Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 35mm cams will do multishot via stabilizer.  (Read 1225 times)

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
35mm cams will do multishot via stabilizer.
« on: December 05, 2014, 07:58:20 pm »

http://www.43rumors.com/ft5-e-m5-successor-has-sensor-shift-to-create-up-to-40-megapixel-images-on-the-fly/

This should create some interesting pressure on entry-level MF, we all know the quality one gets from multishot :)

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

Theodoros

Re: 35mm cams will do multishot via stabilizer.
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2014, 08:03:35 pm »

http://www.43rumors.com/ft5-e-m5-successor-has-sensor-shift-to-create-up-to-40-megapixel-images-on-the-fly/

This should create some interesting pressure on entry-level MF, we all know the quality one gets from multishot :)

Edmund

Dream on...  :D Pigs can fly too... "An anonymous source told me"? ....MS without piezzo mechanism to move the sensor? ...sure thing!  ::)

There are a number of reasons why this "rumour" is pure web trolling Ed... 1. It is so obvious that there is no source for it... 2. The "author" doesn't know what he is talking about or what MS is... why? (you may ask...) ...Simply because A. there can't be a 48mp "true colour" outcome out of a 16mp sensor (3x), it's either 1x=16mp, or 4x=64mp ...no matter how many samples are captured. B. Because 8x is total nonsense... (especially if one uses Hasselblad's modern method to conclude the "outcome") since there is no different sensor positioning in the last two takes (7&8 ), than the previous two (5&6) ones.... C. Because the "article" obviously ignores that Hasselblad's method is interpolating the true colour result of 4x (which is captured first) to quadrable resolution... True colour capturing and quadrupling the resolution without interpolation involved, can only be achieved if there is 16x capturing via moving the sensor half the pixel size in each direction....  ???  :P
« Last Edit: December 05, 2014, 08:55:27 pm by Theodoros »

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2014, 08:59:39 pm »

The rumor blogger doesn't understand the tech, probably, but that doesn't mean the guys who make the thing don't.

Also, there's a lot one can do if one can quickly acquire multiple slightly shifted images. Think superresolution. Notice that the stabilizer can also move in the z direction - that could also be useful to do tilt in camera.

Edmund

PS. Anyway, the pig did fly :)

Dream on...  :D Pigs can fly too... "An anonymous source told me"? ....MS without piezzo mechanism to move the sensor? ...sure thing!  ::)

There are a number of reasons why this "rumour" is pure web trolling Ed... 1. It is so obvious that there is no source for it... 2. The "author" doesn't know what he is talking about or what MS is... why? (you may ask...) ...Simply because A. there can't be a 48mp "true colour" outcome out of a 16mp sensor (3x), it's either 1x=16mp, or 4x=64mp ...no matter how many samples are captured. B. Because 8x is total nonsense... (especially if one uses Hasselblad's modern method to conclude the "outcome") since there is no different sensor positioning in the last two takes (7&8 ), than the previous two (5&6) ones.... C. Because the "article" obviously ignores that Hasselblad's method is interpolating the true colour result of 4x (which is captured first) to quadrable resolution... True colour capturing and quadrupling the resolution without interpolation involved, can only be achieved if there is 16x capturing via moving the sensor half the pixel size in each direction....  ???  :P
« Last Edit: December 05, 2014, 09:03:29 pm by eronald »
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

Theodoros

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2014, 09:12:56 pm »

The rumor blogger doesn't understand the tech, probably, but that doesn't mean the guys who make the thing don't.

Also, there's a lot one can do if one can quickly acquire multiple slightly shifted images. Think superresolution. Notice that the stabilizer can also move in the z direction - that could also be useful to do tilt in camera.

Edmund

Soooo... we should expect DOF to be expanded too ...no? ...LOL!  :'(   Can image stabilisation "control" accurately half a pixel's move (especially at that size of a pixel) Ed? ...if it could... there wouldn't be a benefit of 3 stops in stabilising... it would be unlimited... people would be able to shoot handheld for ...hours!  ;D

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2014, 09:35:01 pm »

Hi,

The FT5-e-m5-sucessor would be 4/3 camera I guess…

Getting back to the issue, Sony is working on that technology for sure, but more oriented to phonecams, right now:
http://image-sensors-world.blogspot.se/2014/11/active-pixel-color-sampling-story-goes.html

It's worth noting that the sensor described in the above article makes just three exposures, but support for those exposures is integrated on the sensor as three different storage areas for electron charges.

The on sensor image stabilisation systems are indeed capable of subpixel movements. Pentax employs that technology as a variable OLP filter on one of their latest models.

I would guess that we see "single exposure multishot" in a future not so far away, but it will probably take a while before we see that technology on full frame sensors, I guess.

Doing the Hasselblad trick of 16X MS may not work if fill factor is high (using microlenses).

Best regards
Erik

Edmund
Erik Kaffehr

250swb

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2014, 04:55:38 am »

Well there's one thing I've learned so far from the various camera 'Rumor' (Rumour in English) sites, and that is they are most often right, or at least right enough in anticipating the end result if not the exact method of implementation.

They don't survive on made up information regarding the principle of what is being 'rumored', and they don't survive on giving away names of informants. If they did either of those things they wouldn't be around very long. And let's not forget that unsolicited leaks are a way for businesses to announce the direction of their ambitions before they have the entire project nailed down. Rumors are a way for both business and government to manipulate real information without giving away out and out secrets, so some sophistication should be used in interpreting them, don't focus on the exact detail, focus on the principle.

Steve
« Last Edit: December 06, 2014, 04:57:51 am by 250swb »

Theodoros

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2014, 06:02:17 am »

Even if the author doesn't understand how quadrupled files are created by 6x (Hasslblad) or 16x (Zinar) methods, he clearly states that he comfirmed the rumour as the camera being able to make up to 8 moves and producing files up to ...40 (2.5x)mp out of a 16mp sensor.... (which is not feasible). 

I guess Sony's method of moving the BP with respect to the sensor is totally irrelevant with using the image stabiliser (which Sony also uses) to replace a piezoelectric crystal as the article "confirms" will happen with Olympus... Sony's method is only aiming in producing "true colour" info for each pixel, it can't increase captured resolution as such.

By the way, Sony's method of using a 3x capture by only shifting the BP as to have all R,G&B info captured for each pixel, is both feasible and extremely beneficial to pros (or other advanced photographers) and if applied to their A7 series of cameras with advanced LV abilities, in combination with a Cambo Actus, or Arca Universalis, or other, it could completely wipe the view & tech camera market out...
« Last Edit: December 06, 2014, 06:03:54 am by Theodoros »
Pages: [1]   Go Up