Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How can I adapt one colour profile for one camera over to another?  (Read 36668 times)

Gel

Hi all,
I have a camera raw profile for my Canon 1DX but wish to take this over to my Pentax 645z.

Can I use Adobe's DNG profile editor? If so how best do I do this?

Thanks!

deejjjaaaa

Re: How can I adapt one colour profile for one camera over to another?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2014, 09:09:11 pm »

Hi all,
I have a camera raw profile for my Canon 1DX but wish to take this over to my Pentax 645z.

Thanks!

what are you trying to achieve ? CFA properties are different between 2 cameras, so applying the same color color transform guided by that DCP profile will not give you the same colors... however if you still want this then you can use dcptool by SandyMc and manually edit camera model, etc (dump to xml, edit model, compile back to dcp with a proper name)

thierrylegros396

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2014, 02:27:17 pm »

Shoot a Gretag MacBeth chart with your 645z and make profile with Adobe DNG Editor.

Save it as a Reference Profile.

After you can tweak it to obtain what you want.

Save different versions.

Enjoy.

Thierry
« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 01:42:47 pm by thierrylegros396 »

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2014, 02:46:58 pm »

Hi,

I would think this is workable. But, white balance is a very major factor. If your cameras use different WB, the images will differ.

Shoot a grey card, adjust WB and save it as preset for that kind of light.

Best regards
Erik

Shoot a Gretag MacBeth chart with your 645z and make profile with Adobe DNG Editor.

Save it as a Reference Profile.

After you can teak it to obtain what you want.

Save different versions.

Enjoy.

Thierry
Erik Kaffehr

Chris_Brown

• Smile dammit!
    • Chris Brown Photography
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2015, 08:06:17 pm »

Not advisable unless you're goin for experimental results. In that case, just pull it up in ACR and use it.
~ CB

kirkt

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2015, 03:33:13 pm »

Not advisable unless you're goin for experimental results. In that case, just pull it up in ACR and use it.

You cannot select a 1Dx profile from the ACR profile dropdown for the Pentax, as it won't appear there - as deeejjjaaa noted, you need to edit a donor 1Dx dcp file and replace the Canon CameraIdentifier tag in the profile with the Pentax tag to make ACR/LR "see" the Canon profile for the Pentax camera model.

You can make a copy of the 1Dx profile - call it something like "1Dx_for_Pentax645z.dcp" - then decompile it into XML using dcptool, edit the xml, and then recompile into a dcp.  You will probably have to decompile a Pentax 645z dcp as well to find out the exact CameraIdentifier tag to use in the donor 1Dx file.

kirk
« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 03:36:25 pm by kirkt »

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2015, 05:58:24 pm »

You might be able to edit one or the other DNG profile for a closer visual match. Isn't going to be perfect.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Chris_Brown

• Smile dammit!
    • Chris Brown Photography
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2015, 09:36:27 am »

You cannot select a 1Dx profile from the ACR profile dropdown for the Pentax, as it won't appear there  . . . You can make a copy of the 1Dx profile - call it something like "1Dx_for_Pentax645z.dcp" - then decompile it into XML using dcptool, edit the xml, and then recompile into a dcp.  You will probably have to decompile a Pentax 645z dcp as well to find out the exact CameraIdentifier tag to use in the donor 1Dx file.

Thanks for the clarification.
~ CB

ario

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2015, 04:35:18 am »

You cannot select a 1Dx profile from the ACR profile dropdown for the Pentax, as it won't appear there - as deeejjjaaa noted, you need to edit a donor 1Dx dcp file and replace the Canon CameraIdentifier tag in the profile with the Pentax tag to make ACR/LR "see" the Canon profile for the Pentax camera model.

You can make a copy of the 1Dx profile - call it something like "1Dx_for_Pentax645z.dcp" - then decompile it into XML using dcptool, edit the xml, and then recompile into a dcp.  You will probably have to decompile a Pentax 645z dcp as well to find out the exact CameraIdentifier tag to use in the donor 1Dx file.

kirk
It seem to me that it is possible to choose any .dcp profile stored inside your system, no matter which camera is designated for. From the DNG Profile Editor at the bottom of the drop down menĂ¹ just select "Choose external profile..." and navigate through your file system to select the .dcp profile you want to use as a starting point for your new camera profile. Edit to taste and export.

kirkt

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2015, 09:22:50 am »

It seem to me that it is possible to choose any .dcp profile stored inside your system, no matter which camera is designated for. From the DNG Profile Editor at the bottom of the drop down menĂ¹ just select "Choose external profile..." and navigate through your file system to select the .dcp profile you want to use as a starting point for your new camera profile. Edit to taste and export.

My post was in reference to using the dcp's in ACR or LR, not in the DNG Editor.  It was my impression that the OP wanted to use a Canon 1DX dcp for his Pentax - presumably he wants to use the Canon dcp to give some look to his Pentax images during raw conversion.  You cannot simply select any arbitrary dcp in ACR or LR, the profiles for the camera that generated the image you are editing are automatically chosen by ACR/LR based on their identifier tag in the dcp.  Etc.

kirk
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 09:26:48 am by kirkt »
Pages: [1]   Go Up