Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Images look different inside of capture one?  (Read 13351 times)

mikomartin

Images look different inside of capture one?
« on: January 27, 2015, 10:26:12 am »

Has anyone noticed that their photos look different (better) inside of Capture One?

After export, my photos look flatter and more held back then they do while I'm editing them.

Example screenshot of photo in Capture One:

Example after export: https://www.flickr.com/photos/joelosch/16375887761/

Any help would be appreciated.

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
Re: Images look different inside of capture one?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2015, 12:41:17 pm »

Only thing I can thing of is C1 is not seeing your monitor profile.

I run the spectra vision software to generate a monitor profile and have checked in the past to make sure C1 is exporting correctly with side by side views.

Paul
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

alain

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2015, 04:02:54 pm »

Has anyone noticed that their photos look different (better) inside of Capture One?

After export, my photos look flatter and more held back then they do while I'm editing them.

Example screenshot of photo in Capture One:

Example after export: https://www.flickr.com/photos/joelosch/16375887761/

Any help would be appreciated.
Hi

It seems that I had the same problem with C1 7 at a certain period.  For me that changed back after I found there was something strange with the view> proof profile setting.  It's now fixed to my highest quality process recipe.
I now see sometimes a difference between the histogram and the levels, but the results are back ok. 

Alain

Lisa Schaaf

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2015, 02:17:35 pm »

I'm having the same issue, I was adding some mild split toning, and when I export, it has definitely more purple tones than the RAW image in C1 (jpeg on left, RAW on right, exported as full res sRGB jpg).  I looked at the proof file and selected sRGB as that is how I export all my images.  Anyone have any other suggestions!  Doesn't do much good if the output doesn't match my corrections!

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2015, 02:42:03 pm »

I would consider exporting to either the pro photo or Adobe 1998 rgb 16 bit colorspace and then check.  sRGB has s very limited color space is is only 8 bit.   You may be out of gamut with your colors for sRGB which is really only good for web use.

Paul
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

Lisa Schaaf

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2015, 03:15:08 pm »

I would consider exporting to either the pro photo or Adobe 1998 rgb 16 bit colorspace and then check.  sRGB has s very limited color space is is only 8 bit.   You may be out of gamut with your colors for sRGB which is really only good for web use.

Paul

Same result with exporting to ProPhoto.  I don't think it's out of gamut, I do this type of split toning all the time in LR and Photoshop and have no issues creating sRGB jpgs.  

makaphoto

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2015, 06:53:12 pm »

Hi Lisa
I guess I have the same problem that you are experiencing. The color differences are especially strong with high ISO files. I filed a support case with C1 and was told by them that the files have to be looked at in 100% view to show exact colors. Try it out. Here, the big change in color rendering takes place between 33% and 50% view. After I claimed that it makes not sense to must have a picture in 100% view to edit, I got the answer that this is the way C1 works and nothing could be done about it. I wonder.

Martin

Lisa Schaaf

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2015, 12:15:28 am »

That's so interesting.  These are high ISO files, as I was trying to keep the lights on the chandelier from getting too blown out...so I just used modeling lights...And when I zoom in, they do look similar!  Very strange!  Unfortunately, it makes C1 useless for this type of toning, since I can't tell what the final output will look like, I guess LR does have it's advantages!  I was hoping to wean myself from LR, but I guess I'll keep it!

makaphoto

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2015, 06:18:28 am »

Hi Lisa,  in my opinion C1 is the best Raw Converter around regarding image quality. But with you being new to C1 you may have to get used to some flaws and C1's indifference to criticism. After I confronted them with the fact, that I never experience these color shifts in ACR at  different viewing sizes I was told that ACR would show color shifts too. This may be true in a technical sense but for photographers it is important to to be able to work creatively. This is the case in ACR (or Lightroom), but it is not in C1. You will find other threads here on the LL C1 forum where posters are made feeling "like something the cat drug in" (to quote Kurt Vonnegut) in the answers from C1 to their questions and demands.
Remember though that low ISO files will be fine in C1. The problem, in my case, starts to be apparent at around ISO 6000 .
Martin
Pages: [1]   Go Up