Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Slider shift on Lightroom for Mac  (Read 3043 times)

Mais78

Slider shift on Lightroom for Mac
« on: February 15, 2015, 05:22:23 pm »

I have used LR for Windows for years and I cannot get used to something tha happens on the Mac version: every time I click on a slider handle to activate it it shifts the valueof the slider from zero to some random value in the vicinity. In windows it just leaves it on zero.
It is really driving me nuts, is there a fix to it?
Thanks

John Caldwell

Re: Slider shift on Lightroom for Mac
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2015, 05:32:59 pm »

This is certainly not the expected behavior, as it should act just like you experienced in Windows. Any chance the problem is a clerical one, meaning that the pointer is being inadvertently dragged away from the null point? I know that a new mouse or trackpad takes me time to get used to.

John Caldwell

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2015, 06:02:49 pm »

My workaround is not to click on the slider, but hover the mouse pointer over it, and it will be activated (highlighted). The I use arrows to move it.

rdonson

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2015, 07:01:05 pm »

I assume you're using a mouse.

I use a trackpad.  If I click with my thumb and then move with my finger it does the same thing unless you're extremely careful and lucky.  The only way around this on the trackpad that I've found is to enable "three finger drag".  Then its back to the behaviour you're after.

Honestly, I've not found the movement off the middle point a concern, just something I expect as I'm going to be moving the slider anyway.  If I'm looking for very precise control of the slider I use the same technique Slobodan mentions or I type a value into the box or I use the scrubby in the box. 
Regards,
Ron

ButchM

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2015, 07:44:39 pm »

My workaround is not to click on the slider, but hover the mouse pointer over it, and it will be activated (highlighted). The I use arrows to move it.

That is not a workaround ... that is how it supposed to work. At least on Mac OS X ...  ;)

You do not need to click on the slider to activate it ... if you notice, when the pointer is hovered over a slider, the heading at the left side of the slider becomes highlighted, indicating it is now active. (Likewise for the numerical value of the slider at the right.) This is by design, not by happenstance.

Hover the pointer over the the slider you wish to adjust. Then using the Up and Down arrows on the keyboard will adjust the slider in 5 point increments. Use the Up and Down arrows along with the Shift Key and the slider will move in 20 point increments. If you use the Up or Down arrow keys and the Option Key, the slider will love in one point increments.

Additionally ... if you click on the numerical value at the right you can then manually enter a numerical value for that specific slider.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 07:46:52 pm by ButchM »

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2015, 07:50:25 pm »

That is not a workaround ... that is how it supposed to work...

I can not guarantee it, but the reason I was clicking initially on it (and getting the same frustrating result as the OP) was that in the previous versions of either LR or OS that's how it worked (i.e., you needed to click on it). Besides, it is all semantics.

ButchM

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2015, 08:06:56 pm »

Besides, it is all semantics.

Yes ... there are many things today that have changed from how we did them yesterday ...  :D

There is nothing semantical about it. Clicking on a slider does NOT activate the slider in OS X. (It's been that way since at least Lr v3.x ... maybe longer.) The pointer coming to the same proximity of the slider does activate the slider. Clicking on a slider doesn't do any other function than move the slider to the point where you clicked. By the time a user actually "clicks" on the slider, it is already active. That's not a play on words or a situation of multiple interpretation of a function.

Mais78

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2015, 03:47:56 pm »

Thanks guys, I guess I need to get used to the new tecnique
Pages: [1]   Go Up