Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Trouble opening Autopan tiffs in C18  (Read 4671 times)

slowframe

Trouble opening Autopan tiffs in C18
« on: March 08, 2015, 12:45:39 pm »

I'm sure I'm doing something wrong. My workflow is from Sigma Photo Pro (6.2.1), exported to tiffs. I then stitch in Autopan Giga and create a tiff. I can open that file with Preview (I'm on a Mac) and it seems normal. However, C18 isn't recognising it for import, although it's otherwise happy to import tiffs. The files are large (512mb).

Any ideas? I'm grateful for any advice.

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
Re: Trouble opening Autopan tiffs in C18
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2015, 01:49:54 pm »

I would see if you create a jpg, will C1 open it?  Sometimes a tiff is written to a format another program will not see, due to compression or other issues.  Just a thought.  I realize you don't want to work on a jpg, but if C1 opens that, then there may be something C1 doesn't like in your current written tif format.

Or also try dropping to a 8 bit tif and see if C1 will work with it.
Paul
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

slowframe

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2015, 02:44:50 pm »

I would see if you create a jpg, will C1 open it?  Sometimes a tiff is written to a format another program will not see, due to compression or other issues.  Just a thought.  I realize you don't want to work on a jpg, but if C1 opens that, then there may be something C1 doesn't like in your current written tif format.

Or also try dropping to a 8 bit tif and see if C1 will work with it.
Paul

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the idea. I've given it a try, and it works with jpg. So, it doesn't appear to be a naming issue, at least. I tried saving the file as 8bit and 16bit, and also as uncompressed and using LZW compression. Nothing so far. Your suggestion gave me another idea, and I tried opening it with Preview and then resaving it through Preview as tiff, but no joy.

I can't imagine that 512mb is too big. I can try another editor, but I like working in C18.

I'm open to other ideas, if you have them. I appreciate your taking the time to respond.

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2015, 04:21:42 pm »

Your post made remember one from a year ago same issue C1 would not open a file after it reached a certain file size. This may be the issue with your. But 512 to me is not that large. As is recall the files in the other post were over a gig in size.

Might open a tech question with C1 on this issue.

Paul
Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

slowframe

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2015, 05:16:57 pm »

Your post made remember one from a year ago same issue C1 would not open a file after it reached a certain file size. This may be the issue with your. But 512 to me is not that large. As is recall the files in the other post were over a gig in size.

Might open a tech question with C1 on this issue.

Paul

It's interesting to know that that has been a problem in the past.

Well, I'll open a ticket with them and see what they say. I'll report back in case it's helpful to others.

JWB

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2015, 09:13:36 pm »

I had this problem recently. It turns out that Autopano Giga is saving the TIFF with an alpha channel. I opened the TIFF in Preview and saved it without the alpha channel and it opened fine in C1P8.

You might want to make sure that your pano is cropped as well to ensure that you don't have transparent areas along the edges.

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2015, 09:34:54 am »

Ptgui does the same thing in writing an alpha channel and a lot of programs don't like that. I always turn that option off

Paul
Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

slowframe

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2015, 06:52:51 pm »

I had this problem recently. It turns out that Autopano Giga is saving the TIFF with an alpha channel. I opened the TIFF in Preview and saved it without the alpha channel and it opened fine in C1P8.

You might want to make sure that your pano is cropped as well to ensure that you don't have transparent areas along the edges.

Thanks! This worked a charm. I just resaved the file in Preview with the alpha channel turned off. I'll see if there is a way to do it in Autopan itself, but the workaround is easy enough.

Remko

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2015, 05:30:20 am »

Thanks! This worked a charm. I just resaved the file in Preview with the alpha channel turned off. I'll see if there is a way to do it in Autopan itself, but the workaround is easy enough.

I just had a look myself. You can indeed have Autopano Giga save a TIFF without an Alpha channel.

The path is (on a Mac): Preferences -> Render tab -> Exported Data: select "Remove alpha channel".

cheers,
Remko

slowframe

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2015, 08:11:27 am »

I just had a look myself. You can indeed have Autopano Giga save a TIFF without an Alpha channel.

The path is (on a Mac): Preferences -> Render tab -> Exported Data: select "Remove alpha channel".

cheers,
Remko

That's better than the workaround. Thank you; I'm new to Autopan Giga. I wish the stitched image I'd been working on was a bit better, but that's due to me rather than the software. Here's the result; Thank you to everyone on this thread for helping me out:

Pages: [1]   Go Up