Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: If I Only Had A Brain... I mean, SSD!  (Read 3505 times)

zr_photo

If I Only Had A Brain... I mean, SSD!
« on: December 18, 2014, 05:19:06 pm »

So I'm not all that savvy when it comes to computers, so don't laugh at me... too much?!? But it's time for me to start looking for a new computer solely for ME. The only thing this computer will do is run Windows (of course), Capture One, Sony Vegas Pro Suite, BlinkBid, a little of Microsoft Office and do a little web work online for the most part, no games are played on it and no kids will be playing on it either. Most systems that I have been looking at are 12,16, or 32GB / 1 to 2TB w/ 4th Gen i7 and NVIDIA cards w/ at least 2GB.

I guess my main question is right now, would a SSD in addition to my HDD (SSD running as boot drive) be highly recommended or is it something that really wouldn't make a huge difference?

Mamiya 645 AFD III w/ P45+
Canon 1Ds III
Canon 1D IV
couple of Canon 1D III
my old Canon XTi 👍

deejjjaaaa

Re: If I Only Had A Brain... I mean, SSD!
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2014, 05:22:28 pm »

So I'm not all that savvy when it comes to computers, so don't laugh at me... too much?!? But it's time for me to start looking for a new computer solely for ME. The only thing this computer will do is run Windows (of course), Capture One, Sony Vegas Pro Suite, BlinkBid, a little of Microsoft Office and do a little web work online for the most part, no games are played on it and no kids will be playing on it either. Most systems that I have been looking at are 12,16, or 32GB / 1 to 2TB w/ 4th Gen i7 and NVIDIA cards w/ at least 2GB.

I guess my main question is right now, would a SSD in addition to my HDD (SSD running as boot drive) be highly recommended or is it something that really wouldn't make a huge difference?

pus OS/Apps on SSD and you will see a difference when booting and starting programs vs regular HDD (may be not so much vs "fusion" type HDDs which have smaller /bur way bigger than just regular cache in HDDs/ SSD paired internally with regular HDD)

zr_photo

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2014, 05:30:17 pm »

you lost me here... "may be not so much vs "fusion" type HDDs which have smaller /bur way bigger than just regular cache in HDDs/ SSD paired internally with regular HDD"

One example that I'm looking has these specs... if this even helps:

Intel Core i7-4770 3.40 GHz
NVIDIA GeForce GT 640 3 GB
16GB DDR3 / 1600
2TB / 7200

Another question to add, this one doesn't come w/ a SSD... can it be added and then set up to run w/ the SSD acting as boot drive?
Canon 1Ds III
Canon 1D IV
couple of Canon 1D III
my old Canon XTi 👍

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2014, 02:09:23 pm »

you lost me here... "may be not so much vs "fusion" type HDDs which have smaller /bur way bigger than just regular cache in HDDs/ SSD paired internally with regular HDD"

16GB DDR3 / 1600
2TB / 7200

Another question to add, this one doesn't come w/ a SSD... can it be added and then set up to run w/ the SSD acting as boot drive?
Things will be a lot easier if you get the SSD installed and configured with the OS and programs before you do any work at all.  You can get a good 256/240GB SSD from Crucial or Samsung that will be a solid performer for not much money.  Most vendors of PCs offer the option of adding an SSD prior to purchase.

Torbjörn Tapani

Re:
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2014, 02:37:39 pm »

Get a SSD preferably 500 Gb for the system so that you do not end up with a full system drive. SSDs perform better with some space left. Samsung are good.

RAW files can live on the 2Tb HDD.

zr_photo

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2014, 05:17:24 pm »

So new question which is adding to my confusion... Can someone please explain "scratch disk"?

For about $250 more I can end up with:

i7-3770 (3.4) - 64 bit Quad Core
8MB L3 Cache
32GB DDR3 / 1600
3TB HDD + 128GB SSD
NVIDIA GTX 660 / 3GB

Are these specs more in-line with what I would need or is this a bit overkill? ---- or not enough?!?

... for file size reference, I'm currently shooting w/ 1d iv and iii and 1ds iii but will be adding a mamiya 645 afd iii w/ p45+ back soon.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 05:24:36 pm by zr_photo »
Canon 1Ds III
Canon 1D IV
couple of Canon 1D III
my old Canon XTi 👍

dwswager

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2014, 01:21:29 pm »

16GB DDR3 / 1600
2TB / 7200

Get a SSD for the boot drive.  I currently recommend the Samsung 840s for value.  The 850s and the Crucials are currently performance leaders.  It is a simple, quick and painless trasition if the boot drive already loaded with programs. You can even buy a 'kit' version of the SSD that will come with a USB to SATA cable.  Plug up the drive, run Samsung Data Migration software and it will build the SSD just like the original HD.

Get 2nd 2TB hard drive, preferably same model as original, and use Intel software RAID to put it into RAID 1 mirror.  Failure of a single drive won't loose the data.  Cheap insurance!!!

Oh, and remember, unless gaming or doing 3D modelling or looking for 30Bit color which is different issue from processing and memory on card, you can use an inexpensive, low memory, low processing card for photo editing. Not pushing much data at all!

zr_photo

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2014, 08:13:49 pm »

So I have changed things up a little... well a lot for the time being really. After thinking about it more, I'd like to pick up a laptop 1st along with 2 good external monitors and then start building up a pretty decent powerhouse editing machine over the next little while. I really have a bigger need for a laptop (portability) which will be able to do an alright job with external monitors vs a desktop at home.

The specs for the laptop look like it will be:
15.6" FHD (16:9) Anti-Glare Matte IPS Screen (1920x1080)
4th Gen Intel i7-4710HQ Haswell Processor / Intel HM87 Chipset
1TB 7200 SATA III (6Gb/s) HDD
12GB DDR3 1600 (Dual Channel Memore: 1x8GB 1x4GB)
mSATA 120GB Samsung 840 EVO Solid State mSATA III (Read 530MB/s Write 500MB/s)
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M (4.0GB) GDDR 5 PCI-Express DX11 w/ Optimus Technology

Now the mSATA SSD, I'm still a little confused....

It should be set up to run as boot drive or should it be set up for scratch disk?

Now I know what scratch disk space is now but will it come into play for photo editing or while setting up timelapse within Sony Vegas or is it something that really has more to do with full video (HD , 3D or 4k) editing?

What are thoughts about these laptops specs?
Canon 1Ds III
Canon 1D IV
couple of Canon 1D III
my old Canon XTi 👍
Pages: [1]   Go Up