Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Fast Raw Viewer  (Read 152061 times)

RobSaecker

• robsaecker.com
Fast Raw Viewer
« on: December 31, 2014, 02:28:46 pm »

Mildly surprised to see no previous mention of it here. http://www.fastrawviewer.com/, does pretty much what it’s name implies, i.e. renders your RAW images for evaluation. It’s essentially instantaneous on my computer (quad core Mac Mini). 30 day free trial available, and $5 off the regular price until the end of the year. Today, that is. :)

Disclaimer: no connection, other than I tried it and thought it was worth paying for a license.
Rob
photo blog - http://robsaecker.com

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
Re: Fast Raw Viewer
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2014, 06:00:47 pm »

The web site says the special price is good until the end of January, 2015.
I just downloaded a trial version.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Paul Gessler

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2014, 06:09:10 pm »

I downloaded a trial as well. Haven't fully exercised it yet, but what I've seen/tested so far looks great.

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2014, 07:35:54 pm »

I will check it out. I do hope it supports:

IIQ images
Star rating that LR and Winodws OS seam to be sharing
Batch Metadata edits would also be nice.
Customizable GUI so we can color regognize what app we are in. All photo apps look so similar and I'd like to instantly know what app is on top when swapping around.

I'm tired of ACDSEE 8 alsways having hangups and hicupsand the only solution they have is to upgrade it. I used to really like it. Over time it gets white screen and freezes.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 07:38:23 pm by Phil Indeblanc »
If you buy a camera, you're a photographer...

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2014, 08:06:47 pm »

How do I browse? Are there no file names or thumbs to search?

On the bright side, it does say it supports Phase files, It does have a background tone control(wish it were color options).
Not sure about the rest yet.

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2014, 08:26:31 pm »

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2014, 09:55:27 pm »

I like it. The only thing is we have no reference point to confirm when rating without seeing the images at least in a browser, or Filmstrip. I rather have a browser.
They can pull from OS, or make unavailable thumbs. I wish it had a compare to do 1:1 vs composition (2 indy frames, like Compare in LR).

Iliah

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2015, 01:47:58 pm »

Thank you for your interest, Phil, and happy new year.
Filmstrip will be added relatively soon. 2-up, however, will take some time to implement.

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2015, 04:32:50 pm »

I would love to delve further into FRV if it had what I mention....

I know its tough, I have used many browsers. Everyone has something they are used to and have to have some feature.

I have liked ACDSEE for its capabilities and speed, but it is not so stable. You are forced to upgrade for stability rather then them patching things with OS updates. So I stopped using it for the most part. LR is too big of a snowball to be fast for viewing alone.
I have also used IDImager/Supreme, which is very nice too, but I don't use it as its as complex as LR, so I just stick with LR. I have used PhotoMechanic, which was missing something a few years back. Owner said they would add it when possible, but I guess it took too long as I don't use it.
I used PhaseOne Media, and the former Expressions Media. Before Phase too over it was actually pretty nice. Now is clunky and broken or simply ilogical layout ruined it. File format issues, etc.
At some point and time, I have tried these, (I found for the price and features ACDSee to be my choice, but it can't support MF digital back files like IIQ, so the stability and the format issue is are the biggest issues.)

FastStone (not for large amount of files), file formats issue
Breezebrowser, also stumbles with large volume, file formats issue.
iMatch
IrfanView
Pictus
Zoner
Extensis Portfolio
Bibble
ArdFry

....One key feature, I as well as many like having is the ability to see and size "filmstrip"/thumbs. (ACDsee does this well with very customizable interface.

This is vital particularly shooting the same subject in very small incremental changes, say a model that is in the pose but makes small adjustments within it. You need to see the group of images in the thumb size large enough to make a decision if #1 vs #4 is the preferred image.  So if I have !1 large, I need to see #s2-6 maybe in a large enough filmstrip size to make the comaparison. I can check sharpness individually, but not the overall completion of the shot(pose, eyes, smile, hand, angle, tilt, hair position, clothes, flash output consistency, background). Most of these variables can be confirmed with a good size thumbnail. Why dual/large screen is almost necessary.

Happy New Year!

Iliah

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2015, 05:06:22 pm »

FastRawViewer is designed to view raw files, meaning - the histogram is of raw, over- and underexposure warnings are from raw, focus peaking is also from raw. That is very different from viewers that rely on either embedded JPEGs or unknown and uncontrolled renditions.

One more thing is that FastRawViewer plays nicely with other viewers, generally assigning FRV to 'external editor' option of the other viewer - like with PhotoMechanic I use 'E' key to pass the file to FRV; having multiple instances of FRV switched off in Preferences. In that case FRV will reuse the window, no need to close it.

We are very open to suggestions and bug reports, and are willing to make our software useful.

alain

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2015, 07:24:34 pm »

FastRawViewer is designed to view raw files, meaning - the histogram is of raw, over- and underexposure warnings are from raw, focus peaking is also from raw. That is very different from viewers that rely on either embedded JPEGs or unknown and uncontrolled renditions.

One more thing is that FastRawViewer plays nicely with other viewers, generally assigning FRV to 'external editor' option of the other viewer - like with PhotoMechanic I use 'E' key to pass the file to FRV; having multiple instances of FRV switched off in Preferences. In that case FRV will reuse the window, no need to close it.

We are very open to suggestions and bug reports, and are willing to make our software useful.

Just tested it and I'm quite happy with my first test.

I do use Capture one for my RAW conversions and unfortunately there are quite some "adobe" settings default when starting.  Adding some capture one settings (and/or a short tutorial to get the best settings for capture one) would be nice ;-)
The default settings also add some files (xmp) inside the folder, which doesn't seem good for default settings.  (I would use it mainly for a first cull.)

When shooting indoors sport, I normally shoot -0.7 stop underexposed, to avoid problems with side lights.  Is there a possibility to "automagicaly" correct for the in camera exposure while culling?

A last one, I've read that FRV checks for broken RAW files.  A button to do this for the complete selected folder, would be very nice.   Maybe as a side effect for a "play" option, go through a folder at x images/sec (of course limited by the computer speed), for me that would make for a nice first view to asses the image quality of the complete shoot. 

Iliah

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2015, 07:45:01 pm »

Dear Alain,

In Preferences - Image Display, you can set ETTR-style automatic exposure correction, or you can set a fixed correction value. Additionally, on the same pane, you can uncheck 'Apply Adobe compatible hidden exposure correction'.

> The default settings also add some files (xmp) inside the folder, which doesn't seem good for default settings.
We would be much interested if you can elaborate on why those are not good as defaults.

> Adding some capture one settings...
Do you have any xmp files written by CaptureOne that you can send us to see what you mean? That would be most helpful.

« Last Edit: January 01, 2015, 08:17:47 pm by Iliah »

alain

« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2015, 08:22:12 pm »

Dear Alain,

In Preferences - Image Display, you can set ETTR-style automatic exposure correction, or you can set a fixed correction value. Additionally, on the same pane, you can uncheck 'Apply Adobe compatible hidden exposure correction'.

> The default settings also add some files (xmp) inside the folder, which doesn't seem good for default settings.
We would be much interested if you can elaborate on why those are not good as defaults.

> Adding some capture one settings...
Do you have any xmp files written by CaptureOne that you can send us to see what you mean?

Thanks for the fast response.

About default settings : I (and others I suspect) want to keep the images directories as clean as possible.  I follow the creation of xmp files is a user wants/needs it, but as default it was a -little- surprise.

About capture one : I'm rather talking about suggestions about contrast curves -and maybe other things-.  The way to get a display that's rather close to how capture one renders.

Iliah

« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2015, 09:14:43 pm »

Dear Alain,

You can switch off the xmp feature in Preferences - XMP: uncheck 'Use XMP for RAW files'.

CaptureOne: understood, thank you.

alain

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2015, 07:07:01 am »

Dear Alain,

You can switch off the xmp feature in Preferences - XMP: uncheck 'Use XMP for RAW files'.

I did found the switch, I was only writing about the default setting for it "out of the box".  I personnaly would have set the default to "unchecked".

BTW. I follow the post from  Phil Indeblanc, such a film strip would be nice.

Iliah

« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2015, 01:17:16 pm »

Dear Alain,

XMP:
> the default setting for it "out of the box".  I personnaly would have set the default to "unchecked".

In that case, ratings and labels  won't work, too. But users mostly demand XMP feature. What we can add is sort of a "pro" setup, to let the user chose the Preferences during the first start.

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2015, 06:12:55 pm »

You're right, I shouldn't mention those viewers, but ACDSee applies as a raw viewer, EXCEPT it doesn't do IIQ files like this does. It also crashes often until a year time they have no updates, just upgrades, so you simply rent for the year, OS update hamper the use, then a year later the new version is out. Now they have Ultimate8?!!

Anyway, back the this...

As long as I can make use of the upcoming Filmstrip to have large enough(scalable), or best dockable on a second screen, I think it would be a great viewer. Did really like the focus tool. Great for initial culling, particularly on a laptop, but really just a good fast viewer.

I do wish I could simply select the folder instead of a actual file among many. It IS simple enough, just comes off confusing as a first experience with that opening.

Iliah

« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2015, 08:20:29 pm »

Dear Phil,

> ACDSee applies as a raw viewer
Well, it may be me, but IMHO a raw viewer should display at least the raw histogram, and not to apply some unknown processing. Should be instant, too. If I would find something I can use I can't imagine myself going "me too" route and replicate an existing product ;)

> I do wish I could simply select the folder
If I understand correctly your request...
You can drag and drop a folder onto the FastRawViewer icon, or into FRV's window; you can also use 'Open Folder' from the main menu.

Paul Gessler

« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2015, 12:19:27 am »

You can drag and drop a folder onto the FastRawViewer icon, or into FRV's window; you can also use 'Open Folder' from the main menu.
+1, this is exactly what I've been doing in my brief testing so far.  :)

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2015, 05:45:04 am »

Well, it may be me, but IMHO a raw viewer should display at least the raw histogram, and not to apply some unknown processing. Should be instant, too. If I would find something I can use I can't imagine myself going "me too" route and replicate an existing product ;)

Is ACDSee getting the histogram from the enbedded thumb?. I would think not, but possible?
I see a histogram on the RAW file in Manage mode (it has 4 main views/modes: Manage, View, Develop, Edit). It has option of Lume, RGB, or Lume with RGB histogram

In Manage view it is actually kind of snappy once it launches.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up