Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Workflow change from Cr2s to Dngs with camera profiles.  (Read 3076 times)

Onslow

Workflow change from Cr2s to Dngs with camera profiles.
« on: December 02, 2014, 06:18:26 pm »

Morning All,
I have finally decided to take the plunge and start copying and backing up my 5Dmk2  and 50D files as Dngs now instead of raws. I have had several minor issues with my previous workflow that bugged me and that prompted this.
Now I've decided to take the plunge, I have some questions I hope someone can assist me with.

1)  I had the option set to automatically write changes into xmps. For Dngs, is this not applicable now? I gather that all the metadata changes are written into the dng automatically. The xmp is only for the unconverted raws, not the dngs. Am I correct here?

2) To embed my colour passport profiles into each dng, I need to no longer right click Save Metadata to files but now need to Right Click Update DNG Previews and Metadata. Am I correct here? This is important for me as with some of my older raws, I have lost the profiles that were generated for the shoot and the raws defaulted to Adobe Standard instead. Embedding the profiles should stop this.

3) Validating the Dngs. With some of my raws I have discovered some data rot. It's proven difficult for me to detect this properly. How does the Library/ Validate DNG Files work and is it reliable in detecting rot? CRCs or some other method of checksuming on the file?

4) I have built a Dual Illumant profile for my Mk2. I shoot a lot in the studio. I have seen Jeff suggest use one profile instead of individual profiles each shoot. I have used the one profile for quite a while now. As part of this change in my workflow, I was wondering if camera sensors "drift" as a monitors calibration do? If so, a new profile and just embedding it in the Dng is no big drama.
Cheers

Onslow

deejjjaaaa

Re: Workflow change from Cr2s to Dngs with camera profiles.
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2014, 06:47:12 pm »

I was wondering if camera sensors "drift" as a monitors calibration do?
your light(s) in studio probably drift more between 2 sequential shots ;) than CFA transmission characteristics in a lifetime of your cameras.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2014, 07:56:37 pm »

I keep auto write on with DNG’s and there’s also the Update DNG Preview and Metadata command.

#3: http://dpbestflow.org/data-validation/dng-validation
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Denis de Gannes

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2014, 08:20:04 pm »

Morning All,
I have finally decided to take the plunge and start copying and backing up my 5Dmk2  and 50D files as Dngs now instead of raws. I have had several minor issues with my previous workflow that bugged me and that prompted this.
Now I've decided to take the plunge, I have some questions I hope someone can assist me with.

1)  I had the option set to automatically write changes into xmps. For Dngs, is this not applicable now? I gather that all the metadata changes are written into the dng automatically. The xmp is only for the unconverted raws, not the dngs. Am I correct here?

No if you wish the xmp data written to the DNG file you need to keep it selected. Lightroom by default only writes the data to the Lightroom Catalog.

2) To embed my colour passport profiles into each dng, I need to no longer right click Save Metadata to files but now need to Right Click Update DNG Previews and Metadata. Am I correct here? This is important for me as with some of my older raws, I have lost the profiles that were generated for the shoot and the raws defaulted to Adobe Standard instead. Embedding the profiles should stop this.

3) Validating the Dngs. With some of my raws I have discovered some data rot. It's proven difficult for me to detect this properly. How does the Library/ Validate DNG Files work and is it reliable in detecting rot? CRCs or some other method of checksuming on the file?

4) I have built a Dual Illumant profile for my Mk2. I shoot a lot in the studio. I have seen Jeff suggest use one profile instead of individual profiles each shoot. I have used the one profile for quite a while now. As part of this change in my workflow, I was wondering if camera sensors "drift" as a monitors calibration do? If so, a new profile and just embedding it in the Dng is no big drama.

I do not use the option to convert the original files to DNG so I have no idea what the answer to the other questions are.

Just by default Lightroom reads and writes only to the Catalog file.

The Lightroom concept is "The info is in the Catalog"
When your are working with Adobe camera Raw "The info is in the file" .xmp files are necessary. ACR cannot read the info from the Lightroom Catalog.

When you are working with Lightroom and you need the info in the file you need to have the option to save the xmp automatically or use the manual option to save the data to the file.

To wit if you are working with your raw files in Lightroom latest version then .xmp and DNG are irevelant unless you need Adobe Camera Raw in Photoshop to read your Lightroom edits.

I use Lightroom as my default program for processing my raw files and I do not use .xmp or .dng period.
I do not need .xmp because all the info is in the Catalog and I do not need DNG because as far as I am concerned its just a crutch to enable outdated versions of Adobe Camera Raw to process raw files from unsupported camera models.  
« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 08:49:03 pm by Denis de Gannes »
Equip: iMac (Ret. 5K,27"Mid 2015),macOS 10.15.6

Onslow

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2014, 10:07:26 pm »

I keep auto write on with DNG’s and there’s also the Update DNG Preview and Metadata command.

#3: http://dpbestflow.org/data-validation/dng-validation

Thanks for the response. So, if I understand you correctly, the auto write metadata to xmp checkbox also triggers auto write metadata to the dng?

I do not use the option to convert the original files to DNG so I have no idea what the answer to the other questions are.

Just by default Lightroom reads and writes only to the Catalog file.

The Lightroom concept is "The info is in the Catalog"
When your are working with Adobe camera Raw "The info is in the file" .xmp files are necessary. ACR cannot read the info from the Lightroom Catalog.

When you are working with Lightroom and you need the info in the file you need to have the option to save the xmp automatically or use the manual option to save the data to the file.

To wit if you are working with your raw files in Lightroom latest version then .xmp and DNG are irevelant unless you need Adobe Camera Raw in Photoshop to read your Lightroom edits.

I use Lightroom as my default program for processing my raw files and I do not use .xmp or .dng period.
I do not need .xmp because all the info is in the Catalog and I do not need DNG because as far as I am concerned its just a crutch to enable outdated versions of Adobe Camera Raw to process raw files from unsupported camera models. 

Thanks for your reply. :) I understand the LR changes are normally within the catalog. I'm trying to clarify that the metadata changes are written automatically as well to the dng via selecting the checkbox from writing to the xmp. :)
I am attempting to ensure that even if the catalogs are damaged and irrecoverable in the backups, I have the changes saved into the dngs. Hence the desire to also have the data validation ability. Something xmps don't have iirc. I'm also trying to ensure the camera profiles don't get lost by storing them in the dng.

your light(s) in studio probably drift more between 2 sequential shots ;) than CFA transmission characteristics in a lifetime of your cameras.

Thanks for your reply. Uhm, I have no idea about this at all. Hence my question. :) Are there more than the filter transmission characteristics to worry about? The sensor electronics.. ? I don't know.
Cheers

Onslow

Denis de Gannes

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2014, 06:30:44 am »

Equip: iMac (Ret. 5K,27"Mid 2015),macOS 10.15.6

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2014, 01:06:25 pm »

I'm also trying to ensure the camera profiles don't get lost by storing them in the dng.
They should be embedded into the DNG so no worries there.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Onslow

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2014, 09:21:06 am »

Cheers

Onslow
Pages: [1]   Go Up