Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Idaho's Owyhee Wilderness  (Read 1850 times)

MasonJarr

Idaho's Owyhee Wilderness
« on: February 24, 2015, 11:38:28 pm »

I went out to camp for a few days last week.  The first day was partly cloudy and had good light.  Day 2 came along and brought a storm with snow.

mbaginy

Re: Idaho's Owyhee Wilderness
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2015, 01:01:48 am »

Very nice shots!  I especially like the third.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 02:45:06 am by Mike D. B. »

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2015, 03:38:07 am »

Good set.

#1 has some good rocks in the foreground, adding interest and complementing the distant sky.

#2 again has a strong foreground and some interesting clouds.

#3 is more dramatic due to the weather, but I find the composition less interesting, with the 50-50 division between land and sky.

MasonJarr

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2015, 10:24:18 am »

Thanks for the feedback.  I'll try a crop on the 3rd image and see how it turns out.

cesccosta

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2015, 10:49:13 am »

for me, in the first and second, cut in the foreground, I distract from what's important.

Third , I dare to put a proposal , I hope not bother you. But it is difficult to explain otherwise .

MasonJarr

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2015, 11:00:53 am »

No bother.  That's kind of what I had in mind.  I don't want to lose too much of the sky in the 3rd because that was the whole purpose of the image.  I like to keep the 2:3 ratio on my crops, but I might have to go more panoramic for this one.  I'll play around with it today.  Thanks for the ideas.

Arlen

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2015, 12:26:42 pm »

That's some wondrous countryside over there, relatively unknown and seldom visited. I spend time on the lower end of it, below the reservoir, on fishing excursions every few years. Exploring the more remote upper sections is on my list of things to do.

MasonJarr

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2015, 01:19:14 pm »

It is Arlen.  A lack of water keeps most people away.  With the wilderness designation for a large portion of the area, no motorized vehicles are allowed making it a hard place to explore.  I've backpacked across it from the Nevada border to the Snake River, about 95 miles and it was grueling, but very beautiful.  In the 6 days it took to do it the weather went from a mild 72 degrees to hot (in the 90s) and then back into the 30s with snow and sleet.  It's worth the effort though.

MasonJarr

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2015, 03:02:20 pm »

How's this version?  Better?  Still needs work?  Hopeless? 

Walt Roycraft

• roycraftart
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2015, 07:32:36 pm »

How's this version?  Better?  Still needs work?  Hopeless? 

This is a really nice shot. I like the cropping on this one better than original. I love it as it is but I think it would be time well spent to play around with it some more.
Walter Roycraft
http://www.roycraftart.c

MasonJarr

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2015, 01:35:44 am »

This has been a hard image for me to process.  I think this version is a little better than the other two though. 

cesccosta

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2015, 03:21:29 am »

Much better !.
I like the cut and increased contrast.
I would like more dramatic. But that is a matter of personal style.

MasonJarr

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2015, 09:52:14 am »

The more dramatic clouds in your version definitely add to the image, but my last attempt is about what I saw when I slammed on the brakes and jumped out to take it.  I appreciate the ideas and feedback.  I learn more each day.

NancyP

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2015, 10:33:34 am »

I really like the last version of #3.
You don't mean to say that you have to pack ALL your water in for the entire 6 days? That would be a non-starter for a lot of people - 18 kg / 60+ pounds of just water. That's about half my body weight.

MasonJarr

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2015, 11:04:04 am »

I really like the last version of #3.
You don't mean to say that you have to pack ALL your water in for the entire 6 days? That would be a non-starter for a lot of people - 18 kg / 60+ pounds of just water. That's about half my body weight.

Thank you.  There are some rivers that flow through the desert, but they're always at the bottom of the canyons and some of the canyons are DEEP.  When backpacking, I've used a water filter to draw water out of puddles and cattle tanks.  It really is a harsh environment, but oh so beautiful. I don't think it'll ever be one of our most visited wilderness areas.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 11:08:57 am by MasonJarr »

NancyP

« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2015, 05:00:41 pm »

I am fortunate in that my local hiking has lots of flowing water, from seasonal washes to nameless creeks to small rivers. The big rivers - well, you need a pre-filter for the pre-filter (cloth to standard pre-filter to actual filter) - that's why it is called "the big muddy" (Missouri River and its confluence with Mississippi, which receives all that silt brought by the Missouri). One to two liters and a Sawyer filter for refills is good for most of Missouri (for the fussy who prefer to use less-polluted sources).

MasonJarr

« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2015, 09:18:09 pm »

The other parts of Idaho have plenty of water sources, just not this desert.  My GF and I are backpacking the Idaho Centennial Trail which starts at the Nevada border and goes to the Canadian border.  It's about 980 miles or so and we try to do 130-150 miles each year.  We're 390 miles into right now and have two trips planned for later this year that will add another 150 miles so we'll be over half way.  I'm hoping to finish it before I turn 60 and I'll be 56 this summer.

Where I grew up in Georgia we drank the water right out of streams and never got sick.  I didn't know anything about parasites and bacteria.  Then when I lived in Alaska I drank that pristine water and got giardiasis twice, so I've been filtering my water ever since.
Pages: [1]   Go Up