Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Interesting story! Potential buyer wanted a bargain-my first experience!  (Read 4585 times)

Jglaser757

This is kind of arrogant! But I learned my first lesson dealing with the public.

Yesterday I was contacted by a very complimentary individual that wanted to buy a signed print from me. We spend about half an hour messaging back and forth about my work, how I got in photography and where I have shown my images,etc. She then asked about
prices for a specific image. I Quoted and she said it was alot higher than normal but to call her to discuss. I called up next day with a new lower quote and it was still to high for her. RED FLAG NUMBER ONE( I didnt recognize it)

She went on to tell me that she purchased an piece a painting that was considerably less
and that individual had to pay for her paints etc. In addition, that artist refunded her $100 when she complained about the colors. RED FLAG NUMBER TWO. I was further informed by this "customer" that I was not well known yet and
my prices should reflect that.

Needless to say, I sent a final email explaining that I will not de-value my work. And, selling to her for less would not be fair to others that paid more for a smaller photograph. Furthermore, I sent her a link to purchase it online from a POD for the price she wants

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Re: Interesting story! Potential buyer wanted a bargain-my first experience!
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2014, 02:44:06 pm »

... I called up next day with a new lower quote...

Red flag of your own ;)

If you immediately start devaluing your own work, no wonder she pounces on the opportunity. The only time I would consider reducing the quoted price would be for a volume discount, i.e., if someone is willing to buy two or more pieces.

Jglaser757

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2014, 04:11:28 pm »

Red flag of your own ;)

If you immediately start devaluing your own work, no wonder she pounces on the opportunity. The only time I would consider reducing the quoted price would be for a volume discount, i.e., if someone is willing to buy two or more pieces.

Good Point..I did lower it when she balked at my asking price of 1200 for a signed print 54x38

jferrari

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2014, 10:49:59 pm »

Good Point..I did lower it when she balked at my asking price of 1200 for a signed print 54x38

I sell (well, I try to sell) that size canvas print on MightyCore in an aluminum frame ready-to-hang and shrinkwrapped for $178.16. And people still think my prices are too high.    - Jim
Nothing changes until something changes.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2014, 02:02:09 am »

Don't bid against yourself.  Wait for the counter offer.  Then negotiate from there.

geesbert

• http://www.randlkofer.com
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2015, 03:44:21 am »

I think it is quite easy: If you find people, who pay 1200 for your print, then it is worth 1200. If that is too expensive for her, bad luck for her.

If you can't sell prints at that rate, they might be too expensive.

-------------------------
[url=http://ww

chez

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2015, 06:18:26 am »

I think it is quite easy: If you find people, who pay 1200 for your print, then it is worth 1200. If that is too expensive for her, bad luck for her.

If you can't sell prints at that rate, they might be too expensive.

Yep...bottom line is your customers will determine what your prints are worth.

joneil

• This is what beer does to you....
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2015, 08:26:27 am »

Yep...bottom line is your customers will determine what your prints are worth.

"Everything is worth what its purchaser will pay for it."
    Publilius Syrus, Roman Writer (~100 BC)
:)

On the other side of things, many years ago, I knew of a local professional photographer who litterally had two price lists.  One list was for one community he dealt with, and it had what you might call "regular" prices, and the second list had prices that were 20% higher than the first list, and that was for other people.

Depending on who or whom we was dealing with, he woudl pull out one price lsit for his services or the other.  Usually the second price list was for people who wanted to haggle, and from what I understand, the final price was often just above or below what his "regular" prices were.  For the record, I don't know how he determined which  price list he was goign to use, but some people are good at judging others.   Just look at professional poker players.

This all took place long before the internet became common place, and I do not know if you could even try to do such a thing today.  But he did it for a lifetime, and retired from a long and successful career.

good luck
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 08:28:01 am by joneil »

NancyP

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2015, 11:47:04 am »

Art can be bought "on installment" from many dealers. I have purchased this way with local dealers. 50% down, 50% over x months, dealer keeps print on display, but labeled "sold". That might be how I would approach a customer trying to lowball the quote. Helpful, sounds out how serious the customer is.

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2015, 04:31:25 pm »

"Madam,

I am sorry to hear that my artwork is too expensive for your meager budget. Perhaps when you achieve a some level of financial success you can get back in touch.

Regards,

etc."

Colorado David

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2015, 09:32:27 pm »

If it were me in that situation I would simply say that my prices were not negotiable, however as time goes by, they might go up.  I have declined to sell a print to a customer.  He saw an image of mine in a magazine that had been licensed through a stock agency.  This guy called the stock agency and told them he wanted to buy a large print.  They referred him to me.  We spoke a few times and I got the impression he wanted to buy the print in order to duplicate it or parts of it.  I can't remember all of the conversations now, but he kept asking how hard it would be to make several images by cropping to certain elements in the images.  He could never explain why he wanted to do that.  I simply declined to sell to him.
Pages: [1]   Go Up