Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What happened to "Digital ROC"?  (Read 10915 times)

Dave Gurtcheff

What happened to "Digital ROC"?
« on: February 11, 2015, 04:53:39 pm »

I used to use Digital ROC to restore old faded photographs. It worked really well. My first purchase was from a company called "Applied Science Fiction". This was sold to Kodak. Then they stopped supporting it. When I scan old prints, slides or color negatives I now use Vuescan which has similar "filters" built in. This is also excellent. Today I used my cell phone to make a "grab shot" photograph of  an old 16"x20" framed "C" print I printed  in my home darkroom, since I do not know where the old negative is. It had been in hanging in my work shop in partial sun light and is badly faded. Now I need the old Digital ROC. Is there a comparable product? Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance
Dave in NJ

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Re: What happened to "Digital ROC"?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2015, 04:57:52 pm »

The "Auto CC" button in SilverFast often does this sort of restoration very nicely in a click. But the "secret sauce" if you prefer a more hand-on approach is finding and establishing the Black Point. Once you have that, then tweak contrast, saturation and perhaps colour balance a bit, and more often than not you're good to go.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

sniper

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2015, 04:57:00 am »

There were 3 if I remember rightly, digital roc, digital show and another (I can't remember) I still have the plug-ins somewhere, but I've no idea if they'll work with modern photoshop.

TonyW

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2015, 09:23:52 am »

AFAIK support for this product is fairly limited (if any!)and I believe last version for Windows was XP and plugin CS3 last edition.  I suspect that you will need to run the 32 bit version of Photoshop for these filters to work

There is a website that offers these Kodak products and I assume that they have obtained licence rights to sell but I would check carefully before committing.  Is this the original company that Kodak acquired and has it now got the rights to distribute?
http://www.asf.com

Frankly I suspect that you would be able to do what the filter does relatively easily in PS but would involve more than just a one step/click solution
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 09:25:30 am by TonyW »

Dave Gurtcheff

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2015, 11:07:03 am »

Thanks all. I had the latest version of ROC, but as I "progressed" through various flavors of Windows, Kodak did not offer upgrades that would run. I tried using PS levels, saturation and color balance. It helped, but not as good as ROC did. Thanks again.
Dave

TonyW

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2015, 11:15:35 am »

Hi Dave

FWIW Digital ROC version 2.0.0 will work in the 32 Bit version of PS CS6 under Windows 7.

Have you looked at boosting colour in Lab mode for faded restoration work?

Dave Gurtcheff

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2015, 01:41:05 pm »

Thanks Tony. I had a down load version of ROC. I believe I may have kept a record of the down load serial number/Registration, etc "someplace". Finding it is another story!
At 78, the brain, and my files are "cluttered".
Best regards
Dave

sburre

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2019, 11:53:54 am »

Actually, you can still run it....I've got Windows 10...loaded the 32-bit version of CC Photoshop 2017, did 'install' of Digital ROC, then manually moved the components of the Kodak subfolder into the Photoshop plug-ins directory and it works! (but I have very few truly faded slides - Ektachromes - where it is useful, and much prefer color correction in Silverfast for example for slides in good shape). But I like using Vuescan (9.2.24) on my set of Kodachromes since the infrared dust/defect removal ('light' setting) with my Nikon LS-5000 scanner works perfectly with no/few artifacts (plus batch feed capability), while Silverfast 8.x is not nearly as good in pristine cleaning for what I have. And calibrating a scanner with an IT8 target makes a huge difference (most of my slides from my dad are 50-60 year old Kodachromes and I have a Kodachrome IT8 target).
« Last Edit: January 06, 2019, 12:19:04 pm by sburre »

stormyboy

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2019, 02:23:04 pm »

There is also a plugin offered by MediaChance that allows many old x32 plugins to run in Photoshop x64 versions.  I have used Digital ROC successfully with Photoshop 2019.

https://www.mediachance.com/pluginbridge/

Tom

Doug Fisher

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2019, 10:11:58 am »

You might want to investigate the ColorPerfect plug-in.

Doug

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2019, 10:25:34 am »

You might want to investigate the ColorPerfect plug-in.

Doug

Doug, does ColorPerfect have a bespoke algorithm for restoring old faded photographs?
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Garnick

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2019, 12:24:19 pm »

I recall using Digital ROC back in the PowerMac G5 days but now I cannot find it at all, so I assume I must have trashed it long ago.  However, I agree totally with Marks comment about establishing a good black point and working from there with the other obvious adjustments as necessary.  Recovering colour in a faded print is not very difficult at all without employing a plugin etc.  Occasionally I will even use Auto Color on a separate layer in PS, which often provides a good starting point.  From there it's a piece of cake, and I do love cake.  When I'm presented with a restoration job usually the colour revival is the least of my concern.  Somewhat off topic, but early last year I took on a job for the Rotary International Convention in Toronto.  It amounted to 40 + images to restore and ready for printing.  The most time consuming was a panoramic shot of the folks at the 1924 International convention, also in Toronto.  The file I received was from a scan or scans of the original print which was not in good shape by any standards.  I quickly discovered that when the scans were merged the operator was not aware of the intersection areas that needed to be fixed as well.  However, after many days of working on the pano it was finally finished and all the files were sent along to the company that would be handling the printing and the final display.  As I recall, the pano was printed 12' in length.  All in all the restorations totaled almost three weeks of constant work, but apparently it was very well received by the Club and other viewers.  Probably 8-10% of the prints were colour, and they were much easier to work with than most of the B&W prints. 

Gary
Gary N.
"My memory isn't what it used to be. As a matter of fact it never was." (gan)
Pages: [1]   Go Up