Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: epson 3880 paper size question  (Read 2257 times)

gchappel

epson 3880 paper size question
« on: February 08, 2015, 07:06:01 pm »

I presently print with the 3880 using 17x23 cut paper, primarily printing 16x20".
If I want to stay with my native 4x6 sensor ratio, I would like to print with 17x26" paper, allowing a 16x24" print.
Can I print longer using the epson driver- or do I need to move to Qimage or something similar??
I was thinking of buying a roll of 17" paper, and manually cutting it to 26".
Am I missing something here- which is certainly possible.  And again, can I print to a 26" length with the regular driver or do I need to move to something else.
This is a great board- long time lurker
Thanks in advance for any help.
Gary

Some Guy

Re: epson 3880 paper size question
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2015, 07:21:03 pm »

I print all the time to a 17 x 25.5 inch size cut off a 17" roll.

Aside, I found if I cut the paper to about 28" it won't curl up like it would if it was 26" and rub on the print head and blacken near the end and sometimes in the image itself.  The extra two inches (28") keeps it under the rear internal feed rollers so print smears are kept off the mage itself and maybe in the last inch or two of margin at most.

I do use Qimage though, but it calls up the Epson driver and you can set it in there.  I don't do the matte or canvas there as it does some margin thing as does the narrower front tray feed too.  I just leave it on PK ink and do my own profiles with that setting.  Sometimes the Epson driver is finicky in the setting though and might drop it out if settings are wrong so I always leave the Preview checked to make sure it isn't doing something odd.

I did flatten a small brass tube that slips onto the flip-down tab on the rightmost pull-up feed drawer for the center top paper feed.  Mine skews the border on a longer print and it helps to move the paper about 1/8" to the left looking at the machine where that tab is.  I put a clothespin on the left slide-up tray a as a guide as there isn't one over there as on the right side.  I have two 3880's and seems to be common skew issue with both of them on long papers where a side white border gets narrow at the end (Image leans a bit.).

SG

hugowolf

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2015, 07:28:57 pm »

Yes, the driver will print to 37.4" no problem. As 'Some Guy' says, cut it a little longer than you want and trim afterwards.

One of the best deals, until the recent prices rises from Canson, was 24" x 36" sheets, which cut down to two 17" x 24" sheets with only a two inch waste strip. No curl from sheets make it easier to deal with. It doesn't give you a full 3:2 ratio, but the cropping is minimal.

[Edit: changed typo 3:3 to 3:2]

Brian A
« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 08:42:29 pm by hugowolf »

gchappel

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2015, 08:17:31 pm »

Thanks so much, I thought it would work but wanted to double check.
Some guy, do you happen to have a pic or drawing of the brass tubing location as well as the clothespin location- I can not quite follow where they go- sounds like you have it worked out.
The 24x36 inch sheet idea sounds interesting- will also look into it..
Thanks again, paper ordered.
Gary

Pic One

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2015, 07:06:34 am »

You do know though, that some brands sell 17x25 paper, on which you can print 16x24 (albeit with not the greatest of margins all-round)?  Eg. RedRiver, Harman, Inkpress and Moab offer some limited selections in this size.

gchappel

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2015, 07:40:03 am »

I have never "strayed" from epson paper- I will have to look at 17x25 sheets. 
Would be easier, and no curl problems.
Lots to learn
Thanks again
Gary

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2015, 07:46:18 am »

Just to confirm the previous comments, I too cut 17x25 from Museo Silver Rag rolls for printing.  The only thing to be concerned with is the cut; you need to make sure it is square so you don't get an inaccurate paper feed.  I've got a Rotatrim and have not had any issues.  I always check paper curl and find that if I use a 4 inch mailing tube, that I can carefully reverse roll the paper onto the tube and let it sit a while to relax the curl.  It save cutting the paper to a longer length (though that is also a perfectly good solution but you probably lose a whole sheet of paper this way).

Some Guy

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2015, 10:17:39 am »

Some guy, do you happen to have a pic or drawing of the brass tubing location as well as the clothespin location- I can not quite follow where they go- sounds like you have it worked out.
Here is what I made to address the skewing issue on long papers.

It's just a piece of brass tubing from hobby shop flatten in a vise a bit so it slips over the guide on the right pull-up paper guide trays.  The clothespin shown above it goes on the opposite side to keep the paper between my white guide and the clothespin.

The brass tube I cut off a bit of the back so I could bend a tab outwards to keep the paper from slipping under it and hitting the black tab on the tray defeating its purpose.  The whole thing is painted white so I can find it should it fall.

It is also wrapped with a few turns to about 1/16" thick with some white vinyl tape since it didn't push the paper far enough to the left so the border was slanted.  Now it is straight even on a 36 inch panorama length which is about all the driver will handle for length.  I've seen elaborate trays made for adjusting skew feed issues, but this works for me and doesn't take up a lot of space.

The stuff for the background is actually a handmade "Yukatan Inkjet Paper" from Hiromi in Santa Monica (13"x19" about $5/sheet).  Haven't figured out how to profile it yet due to the multi-tones of the wood.  Guess I have to punt with it.  They sell a white version which might be better for profiling - maybe.  I have both a ColorMunki Photo and an i1 PhotoPro 2 unit and the ColorMunki is very temperamental with multi-colored papers or ones with fibers and may not read them (Just a red box).  The i1 does seem to read them so far.

SG

gchappel

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2015, 06:10:24 pm »

Some guy
Thanks, that now makes sense.  Paper ordered so will get to play soon
Thanks again for your help
Gary
Pages: [1]   Go Up