Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Welcome  (Read 11442 times)

michael

Welcome
« on: January 09, 2006, 12:34:27 am »

Once you've downloaded your copy of Lightroom, let me know if I can answer any questions.

The Adobe Labs site is the primary venue for discussion of matters Lightroomish, but I welcome any and all such discussions here as well.

Michael

andersonl

• http://www.lcanderson.com
Welcome
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2006, 08:11:35 am »

Thanks Michael.  Now, if only Phase One would open up IIQ for third party converters  

michael

Welcome
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2006, 08:51:35 am »

Camera Raw and Lightroom are able to read P25 files. Not a big trick.

Phase One has said that they are going to incorporate DNG. Just a matter of time, I expect.

Michael

David Mantripp

• :: snowhenge dot net ::
Welcome
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2006, 04:31:52 pm »

Michael,

Could we have a Aperture forum as well ?  A discussion of Aperture primarily by photographers rather than Apple cultists / apologists  might be interesting...

David
--
David Mantripp

michael

Welcome
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2006, 05:41:26 pm »

I welcome Aperture discussion here.

The reason that I have created a Lightroom specific forum though is because I believe that due to its cross-platform availability, and beta status for most of this year, it will engender a great deal of interest.

Michael

Peter McLennan

Welcome
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2006, 06:16:08 pm »

Heck of a job, Michael.  Looking forward to a Windows version.

Peter

FredT

Welcome
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2006, 09:09:16 pm »

Once you've downloaded your copy of Lightroom, let me know if I can answer any questions.

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=55524\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thanks for another nice review.  You cautioned about giving thought to where the library goes.  Having started to use the program prior to reading your review, I looked to see where it went.  I found this:

/Users/<user>/Pictures/Lightroom/Lightroom Library.aglib

I assume that this is the library.  What I haven't found is where one would specifiy this location.  Can you tell me where this is done?

Thanks.

andersonl

Welcome
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2006, 08:19:53 am »

Thanks for another nice review.  You cautioned about giving thought to where the library goes.  Having started to use the program prior to reading your review, I looked to see where it went.  I found this:

/Users/<user>/Pictures/Lightroom/Lightroom Library.aglib

I assume that this is the library.  What I haven't found is where one would specifiy this location.  Can you tell me where this is done?

Thanks.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=55581\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Fred, open the Preferences menu and then click on File Management.  You can change the location of your library there.

FredT

Welcome
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2006, 11:00:50 am »

Fred, open the Preferences menu and then click on File Management.  You can change the location of your library there.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=55602\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
That seems to be only for the location of files actually imported into Lightroom.  There doesn't seem to be a way of specifying where the database and thumbnails go.  I tried specifying a different location in preferences then quit, deleted the previous imports, and restarted.  I ended up with the thumbnails in /Users/<user>/Pictures/Lightroom as before with photos moved to the location I had specified.  It is interesting that the photos library can be moved anywhere and Lightroom still finds it, even though the preference location is different.  I don't know if this is all intended behavior, but I hope that they will make it possible to specify the database location.

FredT

Welcome
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2006, 11:10:27 am »

Michael,

I have found that when importing a folder of raw+jpegs, only the raws are imported.  Do you know if this is a "feature" or a bug?

Fred

michael

Welcome
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2006, 11:33:41 am »

It's a bug. Expect it to be fixed in the next release, likely in a month or so.

Michael

andersonl

Welcome
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2006, 04:21:44 pm »

That seems to be only for the location of files actually imported into Lightroom.  There doesn't seem to be a way of specifying where the database and thumbnails go.  I tried specifying a different location in preferences then quit, deleted the previous imports, and restarted.  I ended up with the thumbnails in /Users/<user>/Pictures/Lightroom as before with photos moved to the location I had specified.  It is interesting that the photos library can be moved anywhere and Lightroom still finds it, even though the preference location is different.  I don't know if this is all intended behavior, but I hope that they will make it possible to specify the database location.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=55617\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
You're right.  I tried moving the Lightroom folder that is in my Pictures Folder to another drive, then made a shortcut called "Lightroom" in the Pictures folder that points to the Lightroom folder that has all the data.  That seems to work.  It fools Lightroom into thinking that the folder is there, even though it is only a shortcut.  No guarantees though, it could blow up at any time!  

I have about 5,000 photos in it right now.  Performance seems pretty good so far (at least better than Aperture).

michael

Welcome
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2006, 04:59:14 pm »

Interesting solution, which I've now started using myself.

I've asked the Lightroom developers if there's any reason not to do this.

Michael

seanmcfoto

Welcome
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2006, 01:11:43 am »

Interesting solution, which I've now started using myself.

I've asked the Lightroom developers if there's any reason not to do this.

Michael
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=55651\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
And?

On the forums someones mentions another Library trick:
Option click the icon to open Lightroom and it asks for the library location so you CAN use more than one Library. I've tried it and it works.
Sean McCormack
[url=http://lightroom.sea

sherry roberts

Welcome
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2006, 12:57:41 am »

The Adobe Labs site is the primary venue for discussion of matters Lightroomish, but I welcome any and all such discussions here as well.

Michael
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=55524\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi Michael. I've just started with LR and it's taken me all afternoon to find this forum so you have a real beginner here. Tell me this:
Once I have developed an image where do I access the new image from. Each time I have tried I get the pre changes image. For instance I have tried to drag the altered image to desk top in order to email it and all I get is the old image.
That will be a nice easy one for you.
Sherry

michael

Welcome
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2006, 08:39:43 am »

The raw raw file is unchanged, All you've done is create a list of "meta" instructions for processing the file. Now you need to process it.

You can process and get the file out of Lightroom a couple of ways. One is to select Process in Photoshop CS2 (CMD-L). This will send the file to Photoshop for further editing.

The other is to select File / Export. You can now export the file or files selected to either JPG., TIF or DNG formats.

Michael
Pages: [1]   Go Up