Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: If this doesn't boil your blood, have your partner check to see if you're dead.  (Read 17418 times)

ripgriffith

• ripsart.com

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=95855.0

Late to the party?
No, this is about the review,  not the photograph. Perhaps you should read  before leaping.

Diego Pigozzo

No, this is about the review,  not the photograph. Perhaps you should read  before leaping.

Well, from what I understand, the meaning of the review is something in the tone of "I could have done it and get paid millions of the shot, but for some reason I didn't and I hate it!".

IMHO, if a photographer is able to convince someone to pay that much for one of his photograph, he's surely an artist.
Some may say he's a con artist, but I think that it's not that easy to produce a strikingly beautiful photo, a photo that touch some cords.
When I grow up I want to be a photographer.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/diegopig/

amolitor

He's pretty much on an anti-photography roll these days, dredging up long dead debate to generate clicks and ad impressions for his masters at The Guardian. And doing a wonderful job at it.

stamper

Did you read the link I posted before you started your thread and ignored it or did you not read it at all? Essentially they are the same and the further posts are essentially the same. Therefore no need for two threads on the same subject. :(

amolitor

To be fair the other thread is in an extremely odd choice of sub forum.

Misirlou

• http://

What is it with the Guardian? I count at least three threads here in the last week or two about assorted outrages over Guardian articles.

Are they becoming the new Ken Rockwell?

ripgriffith

• ripsart.com

Did you read the link I posted before you started your thread and ignored it or did you not read it at all? Essentially they are the same and the further posts are essentially the same. Therefore no need for two threads on the same subject. :(
Of course I read it, and it has nothing to do with a pompous critic setting himself up as the prime arbiter of whether photography is or is not an art. That is the sole reason I posted the link and perhaps it is my mistake that I did not spell it out in great big capital letters so that everyone would know that this was not about whether someone can receive gigantic amounts of money for a photograph.

amolitor

Your link was posted and discussed in the cited thread.

ripgriffith

• ripsart.com

Your link was posted and discussed in the cited thread.

If so, I missed it, and so what?  Is it your mission to scold anyone who is "late to the party"?

amolitor

Yes? No? I don't even know what you're on about. You're certainly being obnoxious, though.

It's standard practice, when someone posts a new thread, to point out that there's already a thread active on the topic, to redirect discussion there, so we don't wind up with multiple overlapping threads, which is confusing for everyone. You're apparently either unaware of this, or you don't care. Anyways.

Knock it off, this thread is redundant.

ripgriffith

• ripsart.com

Provide any opportunity to misunderstand and it will be accepted with alacrity ;-)
+1

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald

Back to what I assume (rightly or wrongly) was the initial intention of this post...

To some extent I agree with Jonathon Jones, particularly when he says,

"If this is the most valuable “fine art photograph” in history, God help fine art photography. For this hollow and overblown creation exposes the illusion that lures us all, when we’re having a good day with a good camera – the fantasy that taking a picture is the same thing as making a work of art."

For all we might like to think about ourselves as artists, creating art is more than being at the right place at the right time with the right camera and the right technique. On purpose, I use the the tag line on my website "revealing the art inherent in nature". I'm not an artist if I point my camera at a spectacular natural scene and capture in silicon and on paper for posterity. People may think and say otherwise, but I don't think it is "art".

At the same time, I do not agree with Jonathon Jones' earlier pro-photography editorial (Jan 2013) where he goes on about validating photography - and at the same time limiting its scope - as an art form for its ability to capture human emotion. Yes, it does that well, but photography is also the best art medium for capturing nature's emotions without only minimal human interference - which is where I'm coming from as a photographer. Sure I choose the lens, the angle, aperture, etc., etc., but all of that exists whether I'm standing there or not.

Is it art? Who cares?! I do what I like to do and keep doing it.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 06:20:58 pm by luxborealis »
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

luxborealis

You work with breast implants!

The sky is crying and so am I; but I'm the one with emotions not the sky.

You are correct on both counts, Isaac. Spelling aside, I made the uniquely human mistake of anthropomorphizing nature by giving it emotions. The emotions I'm photographing are simply my (the viewer's) interpretations. My apologies for getting so wrapped up in the topic that I forgot myself.

stamper

Yes? No? I don't even know what you're on about. You're certainly being obnoxious, though.

It's standard practice, when someone posts a new thread, to point out that there's already a thread active on the topic, to redirect discussion there, so we don't wind up with multiple overlapping threads, which is confusing for everyone. You're apparently either unaware of this, or you don't care. Anyways.

Knock it off, this thread is redundant.

+1

Isaac

My apologies for getting so wrapped up in the topic that I forgot myself.

As you thought it worth mentioning, it would be helpful to provide a URL to "Jonathon Jones' earlier pro-photography editorial (Jan 2013)".

As you use it "on purpose" and a basic definition of art would involve human creative skill, in what way do you think there is "art inherent in nature" ?

ripgriffith

• ripsart.com

Since humankind seems unable to arrive at a universally acceptable answer to "What is art?", perhaps there really isn't any such thing.  Perhaps it's just one of those "really big questions" to keep us busy until Judgement Day.  In the meantime I, for one, will just keep on shooting and printing, and maybe I'll call it art, or maybe I'll just call it Fred in memory of Holly Golightly.

luxborealis

Since humankind seems unable to arrive at a universally acceptable answer to "What is art?", perhaps there really isn't any such thing.  Perhaps it's just one of those "really big questions" to keep us busy until Judgement Day.  In the meantime I, for one, will just keep on shooting and printing, and maybe I'll call it art, or maybe I'll just call it Fred in memory of Holly Golightly.

Art, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder.

mezzoduomo

Art, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder.

Or, is art really as much or more in the eye of its creator?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up