Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 2nd Beach  (Read 7936 times)

bns

• Boudewijn Swanenburg Photography
2nd Beach
« on: January 09, 2015, 03:55:15 am »

I strongly believe that a photographer should process the image taken to his own liking. In this case however I can’t understand what is to be liked about the harsh rock colors in an otherwise serene scene.

cheers,
Boudewijn Swanenburg
« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 04:03:47 am by bns »

brianrybolt

Re: 2nd Beach
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2015, 06:14:53 am »

Kevin,

I feel you have gone over the top in Raberizing this image.  At least on screen it looses it's natural beauty and moves into Disneyland interpretation of sea/landscape.
Most of your images I respond to positively but this one is OTT.

Brian

JohnBrew

• http://www.johnbrewton.zenfolio.com
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2015, 01:50:48 pm »

Whether the HDR look was intended or not, it seems the PP got out of control.

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2015, 04:02:07 pm »

Ok, I expected a few comments like these.  This is a tough location to shoot.  The image I posted was derived from the image below.  It was the result of a talk I gave showing how you can save images that might get thrown away.  I have seen a lot of images of this location and they are all done a bunch of different ways.  There are photographers out there that do this kind of imagery as their style.  I like to play outside of the box as many of you know.  So, I took this image to the limits or or less ;-:. It's good to stretch the envelope sometimes.  Funny thing is I have had two request for prints of this image today.  Some people like it. 

I started out with one exposure that was OK as a histogram.  Made color and a few minor adjustments in Capture One and processed it out as a 2 under and 2 over plus normal form the one image.  Then it was taken into Photomatix (you know the drill) and I adjusted some more from a preset I had in the software from a previous time.  It's a good example if nothing else of what a file has, especially Phase One file in dynamic range and how it can be recovered from a one image shot.

It was fun exercise. 

Kevin
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2015, 04:22:22 pm »

Ok, I expected a few comments like these.
Trolling with images :-(

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2015, 04:55:54 pm »

Thanks for posting it, Kevin. It's amazing how much detail you were able to extract from the original image. I find it much more interesting than thousands of pictures with blurred water or bland monochromatic conversions from that spot. Definitely, an inspirational and very bold interpretation of the scene.

Congratulations to your sales! I'm sure you will be printing more copies of this rendition.

lelouarn

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2015, 02:03:18 am »

It's funny, but when I saw this image, I thought:
- Kevin's picture for sure (before even looking at the author). I think it's good to have a style that is easy to recognize.
- I thought it was a more subtle Raberization than usual.

I like it ! I would probably darken the shadows a wee bit to reduce the HDR look, and that's just my opinion. But I like the subject, composition, and color.

stamper

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2015, 03:47:52 am »

I strongly believe that a photographer should process the image taken to his own liking. In this case however I can’t understand what is to be liked about the harsh rock colors in an otherwise serene scene.

cheers,
Boudewijn Swanenburg

Maybe it is your appreciation of images that is lacking rather than Kevin's rendering of the image? The whole tone of this thread is a little alarming imo. Everybody is entitled to an opinion but also entitled to to state it in a way that doesn't look like a personal attack. Kevin has been subjected to a few comments recently that is bordering on the personal .Does anyone want him to stop posting his images or does he have to seek prior approval from the members as to how he processes his images before posting? :(

Jonathan Cross

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2015, 05:51:02 am »

Couldn't agree more with Stamper's comments.  Stick with it, Kevin, giving us something to think about.  I really like to see different ways of presenting images.  My reaction is personal to me and it all helps to refine and develop how I photograph.

Jonathan

Jonathan in UK

Dave Millier

• Whispering Cat Photography
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2015, 07:28:28 am »

No artist you should do things to try and please an audience, be true to yourself and do what you think is right at the time.  If someone else likes it, that's great, if not, it's everyone else's loss.

Having said that, to my eye this is a rather unpleasant HDR effect type image and I simply don't like that look. But as I said that is my loss.  I actually rather like the unprocessed out of camera image - but I like simple graphic images and silhouettes do that beautifully.  There's plenty of room for interpretation. You could do 5 different versions and please a wider audience but I say stick with your vision and stuff anyone's opinion!

cheers,
Boudewijn Swanenburg
My website and photo galleries: http://w

Dohmnuill

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2015, 06:08:14 pm »

It's remarkable how the brain responds to an anachronism and then goes searching for an explanation; are the rocks radioactive (Photomatix238), are there spotlights on the beach, was the sunset stitched in.. A pity, since the scene deserves better.

Colorado David

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2015, 06:23:51 pm »

*Sarcasm Alert* Terrible.  Simply terrible.  And furthermore, focus stacking and fill flash should never be allowed since they alter reality.  Reflectors should be out too for that matter.  Perspective control lenses should probably be outlawed too since they artificially alter the depth of field. ;D

Byron Will

• Fine Art Landscape and Nature Photography by Byron John Will
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2015, 07:44:01 pm »

I think it is rather amazing what wonders can be drawn from the shadows of our digital files these days. But then, sometimes, like this last day of 2014, Cygnus and the summer Milky Way were over this fine sea stack on their retreat, Orion was in the SE rising about the ridge, and the moon was acting as one big reflector, so to speak.

BTW, around these parts, it's Second Beach. The point just beyond this last stack to the north is, in Quileute, Quateata.
Pages: [1]   Go Up