Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon 5Ds and 5Ds R samples at flickr  (Read 36797 times)

chrismuc

Canon 5Ds and 5Ds R samples at flickr
« on: February 13, 2015, 11:37:08 am »

https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotoblogia/16490416232/in/album-72157650747935575/

Canon 5Ds and 5Ds R samples in full resolution with different lenses incl. TSE 17, TSE 24 and 11-24.

Damn convincing for a 4K EUR camera :-)

Bart_van_der_Wolf

Re: Canon 5Ds and 5Ds R samples at flickr
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2015, 12:01:41 pm »

https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotoblogia/16490416232/in/album-72157650747935575/

Canon 5Ds and 5Ds R samples in full resolution with different lenses incl. TSE 17, TSE 24 and 11-24.

Hi,

Thanks for the link.

I don't know what they did with the sharpening, but it leaves a lot to be desired...
But that's not the fault of the camera.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Atina

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2015, 12:25:23 pm »

Which new lenses has Canon released which are supposed to go well with this camera and which new ones are coming?

Dshelly

• Darryl Shelly Photography
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2015, 01:03:31 pm »

I am quite pleased with these samples. I rarely require edge to edge sharpness, but it's nice to know it's available when needed. I look forward to testing out this camera.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2015, 01:14:55 pm »

Which new lenses has Canon released which are supposed to go well with this camera and which new ones are coming?

Hi,

All lenses go well with this camera, and the higher sampling density of the sensor allows to pull out a higher quality image, but the newer versions released since roughly the last ten years were usually redesigned with digital cameras in mind.

The lens design (software) capabilities, and (rare earth, and other mixes, e.g. replacing lead) lens materials, and manufacturing processes (shaping of Fluorite, mass production of aspherical lens surfaces) are constantly being improved. Therefore, more recent lenses have a higher probability of being better than their predecessors. Typically the 'L' lenses, often marked as type II when they replace an earlier design, are usually the best.

Nobody who really could know, can tell which lenses will be replaced in the future.

Cheers,
Bart

Steve Hendrix

• http://www.captureintegration.com/
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2015, 02:52:21 pm »

The JPGs don't do anything for me from an evaluative standpoint.

Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration
Steve Hendrix • 404-543-8475 www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Alpa | Cambo | Sinar | Arca Swiss

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2015, 03:01:44 pm »

Hi,

I would agree on that. Full size JPEGs may tell a bit of the story, but for any real judgement, raw images are needed.

Best regards
Erik
Erik Kaffehr

Ken R

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2015, 03:04:34 pm »

Thx for posting.

Technically these samples really don't cut the mustard. I see banding, sharpening artifacts, some haloing, some "glow" in parts of the images. At times the image looks like an uprezed image from a 5D3. Overall pretty ugly at 100%.

Maybe it's the jpg?

Also, use of a polarizer with the 17mm really?

I would expect better.

The studio photos have some really nice production / creative value and are perfect for showing what a high res camera can do unfortunately the jpgs really don't the scenes justice.

synn

• My fine art portfolio
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2015, 09:44:46 am »

Anyone who compares these files to MF need to spend a little time with an MF camera.
my portfolio: www.sandeepmurali.com

douglevy

• New England Wedding Photographer Doug Levy
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2015, 10:03:18 am »

What Synn said.

pfigen

• http://www.peterfigen.com
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2015, 10:23:00 am »

If you're wanting to show of your new tiny pixel high resolution sensor, this is not the way to do it. These images are horrible on multiple levels, most of them technical. And, obviously someone in Canon's marketing department approved of every one of these to be released to the public. Canon is known for having really crappy pre-release samples, but these don't do anything to generate any level of excitement. At least not here.

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2015, 10:56:10 am »

...Canon is known for having really crappy pre-release samples...

so is Zeiss ( look at the 55mm Otus samples !)
so is Nikon (d800 and beyond samples !)

I do not understand this kind of marketing...
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

synn

• My fine art portfolio
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2015, 11:20:02 am »

No amount of fine technique can magically get amazing output from what is an oversized 7D2 sensor, which is a slightly updated 7D sensor.

torger

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2015, 12:17:37 pm »

I think this are regular out-of-camera jpegs. I like the dead-tree and the mysterious-water-and-architecture shot as images, but from these images you can't really figure out performance. "Impress shots" on the web are generally heavily post-processed products, so you can't figure out any performance from them either, what you need is raw files and we'll have to wait for that.

Meanwhile I don't think it really matters what images the manufacturer would release... people see what they want to see.

I think 7D2 was a large upgrade from the 7D in terms of sensor performance, it has no banding noise for example which is a big thing for Canon, if we get 7D2 pixel performance I think the 5DS will be okay, although forum folks would have preferred DR in class with Sony CMOS of course. Concerning color rendition we'll have to wait and see. For typical studio work the DR will of course not be an issue, hasn't been for a long time.

There are still many photographers out there that don't worry that much about having the best DxOmark numbers or think much about the elusive MFD or CCD look or whatever, and for those I think this camera will provide a new interesting mix of high resolution, speed and flexibility. Maybe architecture photographer Iwan Baan will consider swapping out his 1DX for this one...

yaya

• http://yayapro.com
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2015, 12:26:29 pm »

Maybe architecture photographer Iwan Baan will consider swapping out his 1DX for this one...

I doubt it as he shoots mostly hand-held...if he was in need for a high resolution camera he would have gone medium format a long time ago...
Yair Shahar | Product Manager | Phase One - Cultural Heritage
e: ysh@phaseone.com |

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2015, 12:30:40 pm »

Anyone who compares these files to MF need to spend a little time with an MF camera.

Ah, you have 5DS / 5DS R Raw files you want to share?

Cheers,
Bart

synn

• My fine art portfolio
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2015, 12:42:41 pm »

Ah, you have 5DS / 5DS R Raw files you want to share?

Cheers,
Bart

I don't need to see RAW files to get an idea of what a camera is capable of, because I am not a measurebator.

Camera JPEGs have been typically very good for many years now and RAW files, while essential for almost everyone here aren't going to add 200 tonnes of awesome automatically, at least not without extensive post processing. Let's not forget that Flickr uploads also get automatically sharpened and you can't turn this off.

Despite all this, I still see hazy output, that boring, "uniform color" look, harsh highlights and none of the bite of an MF file. It's a bigger D800 file with 60% of the DR. If that floats your boat, go for it. But to think that this is an "MF killer" would get a chuckle and a "Sure it is" toast from me.

torger

« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2015, 12:43:29 pm »

I doubt it as he shoots mostly hand-held...if he was in need for a high resolution camera he would have gone medium format a long time ago...

I guess you've heard about higher ISOs than 50? ;). That combined with Canon's excellent image stabilization available in many lenses will make hand-held shots quite feasible I think. And although his reputation is about hand-held documentary style architecture photography, if you look at his site you find many which are shot from a tripod too, obvious from the blurry people in motion.

If you can keep the flexibility and gain image quality, why not? I think the reason a photographer with his shooting style doesn't use medium format is not because high resolution is completely meaningless, but because shooting flexibility and handling is more important to make the shots. Now with the Credo 50 with the excellent CMOS sensor I think there's a possibility to get him and others with similar shooting styles interested in MFD, but it was not before that. Good ISO performance is a must.

torger

« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2015, 01:06:02 pm »

Camera JPEGs have been typically very good for many years now and RAW files, while essential for almost everyone here aren't going to add 200 tonnes of awesome automatically, at least not without extensive post processing. Let's not forget that Flickr uploads also get automatically sharpened and you can't turn this off.

MFD underexposes quite much to gain highlight detail, while Canon do not. Their in-camera jpeg also have very simplistic highlight rendering (clip to white when the first channel hits color space max). You will get considerably better highlights with a competent raw workflow, I know I have used a Canon quite much.

I also know that my Hassy H4D-50 underexposes badly, it can show clip warnings two stops from clipping in some circumstances. Learning how the in-camera images relates to the real raw data is quite important to maximize the camera's potential in a context where dynamic range is important, such as landscape photography.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 01:31:43 pm by torger »

synn

• My fine art portfolio
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2015, 03:35:08 pm »

The point I am making is not whether or not the files from that camera could be improved upon, if the RAWs were given. I am fully aware that this is so.

What I am saying is that just because a pig is receptive of lipstick doesn't mean that on application, it turns into Jennifer Lopez. I have seen enough pigs and Ms. Lopez to reach this reasonable conclusion.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up