Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The TOUGH E-Mount from Fotodiox Pro  (Read 15719 times)

caribsurf47

The TOUGH E-Mount from Fotodiox Pro
« on: December 15, 2014, 03:50:39 pm »

See: http://www.fotodioxpro.com/tough-emount-from-fotodiox-pro-replacement-lens-mount-for-sony-nex-emount-camera.html

I have been using the Sony ILCE-7R for 12 months now and recently decided to replace the factory fitted lens mount which is a two part construction, with the critical component that holds the lens in place made of plastic. The problem I experienced was with my Sony FE 70–200mm F4 G OSS Telephoto Zoom (SEL70200G). This is quite a heavy lens and the lens detached itself twice from the camera body when mounting the Camera/Body to a tripod. The fitted mount allows for too much play between the camera and body, something that I had not experienced when mounting the Sonnar T* FE 35mm F2.8 ZA Wide-angle Prime (SEL35F28Z), which is a relatively light lens. Cutting to the chase, I ordered a TOUGH E Mount from Fotodiox and have fitted it. This has resolved the "wobble" issue and provided me with a secure means of mounting the Sony FE 70–200mm F4 G OSS Telephoto Zoom (SEL70200G) and my other Zeiss ZE lenses via a Metabones Canon EF to Sony E-Mount Adapter Mark III.

Having given the Kit supplied by Photodiox a lot of retrospective thought over the last week or so, I have focused my thinking on the matter:

(1) Although there is a Video on the Fotodiox Website there are NO instructions whats so ever supplied with the kit. This is potentially dangerous
(2) The use of the CORRECT Cross Headed Driver to remove the screws and re-attach them is neither provided or the correct size quoted. This is a potentially serious omission as it will be easy to strip the tiny heads of the screws by using the incorrect size Driver. I think that the Driver AND 4 replacement screws should be provided in the Kit. I appreciate that it will increase the cost of the Kit but it is too important an issue not to have one. The danger is that DIY'ers will make do, so to speak, and employ the incorrect Driver to the task. Disaster may well follow. This post is really to give you a "Heads Up" and advanced warning.

If you are a competent DIY'er then you should experience no problems. If on the other hand you fit into the Ham Fist'd category it may be worth paying someone else to fit the replacement as you will be working with an exposed sensor near by.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 03:53:04 pm by caribsurf47 »

AFairley

Re: The TOUGH E-Mount from Fotodiox Pro
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2014, 12:52:54 pm »

As to the cross-headed screws, I'll bet they are JIS and not Phillips head (as with all photo gear).  Phillips drivers (unlike JIS drivers) are physically designed to turn themselves out of the screw head at a certain torque, which makes it easy to strip the slots of tight JIS screws with them -  something I discovered to my cost with a Nikon lens mount.  JIS sets are readily available online.

caribsurf47

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2014, 02:23:24 pm »

Yes, it is not difficult to strip the screw heads if you use the incorrect tool, hence my feeling that an appropriate tool should be included. I have two complete sets of Jewelers Phillips and Flat Bladed screw drivers, so it was not too much of an issue. If the heads get stripped you may have to get the screws drilled out. Not a great idea. Steve

Gravastar

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2014, 06:09:23 pm »

Yes, they are definitely JIS probably #00 which fits although a 2mm which is smaller also fits. If you use a Philips and apply torque the driver will jump out and strip the head. Philips drivers have an inner radius rather than the JIS sharp angle which will cause them to push out and rotate. Be aware that the A7 series mount screws have thread locker which has to be overcome - making the correct choice of driver essential.

Bob.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 06:14:27 pm by Gravastar »

LKaven

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2014, 10:39:11 am »

All you need is a jewelers screwdriver (phillips) to remove and replace four little screws.

They are listed as "phillips" (quoted above from the Fotodiox site) which would certainly add to the confusion if they were JIS.

Wrote to Fotodiox and got this answer:

Hi Luke,

We recommend using a Phillips #00 screwdriver to mount the Tough E-Mount. It's worked flawlessly in all of our assembly tests.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 11:09:14 am by LKaven »

AFairley

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2014, 11:26:47 am »

Luke, I would be astounded if a Japanese camera maker was using Phillips head screws rather than JIS.  Most people do not realize there are different flavors of cross-slotted screws (there is another one in addition to Phillips and JIS, if I recall), but I would have expected more from Fotodiox.  I suppose one could try asking Roger Cicala at lensrentals.com, I expect he could give you the correct answer on the Sony mount screws.  http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2013/05/a-few-easy-lens-dustings

LKaven

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2014, 01:32:45 pm »

Luke, I would be astounded if a Japanese camera maker was using Phillips head screws rather than JIS.

I agree, it's a good point.  I sent a link to this thread to the Fotodiox rep, in case he'd like to offer more detail.

speedyk

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2014, 02:08:58 pm »

I'd try a Reed and Prince, just to be ornery.

16mman

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2014, 02:53:44 pm »

Hi everyone,

Sean Anderson here. I work for Fotodiox on their Video Team and I did all of the initial tests with the Tough E-Mount before we launched it. I can verify that the Phillips #00 is the screwdriver we use and it works perfectly for removing Sony's E-Mount and installing our Tough E-Mount. This screwdriver fits perfectly into the E-Mount's screws and removes them with very little force.
Check out my photographic work at https://www.flickr.com/photos/seanandersonmedia

AFairley

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2014, 04:08:08 pm »

Notwithstanding that it may be possible to remove the Sony mount screws with a Phillips driver (indeed, I have removed Oly lens flange screws fine with a Phillips while the same driver stripped the slots of Nikon flange screws), I stand by my assertion that the Sony screws are almost certainly JIS regardless.  That being so, I would rather spend the couple of bucks for a JIS driver to reduce the risk of cam out and stripping the screws in case I ran into higher than expected resistance. 

Gravastar

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2014, 08:04:22 pm »

Google is your friend  :)

http://www.amazon.com/review/R2IGKQ2NY1ZFHK

http://www.talkemount.com/showthread.php?t=9150  3rd page is success with removal tool for stripped screw heads.

Bob.

caribsurf47

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2014, 05:18:03 am »

The discourse on the topic of fitting the TOUGH E-Mount from Photodiox has been informative. Unfortunately, it has not really addressed my original concerns i.e. there are no instructions included with the "Device". I am in no way connected with the legal profession but I am fairly certain that here in Europe, under European Law, a Company cannot Market or Sell a Device without Instructions or a warning concerning Liability. Even something as simple as a replacements Mains Plug for a lamp comes with instructions and a recommendation that a qualified Electrician should be employed. Now none us pay any attention to these matters, however, should your house burn down because you have incorrectly wired the plug, the Company has an out in a court of Law. Unwittingly or otherwise, the employee from Photodiox has now stated in writing that the mount should be replaced with a Phillips Driver. Let us hope that this statement has been approved at the highest level within Photodiox as that is now a statement of fact.

Storm in a Tea Cup/Much Ado About Nothing?
Possibly, as I fitted and benefited from the replacement. It is not that difficult a procedure. Please Photodiox, supply instructions including the size of the correct tool and if possible, a Part Number for the Driver from say, Maplins Electronics in the UK or Radio Shack in the USA/Canada, if they are still trading.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 08:53:55 am by caribsurf47 »

Jakub

• http://www.wjakubowski.com
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2015, 06:11:45 pm »

I purchased the Sony a7R and the Sony A-mount 24-70 f/2.8 lens with the Sony A-Mount adapter. I was also concerned about the amount of "play" in the lens mount particularly as it is a fairly heavy lens so when I read about the Fotodiox Pro Tough E-Mount I ordered one.
 I was not aware of JIS until I read this thread today. Using their recommended Philips driver I had difficulty with only one of the four screws but did get it out swearing at the time that they didn't use torx head screws. I don't even know if they make torx head screws that small. I was certainly lucky that I didn't strip the head of the screw and would like to replace it in the future. At least now the mount has a minimal acceptable amount of play. Does anyone know what the screw specs are? Size and length?
Walter
h

Gravastar

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2015, 03:05:20 pm »

I also would like to know the Sony Part Number for the screws or their specification. Unless you know the part # or exact wording that Sony uses to describe them it's almost impossible to find spares by searching suppliers of Sony parts on line.

Bob.

AFairley

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2015, 12:44:06 pm »

If there's one in your area I'd just go to a good repair shop, they must have a bunch of screws lying around and I would think they could match you up.  I'm assuming Sony is using standard metric sizes instead of specing one-off sizes.

Gravastar

« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2015, 04:46:20 pm »

Apparently the part # is:

418654501 STEEL SCREW DIA UNDER6MM

listed on https://servicesales.sel.sony.com/ecom/accessories/web/productSearch.do

or from www.encompassparts.com

Sony 4-186-545-01 Steel Screw Dia Under6mm

Bob.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2015, 05:02:25 pm by Gravastar »

Jakub

• http://www.wjakubowski.com
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2015, 09:36:55 pm »

Much appreciated!   Thanks Bob for tracking this down!
Walter
h
Pages: [1]   Go Up