Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Aperture - where are the files?  (Read 6194 times)

Gigi

• some work
Aperture - where are the files?
« on: December 26, 2014, 10:03:59 am »

I've got a couple of large Aperture libraries (>50 gb) and wondering about what to do with them in the long term. At the time it seemed like a good idea to have the images in the library. Now… not so good, especially if one will migrate to either LR or C1 . With that in mind - is it possible to:

- remake the libraries (wight heir current structure), with the files left outside of Aperture?
- import the database into either LR or C1, but leave the files somewhere else? 

Thanks all.
Geoff

Clearair

Re: Aperture - where are the files?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2014, 11:56:49 am »

Hi
Try looking at referenced files in the Aperture user manual.
 This may be what you want.
I don't think your libraries are very big.
I have issues but my library was about 300GB's, I will be staying with Aperture until I see what the new Apple image App is like.

John Sluder

• John Sluder Photography
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2014, 12:25:22 pm »

Is a simple question of question of "reference" (external to the Aperture Library) or managed (internal to the Aperture Library)

In Aperture right click on the image to see if the files are in the Aperture Library.

You can migrate the files out of the Library in the file system with the "File>Relocate Originals" and you can move the original images out of the library structure and in the finder allow use with another software

Gigi

• some work
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2014, 09:33:04 pm »

Thanks - that all helps a lot.
Geoff

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2014, 05:53:30 pm »

I did this once and from memory it worked.
You copy the Aperture Library to an external disk (Copy in case you break it).
Then open the new Aperture library contents using Control - Show Package Contents.
You find the folder "Originals" and move it outside the Aperture Library on the external disk.
You create an alias for the new Originals folder and put it back where the old one was. Rename it "Originals".
Double click the Library and it should work.
You now only import by putting the files in the Originals folder and keep the Library in the same place as the originals. Then you can use them on any computer or put the drive on a server.

Eventually you can delete the old library.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography
Pages: [1]   Go Up