Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Melt.  (Read 1393 times)

Lonnie Utah

The Melt.
« on: January 20, 2015, 03:50:10 pm »

This was a new spot for me (NW corner of Utah Lake, Utah looking SE). While most everyone was out watching football on Sunday, I saw the clouds setting up and decided to go play with my camera. The warm weather here recently has some of the ice on the lakes thinning with patches of open water. Bad for the winter sports I like to play, but makes for interesting pictures...

Camera Sony A900
Focal Length 20mm
Shutter Speed 1/6 s
Aperture f/14
ISO/Film 100
Filter -2 stop reverse ND grad.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 03:53:47 pm by Lonnie Utah »

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
Re: The Melt.
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2015, 05:18:59 am »

Good image, with all elements nicely composed. Is it the perspective, or the "horizon" (water line) is tilted to the right?

Lonnie Utah

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2015, 09:01:09 am »

Good image, with all elements nicely composed. Is it the perspective, or the "horizon" (water line) is tilted to the right?

Hi there and thanks for the comment. I'm always paranoid about a level horizon on shots that are taken near water. So with your comment in mind, I checked, and double checked the horizon line in PS. It's about as straight as I can get it with the tools at my disposal. Just for giggles and grins I superimposed a straight line across a 100% crop (just to be sure).

Just guessing on what you might be seeing (just spitballin' here),

1) Barrel distortion from the 20mm FL?
2) There's a hill that comes in on a peninsula from the right side of the frame.
3) Irregularities in the lake shore. I was a fair distance from the mountains on the far side of the lake (8-10 miles?) The lake also moves away from the viewer in the frame (the lake on the left side of the frame is closer than the lake shore on the right side of the frame).

Anyway, thanks for looking at taking the time to comment. :)
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 09:10:25 am by Lonnie Utah »

Ian stuart Forsyth

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2015, 11:56:08 pm »

Oh I like this one

AreBee

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2015, 07:12:53 am »

Lonnie,

A line used to map the horizon is horizontal only if the shore at the start and end points of the line is equidistant from the camera.

Given that "the lake on the left side of the frame is closer than the lake shore on the right side of the frame", the former should be lower in the frame than the latter.
Pages: [1]   Go Up