Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "Profile Prism" who has experience?  (Read 5548 times)

paulbk

"Profile Prism" who has experience?
« on: January 17, 2006, 08:11:30 pm »

Profile Prism is used to generate ICC profiles by printing a reference target, then scanning the printed target, then using the software ($79) to make on-screen adjustment and create an ICC profile. Almost sounds too good to be true. Anyone here use it? Know anything about it?

fyi.. Profile Prism comes from the maker of Qimage.

p
« Last Edit: January 17, 2006, 08:12:34 pm by paulbk »
paul b.k.
New England, USA

DarkPenguin

« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2006, 08:55:32 pm »

For the price it is supposed to be nice.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp...essage=16670597

lcafiero

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2006, 11:58:05 am »

I'm using it.IMO it is good,easy to learn and fast.If you have a decent scanner you can quickly produce a lot of good profiles.I've used it,f.i.,for profiling the Pictorico Hi-Gloss White Film paper(no profiles available from Pictorico)for the Epson R2400,getting good results.I think it's worth much more than the price (really inexpensive),and tech support is friendly and fast.

luca

ps  Of course you cannot compare it to very expensive hardware gear,but I've been satisfied.

paulbk

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2006, 12:31:12 pm »

luca,
Thanks for the feedback. A few questions.

re: "If you have a decent scanner.."
What would you consider a decent scanner?

re: "..cannot compare it to very expensive hardware gear,"
I"m not sure what you mean here. Are you saying profiles from Profile Prism are far worse than professionally made custom profiles? OR.. only slightly not as good?

paul
paul b.k.
New England, USA

lcafiero

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2006, 05:13:43 am »

Hi Paul,
I've used an old Epson Perfection 1200S and it worked fine for me.Anyway,you can find instructions on how to check the scanner in the PP help notes.

Compared to professional profiling hardware PP is LESS ACCURATE, but it's also a lot less expensive.If you buy just one custom profile,it will cost more or less as PP.BTW I had very good custom  profiles (for the 2100) made from Christophe Metairie Photographie (in France,but less expensive than the custom profiles you can purchase in the US,and I live in Italy) and they were very close to the PP ones I've made by myself after purchasing PP.
I'd suggest to download the Help from the PP site,because you can find a lot of explications about the PP,its features and limits.
Regards

Luca

lcafiero

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2006, 12:51:46 pm »

Hi Paul,I've just printed twice an image (with Qimage) on Moab Kokopelli Satin paper,the first time using the Moab profile from their site,the second time using the profile I had made with PP (same settings,of course). No so big difference,but the PP profile print has sensibly better shadows details.
Just my 2c.
Regards

Luca

paulbk

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2006, 05:19:43 pm »

Thanks Luca, I may give it a try when I get a new scanner.
p
paul b.k.
New England, USA
Pages: [1]   Go Up