Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson 4000 not printing trailing “stroke”  (Read 4663 times)

paulbk

Epson 4000 not printing trailing “stroke”
« on: December 24, 2005, 12:30:41 pm »

re: Epson 4000, w/latest driver & firmware
I generally put a 1 or 2 pixel black stroke around my prints to define the edge boundary. Helpful for open sky and snow. Also, recently I’ve experimented with upsampling and printing at 720 ppi using Genuine Fractals (as good as, if not the best, upsample method). I’m trying to duplicate what Qimage does, i.e., send the printer a lot of pixels per inch.

The problem.. when printing from Photoshop the 4000 often drops the last row of dots and does not print the stroke on the trailing edge. However, if I print the same file using Qimage it prints fine, the last stroke row is there. (same everything, print size, paper, icc, etc.). The print quality for both is excellent. But it bugs me that printing from Photoshop does not print the last (trailing edge) stroke row. Any thoughts?

p
paul b.k.
New England, USA

Jonathan Wienke

• http://visual-vacations.com/
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2005, 12:59:39 pm »

There's several possibilities, the most likely being that the stroke increases the canvas size slightly, just enough for the edge to fall off the page. QImage's fit-to-size methodology will reduce the size slightly so that it falls entirely within the printable area, but Photoshop will not.

Or it could simply be a bug in Photoshop's print code.

BTW, resizing to 720DPI prior to printing with QImage is typically unnecessary. QImage does an excellent job of interpolating to the specified print size as long as the original image's PPI setting for the selected print size is adequate. After doing some print comparisons, I concluded that custom interpolating with Genuine Fractals or PhotoZoom Pro for a particular print size doesn't add that much value to the final print. In most cases, QImage's interpolation and sharpening settings will deliver more than acceptable results.

Jack Flesher

• www.getdpi.com
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2005, 06:50:36 pm »

Is your "stroke" in CS set to Inside, Outside, or Middle?  Try setting it to inside.
Jack
[url=http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/

paulbk

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2005, 09:20:29 am »

I’ve done some testing. Tried inside, center, and outside. Each with and without resizing the canvas after the stroke. Printing to Epson 4000 using plain inkjet paper. Strange results but there seems to be a pattern.

Test File= simple tif file, 720 x 720 ppi (1 inch square, 8 bit, white background)

Method=
[Select] > All
[Edit] > Stroke > 1 pixel, black, inside/center/outside, normal
[Select] > Deselect

Results=
1) CS2 does not “change the resolution” when you add a stroke. Still 720 x 720 ppi no matter where you add the strike (inside, center, outside).
2) CS2 will not print all four sides of the stroke at 720 ppi. Prints top and left side only.
3) Qimage will print all four sides as expected (same file).
4) If you reduce the resolution to 360x360 ppi CS2 will print all four sides.
5) It’s a bug in CS2..., I think?

p
paul b.k.
New England, USA

p.tinson

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2005, 05:26:58 pm »

I dont think its a bug in Photoshop more to do with the driver.
The driver interperlates to 360 ppi for its input, unless finest detail is selected in the driver where it uses an input of 720.
As the printer prints at 1440 x720 to get the best detail you need to have the ppi as an even submutiple of the lines per inch (360 or 180) at any other ppi a one pixal line will be printed in one of three ways. 1 thicker, 2 correctly or 3 thinner or not at all.
Qimage I believe outputs to the driver at 360 ppi and therfor prints correctly.

I always work that for A3 size or lower at 360 ppi and for A3+ 180 ppi when printing to an Epson printer.

Peter
Pages: [1]   Go Up