Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Roland SJ-745EX  (Read 1083 times)

aaronchan

Roland SJ-745EX
« on: January 15, 2015, 04:26:46 am »

Dear all,

Recently someone is offering a Roland SF-745EX with very good price.
According to the original specification, it can only handle 0.1mm thickness media.
But I know Jon Cone has modified the same type of Roland to handle triple ply thickness handmade Japanese paper.

I know this is a very old printer but with Ergosoft RIP, I can convert it from a Dual 6 Color Printer into a 12 Color printer with peizo printhead.

Still thinking should I buy it from him or not.
Any advise?

Aaron

deanwork

Re: Roland SJ-745EX
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2015, 09:52:25 am »

Yea Jon was using these models for the Ashes and Snow exhibitions and he was running some super super thick kozo prints that were giant and so thick that you could lean the prints against the wall and they would stand flat. He mixed his own custom ink formulations with it too.

He did have some system for modifying the thickness of media that could be fed into it.

A group of us had a week of printing together in Vermont a few years ago and he was working with that printer and I was very impressed with the quality of resolution on even uncoated media. He had a set up where he fed the prints into the Roland off of a table where the media was laying flat and going straight into the machine, almost like a flatbed printer and the sheets could be as long as you wanted. At unidirectional it's quite slow but it's worth the wait.

john
Pages: [1]   Go Up