Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fearsome Visage  (Read 569 times)

Arlen

Fearsome Visage
« on: February 20, 2015, 10:41:37 pm »

Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water...

...you find out about this scary creature.

Bob_B

• It's all about light
    • Robert Belas Photography
Re: Fearsome Visage
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2015, 09:07:25 am »

Great image. I especially like the lighting and color combination. Fearsome indeed.
Robert Belas Photography
www.belasphoto.com

stamper

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2015, 05:56:25 am »

Is it edible? I like the processing and colour.

Arlen

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2015, 06:04:45 pm »

Is it edible?

Maybe, in some parts of the world. However, I think it might be asking the same thing about us.

These guys not only look fearsome, they have an attitude to go with it. The picture above is of the 1.5 inch larva of a Predaceous Diving Beetle. They live in the weedy shallows of lakes and ponds. That one gave me quite a start when I saw it swimming near my legs while wading, but I netted it for a closer look. When I reached down with some forceps to pick it out of the net, it whirled and grabbed them so hard with those wicked pincers that I heard their clang on metal! They are stalking hunters, and will catch and eat even small fish.

When they grow up they look a bit more like what we expect of a beetle. The adults remain in the water, less ferocious than the juveniles, but maintaining a similar carvivorous lifestyle.

They often hang from the surface while searching for prey below, and carry an air bubble under their wings when they dive for their victim.

I realize that most people wouldn't use "bug" and "pretty picture" in the same sentence, which may explain why we see so few photos of them on these pages. But I find their striking features very interesting, so I hope you'll indulge my sharing a few buggy portraits from time time. And of course feel free to express your thoughts, whether admiration, loathing or disgust, as you would for any other images.  :)

Pages: [1]   Go Up