Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ideal humidity for an Epson 4900?  (Read 8075 times)

Mike Guilbault

• Mike Guilbault Photography
Re: Ideal humidity for an Epson 4900?
« Reply #40 on: January 05, 2015, 10:58:20 pm »

Just to add my 2 cents... I was asking about humidifiers last year when I was experiencing bad clogs on my 4900.  I purchased this Sears/Kenmore unit and it's worked great.  I don't have a water source to continuously fill it, so I have to fill the tank every morning, and again when I leave at the end of the day (my studio is out of my home).  I'm in Central Ontario - north of Toronto and it gets very dry here in the winter... 25ish % a lot of the time.  I try to keep mine at least to the 40% mark but prefer it 45 to 50%. In that range I rarely have problems.

I just got back from not having the printers (I also have the 9900) or humidifier running for two weeks. Before I left, I put some AIS fluid in the docking station.  I still had a clog on the 4900 on almost all channels when I got back, but I got the humidity back up to 45%, did a head clean and print - and the print was fine. It's still showing a few misses in the test pattern, but it's working and now that I'm back and can keep the humidity at a reasonably consistent level, I should have few problems.
Mike Guilbault

audiodoc

« Reply #41 on: January 06, 2015, 02:16:28 pm »

I'm keeping my room close to 50% humidity.Temp at 70-73 degrees with 2 buckets of water close to printers in a computer nook-no windows.Also using Harvey Head Cleaner.I was gone for a few days and my 4900 and 9900 had a few clogs but nothing like before.Cleared up nicely.I do have more tendencies for the cyan and v magenta to clog on 4900 and 9900.My 7890 hasn't been a problem at all.(I know-too many printers ;D).Still learning.
I got an Epson 4800 back to life after cleaning wiper blade,flushing head station,and general maintenance.(paid $100 with close to full ink!) Sweet!

Mike   

disneytoy

« Reply #42 on: January 06, 2015, 02:34:45 pm »

Mike,

you  wrote " put some AIS fluid in the docking station.  "

I have a new 9890 delivering tomorrow. we have 19% humitity today. Will get a humidifier today. I checked out the AIS site, but they have a lot of products and kits.

Could you advise me what I should get to keep on hand? Not owning a large epson before, is is straight forward to access the docking station? Any tips.

I want to start off right.

Does keeping two buckets of water near the printer help?

How close do you keep the humidifier to the printer? I have a 20x20 foot room with high ceilings. I'm thinking a Wick/evaporation system right next to it?

Thank you!

audiodoc

« Reply #43 on: January 06, 2015, 03:11:30 pm »

Get the Harvey Head Cleaner.It can be programmed to print a nozzle check pattern to keep ink flowing when not in use.Computer must be on.I keep my water bucket close to my printers but not too close as to get large prints wet from dropping them into the water.Nothing special though.I cleaned the wipers myself from the videos taken from here(see link below:the x900 guru).Simple. It's not too bad-I believe you will be pleased with the results.Just have a few hoops to jump through.
Look here for tutorials and self servicing.I used the windex method to clear major clogs on 4900 a year ago and current 4800.

He's (Eric) fantastic.
http://myx900.com

disneytoy

« Reply #44 on: January 07, 2015, 12:25:39 am »

Thank you.

I look forward to my 9890 tomorrow. Bought a humidifier today, but not the one I wanted. Will add 2 water buckets. We have 19% humidity here. I ordered on ebay a humidity meter. So I can keep a eye on it.

cerett

• http://
« Reply #45 on: January 07, 2015, 12:05:30 pm »

Just to add my 2 cents... I was asking about humidifiers last year when I was experiencing bad clogs on my 4900.  I purchased this Sears/Kenmore unit and it's worked great.  I don't have a water source to continuously fill it, so I have to fill the tank every morning, and again when I leave at the end of the day (my studio is out of my home).  I'm in Central Ontario - north of Toronto and it gets very dry here in the winter... 25ish % a lot of the time.  I try to keep mine at least to the 40% mark but prefer it 45 to 50%. In that range I rarely have problems.

I just got back from not having the printers (I also have the 9900) or humidifier running for two weeks. Before I left, I put some AIS fluid in the docking station.  I still had a clog on the 4900 on almost all channels when I got back, but I got the humidity back up to 45%, did a head clean and print - and the print was fine. It's still showing a few misses in the test pattern, but it's working and now that I'm back and can keep the humidity at a reasonably consistent level, I should have few problems.

I am really curious about "the few misses in the test pattern." I've had this occur after multiple attempts to get a full test pattern on a nozzle check. It drives me nuts! Is it fair to say that if the output looks okay, you don't really need to have a full test pattern? Is the presence of banding the cut off point?
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up