Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Nikon D810 for Video  (Read 7119 times)

Colorado David

Nikon D810 for Video
« on: December 05, 2014, 12:36:54 pm »

I'd like to hear from anyone who is shooting a lot of video with the D810.  A lot of my business is video and I'm considering the D810 before the end of the year.  I have the D800 and have shot some video with it, but not a lot.  I'm generally pleased with the results, but have a hard time overcoming my years of using dedicated video equipment.  I really like some of what I see shot with the DSLRs.

Gulag

Re: Nikon D810 for Video
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2014, 04:49:01 pm »

Sony A7s is much better than D810 for video production.
"Photography is our exorcism. Primitive society had its masks, bourgeois society its mirrors. We have our images."

— Jean Baudrillard

langier

• Celebrating Rural America, the Balkans and beyond
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2014, 05:42:28 pm »

I've done a little video with my D800 and the quality seems fine, even the sound from the built-in mic when I didn't have my external with me. I've used it up to ISO 1600-3200 and I was quite please with the clean 1080p from it.

Though the Sony has a lot going for it, if you are in the Nikon system and have the glass, I'd stick with the system and not reinvent the wheel as far as learning a new system.
Larry Angier
ASMP, ACT, & many more! @sacred_icons
https://angier-fox.photoshelter.com

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2014, 09:29:06 pm »

The d810 has a bit cleaner video than the d800e i had and it has 60FPS 1080p
But i am not a video guy- it is good enough for me...( i find good sound more important so i use external mics)
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

Colorado David

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2014, 10:52:57 pm »

I'm pretty deep in Nikon glass so going to the Sony is not a real option.  I have all the appropriate audio gear, so that is not an issue.

deejjjaaaa

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2014, 11:01:49 pm »

I'm pretty deep in Nikon glass so going to the Sony is not a real option.  
you can mount your Nikon dSLR glass on Sony... it is not like you are using any kind of AF for video or is it ? AF during video on Nikon ? ... and if you have all the Nikon glass ($$$$$) then what is the cost of A7s for you ? one small peanut... consider it as a rear cap for a good N lens.

Colorado David

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2014, 11:09:48 pm »

Any D810 users shooting video?  Thanks.

bcooter

Colorado David

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2014, 12:20:19 pm »

Thank you.  Very interesting link.  I used to get email alerts for nofilmschool, but haven't for a while.  I'll have to look into that.

Niels_Patrick

• GEISSELBRECHT PHOTOGRAPHY
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2015, 12:10:23 pm »

http://geisselbrecht.biz/

D800 and D810 footage.
If you want to invest in the future. 4K. Panasonic gh4 is the way to go an a small budget. You can still use your nikon lenses. Keep the d810 for making of video and of course still photography.

Thats my next steps I do.

Niels_Patrick

• GEISSELBRECHT PHOTOGRAPHY
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2015, 11:22:09 am »

I really like the new d810 flat profile - looks more cinematic to me. Specially with prime lenses.

__

www.geisselbrecht.biz

Alistair

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2015, 11:30:47 pm »

http://geisselbrecht.biz/

D800 and D810 footage.
If you want to invest in the future. 4K. Panasonic gh4 is the way to go an a small budget. You can still use your nikon lenses. Keep the d810 for making of video and of course still photography.

Thats my next steps I do.

yes, +1 for 4k. I would not buy video gear today without this. Michael's latest review on this site of the 2 vid cameras gives good reasons for this which in my view are spot on.
Alistair

maddogmurph

• Maddog's Photography
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2015, 02:33:04 pm »

yes, +1 for 4k. I would not buy video gear today without this. Michael's latest review on this site of the 2 vid cameras gives good reasons for this which in my view are spot on.
+1 - If I was doing video I'd go 4k no question because of crop ability based mostly on Michael's review.  It's the same reason I moved from the Fuji to the d810 for stills.  The Fuji is amazing if you nail the composition every time, but if you want to crop something you're stuck.  That being said, video on my d810 is superb, the best 1080 I've been on.  Handles low light & DOF well.  I hear sound isn't so great but you can fix that with aftermarket.  ... my droid turbo shoots 4k out of my pocket.
Maddog Murph
www.depictionsofbeauty.com
Mostly here for constructive feedback.
Pages: [1]   Go Up