Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Photographic Printing on Canvas:Is it "Fine Art" Printing?  (Read 40511 times)

Tony Jay

Re: Photographic Printing on Canvas:Is it "Fine Art" Printing?
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2014, 08:48:07 pm »

Greetings William.

Merry Christmas!

I can confirm that in the CPS tutorial series that printing on canvas is covered and very well too (C2PS_48_PrintCanvas.mov).
Everyone else seems to be having a ball debating the merits of printing on canvas and my contribution there will be to read with interest!

Tony Jay

Garry Sarre

• Photography by Sarre
« Reply #21 on: December 25, 2014, 04:52:42 am »

Hi William.

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I don't think the public have any confusion about what canvas wraps are. They are what they are. As Dave mentions, they outsell paper prints. It's possibly a novelty to them. It's cheap and easy to bang up on a wall. Some portrait photographers like them because they can sell them as a set.

Here's you all together in the middle, at the sides are the kids, at the top is the dog and underneath is grandma....sort of thing. Big pictures with no space wasted on matte and frame. Here's the set, problem solved all on one wall. $5K, will that be cash or credit!

I didn't mean to sound superior by putting down wraps as most of my contemporaries flog them to their customers. It's just personally, I think they look second rate as compared to a nicely framed and matted print on paper or a nicely framed canvas.
Portrait Photographer and printer

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• I've even written a book about it
    • SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #22 on: December 25, 2014, 06:14:09 pm »

Agree 100% ...

... but completely disagree with the above. Think of the HSL color model, and saturation has nothing to do with adding other colors of the spectrum (which will alter the hue) nor changing luminosity.

Print for sales and revenue,

Thanks and the same for everybody

Yes you are indeed correct Francisco, I have engaged brain and given it a bit more thought and agree that increasing saturation is achieved by adding more and more of the same colour until it becomes a solid 100% detailess block of that one colour  :)

Dave

Colorado David

« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2015, 04:18:29 pm »

I have printed on canvas that is then mounted on gatorboard and framed.  I have also printed on canvas that is mounted on stretchers with black edges.  Do you have the same aversion to the stretched with black edges?

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2015, 04:29:13 pm »

... Do you have the same aversion to the stretched with black edges?

Black edges work rather fine for me and my public, to the point that it is not even perceived as "canvas" any more. Public seems to associate "gallery-wrap canvas" with cheap, cliche canvas, but not with black edges.

DeanChriss

• http://www.dmcphoto.com
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2015, 08:24:26 pm »

fine art; noun
1.  creative art, especially visual art, whose products are to be appreciated primarily or solely for their imaginative, aesthetic, or intellectual content.

So, prints on canvas are indeed "fine art".

On several occasions I have overheard art show attendees asking among themselves whether photographs printed on canvas were photographs or paintings. More than once people concluded that they were paintings only to be amazed when the photographer corrected them. So, at least in cases where canvas texture is similar to that commonly used for paintings, there is indeed some confusion among the general public as to what they are viewing. That could be negated with a simple sign, but that doesn't change the fact that some canvas types give the impression of a painting.

Whether one likes photos printed on canvas prints is purely a matter of personal taste. There is no question that canvas prints outsell conventional prints on paper. I personally prefer photographic prints on a very smooth paper surface and do not use canvas even though I know sales would increase if I did. I think the bottom line is that everyone should do what they are comfortable doing, and whatever that turns out to be is not "wrong".
- Dean

LKaven

« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2015, 03:22:22 pm »

There was an "early kitsch" tradition, roughly coinciding with the oil-on-astroturf period, in which heavy canvas was used to create "the look of real painting".  Sad clowns, wide-eyed orphans, and Elvis.

I have to say, I was resistant to the idea at first, but the newer fine-weave canvases make for very nice media.  No kitsch in this canvas.  The texture is very subtle and even, and the coating gives it a more 'gesso' quality.  Does a nice wide gamut too.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2015, 03:12:02 pm »

I've just come across an art fair that does not allow photographs printed on canvas in the "photography" category (57th Street Art Fair, Chicago). So there is that.

davidgp

• davidgp fotografia
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2015, 06:48:49 am »

I seem to have developed the notion, not deliberately, that printing photography on canvas is not quite "fine art photographic printing". Is this a fair conclusion?

For me the notion that if it is art just because you print in paper instead of canvas it is like saying a painter does art if he/she paints only on canvas instead if she/he does acrylic painting. Dismiss the artistic value of a photograph in its composition and them the different decisions during the adjustments in lightroom/photoshop/etc... just because it is printed in canvas...

Perhaps it is my photographic and printing "upbringing" - most of which has taken place here on Luminous Landscape. In the "Camera to Print" videos I don't recall Michael Reichman or Jeff Schewe mentioning canvas. In his book, "The Digital Print", Jeff passes the printing on canvas section over to someone else. I trawled through most of the articles here on LL - I could not find any product reviews, tutorials or essays on canvas.

Small note, in the new version of the "Camera to Print": "Camara to Print and Screen" ( http://media.luminous-landscape.com/video/tutorials/c2ps/C2PS-ToC_final.pdf ) you have two chapters: 47 and 48 dedicated only to canvas printing. The explanation is not made by Jeff Schewe or Michael Reichman , they go to the studio of Andrew Collett ( http://www.andrewcollett.com/ ) (he was featured before in one of the LLVJ), I suppose both, Jeff Schewe and Michael Reichman, wanted to explain it with someone with more experience than them doing canvas printing.

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2015, 10:11:35 am »

Black edges work rather fine for me and my public, to the point that it is not even perceived as "canvas" any more. Public seems to associate "gallery-wrap canvas" with cheap, cliche canvas, but not with black edges.

As H.L. Mencken pointed out: "Nobody ever went broke underestimating the taste of the American public."
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Isaac

« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2015, 01:46:14 pm »

As H.L. Mencken pointed out: "Nobody ever went broke underestimating the taste of the American public."

Presumably you consider yourself to be a representative member of the American public?

RSL

« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2015, 02:15:17 pm »

Not when it comes to buying or producing photographic prints on canvas, Isaac. Where do YOU stand on that question?

Isaac

« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2015, 05:58:06 pm »

I didn't set foot in the USA until my mid-thirties, I doubt that's typical.

RSL

« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2015, 06:00:07 pm »

What does that have to do with your take on canvas prints?

amolitor

« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2015, 06:04:32 pm »

Feed the conversation, Isaac.

RSL

« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2015, 06:11:25 pm »

That would mean taking a stand, Andrew.

Isaac

« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2015, 06:27:23 pm »

Feed the conversation, Isaac.

"Boeuf bourg{u}ignon."

What does that have to do with your take on canvas prints?

My "take" is that it's easier to ridicule "the taste of the American public" than it is to know what's currently acceptable.

RSL

« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2015, 07:40:48 pm »

In other words, you don't want to answer the question because that actually would be taking a position on something.

amolitor

« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2015, 10:06:09 pm »

I confess that that I am puzzled by your attitude, Isaac.

You routinely chide people for failing to meet your expectations for meaningful contributions, by repeating the admonition 'feed the conversation' and yet when the same is applied to you, you become slightly snotty and - more notably - continue your nearly unbroken record of failing to make a single meaningful contradiction.

Are we your puppets, to dance for your amusement, while you sit in your lofty tower of enigmatic questions?

No. We are not.

William Walker

• William Walker Landscapes
« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2015, 01:13:49 am »

Two pages later and it would seem that it boils down to personal taste.

I have the feeling that this might be one area in commerce where the "artist" - not the customer should set the standard. No, the customer is not always right! Sometimes they need (and desire) to be educated. If one believes that canvas printing is "fine art" - no problem.

It is therefore up to each photographer who sells prints to sell their work in whatever medium they feel most comfortable with. It would be interesting to know what the average selling price for canvas prints is, as opposed to paper. My guess would be that canvas wins by a long way in terms of volume, while framed paper prints sell for higher prices.

I will continue to print on paper. Personal taste.
William.

PS. What prompted this question in the first place was when a local, very successful, photographer asked me whether I printed on canvas. I told him that I had taken a decision not to print on canvas because I did not consider it to be "fine art printing". I see now that I might be wrong. Still, I am quite prepared to lose that business because nothing here has convinced me otherwise.
"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." Christopher Hitchens
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up