Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Metabones IV Adapter - flocking patterns for use with A7R + TS-Es  (Read 11339 times)

marc aurel

A while ago Metabones announced a revised edition of it's adapter for Canon EF lenses on E-Mount cameras, the Metabones IV. The older version III had problems with internal reflections when used with shift lenses (see my posting on this topic here: http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=85249.0).

Metabones promises the following enhancements:
   •   The new design of inner housing in Mark IV has a bigger inner hole. Improving the Tilt shift lens performance.
   •   The inner hole is painted with matt coating. This can further reduce the internal reflection.

Others have reported, that the problem with internal reflections is less than with the Metabones III, but not yet completely solved (look here: http://www.nickfrank.de/blog/2014/12/12/metabones-sony-nex-smart-adapter-mark-iv-vs-mark-iii-coated-comparsionreview). On the comparative photograph below you can see that the new coating is indeed less reflective. But after I flocked it inside, reflections are further reduced.
The inner hole of the Metabones IV has a slightly different form and is 2 or 3mm wider on the lens side of the adapter. But on the camera side of the adapter the hole is only 24x36mm wide - like the Mark III - and this is not a mm more than the necessary minimum. Disappointing in my opinion. They could have tried harder to solve that problem - considering the high price and the fact that the only changes they made were for reducing reflections.

So is the adapter worth the upgrade? If you have already flocked your Metabones III - not really. But if you buy new I think the IV is the better choice.

Like for the older version I now made a flocking pattern that you can download and use if you want to flock your adapter too. It is bit fiddly to do (more than it was with the III), but not too much. You can use self adhesive velours for most parts. The only part where it is better to use an ultra-thin flocking paper (like the one from edmundoptics.com) is for the parts that I marked in orange. Because the opening of the inner whole is only 24x36mm the velours is too thick and causes vignetting when the lens is fully shifted. It does this too with the edmund paper - but not that much. To prevent the remaining vignetting I had to make a compromise: I cut one of the orange marked parts to a t-shaped form. The vignetting is gone, more than 90% of surfaces inside are flocked. I used this solution only for the side that causes vignetting when the lens is shifted up - I never shift down that much. The other orange part covers the whole surface on its side. This is the closest I could get to a perfect result. If you have propositions for improvements - please let me know.

Marc
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 02:03:47 pm by marc aurel »

wallpaperviking

Re: Metabones IV Adapter - flocking patterns for use with A7R + TS-Es
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2015, 09:16:12 pm »

Hi Marc,
             Thanks again for taking the time to do this for everyone, much appreciated! 

I have the Metabones V3 that I have flocked with the Edmund Optics paper and it seems to do the job.. I do run into vignetting though when at full shift..

Essentially, you are saying that this is still the case with the V4?  They made one side larger but not the other?  If that is the case then I agree, quite disappointing :(

The vignetting at full shift is not the end of the world I guess..  Are there any other brands of electronic adapters that address this issue? 

Or is the Metabones V4 the one with the biggest opening?

Thanks again :)

marc aurel

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2015, 05:34:59 pm »

Hi Marc,
             Thanks again for taking the time to do this for everyone, much appreciated! 

I have the Metabones V3 that I have flocked with the Edmund Optics paper and it seems to do the job.. I do run into vignetting though when at full shift..

Essentially, you are saying that this is still the case with the V4?  They made one side larger but not the other?  If that is the case then I agree, quite disappointing :(

The vignetting at full shift is not the end of the world I guess..  Are there any other brands of electronic adapters that address this issue? 

Or is the Metabones V4 the one with the biggest opening?

Thanks again :)

Yes, they only made one side larger. Sad.
For me vignetting was a problem because I often use full shift for architecture. So I came up with the idea not to flock that small part of the interior that causes the vignetting. And now I have some night shots with flare - very very rare - but I suspect that there are still reflections under some conditions.

Sadly I don't know another adapter with a bigger opening. Does anybody else know one?

Best regards - Marc

spag

• Portfolio
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2015, 06:15:20 am »

Thanks for the patterns! May I ask you where did you buy your flocking paper? The one from Edmundoptics looks nice, but they ask 22€ for shipping within Germany... which is more than the price of the paper itself.  :-\

Any other recommendation?

marc aurel

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2015, 06:57:08 am »

Thanks for the patterns! May I ask you where did you buy your flocking paper? The one from Edmundoptics looks nice, but they ask 22€ for shipping within Germany... which is more than the price of the paper itself.  :-\

Any other recommendation?

Someone from the forum was so nice to send me the rest of what he had ordered. That was great to see that things like that happen in this forum. So maybe if others in Germany need the paper too they can send you a PM and you share the costs?
Marc

spag

• Portfolio
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2015, 05:17:18 pm »

Finally I decided to buy some flocking paper. But I am having trouble printing your patterns at the right size... Looks like the image printed at 100% is too big. Is there any DPI I need to set? Any idea?

Thank you! :D
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 02:57:44 am by spag »

marc aurel

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2015, 03:19:45 am »

Dimensions of the file are 210x210mm with 300dpi. If you download it, open it in Photoshop (or another application like Preview in osx), print them at 100% - it should be fine. I noted the dimensions of some parts in the file, so you can check if your print size is correct.

Regards - Marc

spag

• Portfolio
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2015, 10:46:32 am »

Thanks, resizing to 210x210 with 300dpi worked! :D
Pages: [1]   Go Up