2200 with the new R2400. I run PSCS2 on a Dell Precision Workstation (WinXP Pro). Using various manufactuerers papers, mostly Epson, Hahnemuhler, and Moab, and the associated profiles, the results are stunning.

The images are much improved over the 2200 with no bronzing on luster or glossy papers. Blacks are much deeper on matte papers with not evidence of a color cast as I experienced occasionally with the certain images on the 2200.

My 2 cents.

Bud James
North Wales, PA
Bud James
North Wales, PA [url=http://ww

soboyle

• shaunoboylephoto.com
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2006, 12:47:05 pm »

My favorite paper when I had my 2200 was Velvet Fine Art, I had a custom profile made and had stunning B&W prints. I havent been able to repeat this on VFA with the 2400, as you said, the prints were flat using the provided profile, and the advanced B&W printer driver as well. I havent had time to persued it further so hope someone has a solution here.

yodelyo

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2006, 10:29:29 pm »

i am having this problem with all my papers now, there is something very wrong. I called epson, they said the printer was fine since my nozzles were not clogged etc. they said the problem was with photoshop. I was not sure about this but then i printed in iPhoto and the prints looked great. i followed all the correct procedures for printing with CS2 but something is making all the prints very flat. is there someone I can pay to fix problems like this? I am a busy commercial photog that wants to spend time AWAY from computer problems!!!

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2006, 11:09:58 pm »

Do you mske your colour and luminosity adjustments with soft proofing on or off? If you do not have soft-proofing turned on while you are adjusting colour, brightness/contrast, the print on the monitor will look much more vibrant than the result on matte papers. With soft-proofing on, assuming you have it set-up correctly with the right profile, your moniter image will more closely resemble the appearance of the print, and induce you to enhance accordingly before printing.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

how786

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2006, 12:40:56 am »

Just wondering, why not go back to using CS? Try and see if you can still make good prints with it.
Howard

yodelyo

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2006, 10:02:44 am »

Just wondering, why not go back to using CS? Try and see if you can still make good prints with it.
Howard
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=57984\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

hi
i thought about that but i do not have the cs software anymore.....

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2006, 10:29:15 am »

In any event this should be absolutely unnecessary. PSCS2 is every bit as capable and more user-friendly than CS1 at getting colour management right, and the Epson profiles really do a very good job. From what you say throughout this thread I can't help but believe there is some setttings issue between Photoshop and the printer driver that you haven't detected yet.

wynpotter

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2006, 01:12:39 pm »

Since I have not switched from cs1 to cs2, is there anythine that cs2 changed in the way a profile is attached to an image that is not readily apparent to a cs1 user that might be the cause of the problem. Is the convert or assign profile feature the same?
Could the monitor profile be defaulted to another profile than the cs1 was using, and thus throwing off the whole ball of wax.
Just thought I"d try to jog anyone's thoughts on this. Wyndham

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2006, 05:14:21 pm »

The meaning and performance of "Convert" and "Assign have not changed. As for the remainder of the good questions you put, when up-grading Photoshop I always make sure the right things got transferred to the right places by checking them once the new version of the application is up and running. Once the profiles are in the correct folder and the settings are verified, the program will most likely do what it is supposed to do. But definitely worth checking.

efillink

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2006, 03:38:01 am »

The meaning and performance of "Convert" and "Assign have not changed. As for the remainder of the good questions you put, when up-grading Photoshop I always make sure the right things got transferred to the right places by checking them once the new version of the application is up and running. Once the profiles are in the correct folder and the settings are verified, the program will most likely do what it is supposed to do. But definitely worth checking.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=58013\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

It will be a good idea to install the latest driver for the printer since you have the latest PS to go with it.

I have seen postings talking about the same problem and mention the driver was the problem.  Give this a try.  It can't hurt.

www.efillink.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up