Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 56   Go Down

Author Topic: Fun with medium format images  (Read 306804 times)

Dave Gurtcheff

Re: Fun with medium format (Artsy thread)
« Reply #40 on: December 02, 2014, 03:59:06 pm »

Pentax 645 film camera, May 1995. Color negative film, probably Kodak Ektacolor Commercial. Original prints were 16"x20" Type C prints I made in my home darkroom. Later prints are digital prints made from the scanned negatives. The digital prints allowed me to remove some distracting overhead phone/electrical wires. I used Cokin graduated tobacco and graduated fog filters in camera, way before digital manipulation.
Thanks for looking
Dave

IanB

« Reply #41 on: December 03, 2014, 11:02:56 am »

Cartesian coordinates are named after René Descartes.

As is Cartesian Doubt - I still suffer from it occasionally...

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #42 on: December 03, 2014, 11:25:29 am »

As is Cartesian Doubt - I still suffer from it occasionally...
As in, "I think I think, therefore I think I am?"
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Jim Kasson

• The Last Word
« Reply #43 on: December 03, 2014, 01:03:21 pm »

Cartesian coordinates are named after René Descartes.

Spherical coordinates are named after Alessandro Spherikos, the famous Greek mathematician.  Cylindrical coordinates are named after Benedetto Cylindrica, the Italian astronomer. And Polar coordinates? It took a whole country to come up with that.

Jim

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #44 on: December 03, 2014, 01:17:17 pm »

Spherical coordinates are named after Alessandro Spherikos, the famous Greek mathematician.  Cylindrical coordinates are named after Benedetto Cylindrica, the Italian astronomer. And Polar coordinates? It took a whole country to come up with that.

There you go! Only three pages, and geeks managed to highjack a thread about FUN (with photography) with FACTS (about science)! ;D

Jim Kasson

• The Last Word
« Reply #45 on: December 03, 2014, 01:50:59 pm »

There you go! Only three pages, and geeks managed to highjack a thread about FUN (with photography) with FACTS (about science)! ;D

Uh, actually, my post was completely fact-free.

Jim

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #46 on: December 03, 2014, 02:00:59 pm »

Uh, actually, my post was completely fact-free.

Even worse... FALSE facts!  ;)

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #47 on: December 03, 2014, 04:25:02 pm »

Just to get back to images :-)

This is from Brahe Hus, Gränna, Sweden. P45+ Distagon 40

Best regards
Erik
Erik Kaffehr

Dave Gurtcheff

« Reply #48 on: December 03, 2014, 04:45:11 pm »

Pentax 645D, 35mm lens, monopod
Dave in NJ

ondebanks

« Reply #49 on: December 03, 2014, 07:44:00 pm »

Just to get back to images :-)

This is from Brahe Hus, Gränna, Sweden. P45+ Distagon 40

Best regards
Erik

Anything to do with Tycho Brahe, the greatest pre-telescopic astronomer? [Whoops, more geekery  :D]

Ray

ondebanks

« Reply #50 on: December 03, 2014, 07:46:37 pm »

The Causeway Shack on the way to Long Beach Island had long been an Icon. It slowly disintegrated, and Hurricane Sandy finished it off. I photographed it  all throughout the years. I went through some of my old negatives and re-visited them. Some had boring skies, and I never printed them in my chemical color darkroom. The foregrounds were made with a Pentax 645 film camera and color negative film. The skies are more recent, and made with a Pentax 645D. I scanned the color negatives, and combined them with the 645D skies. The flight of geese was also added. I drew them with pencil on a piece of paper, scanned them, and used them for a bit of nostalgia.
Thanks for looking
Dave in NJ

Fantastic series of photos, Dave. If you hadn't pointed out that they were digitally composited, we'd never have guessed.

Your earlier one - that one of the bay, handheld in near-hurricane force winds - is that also a composite? The rain is windblown left-to-right, while the flag and waves seem to be windblown right-to-left.

Ray

ondebanks

« Reply #51 on: December 03, 2014, 07:50:29 pm »

Take my advice to survive forums one must learn sometimes to just change the channel and look for another thread that appeals to you more.

Exactly. Now if everyone just followed your excellent advice, all that recent kerfuffle about tech sub-forums would never even have arisen!

Ray

PS Hope your wife is doing ok...hard to believe it's 5 years already since you first let us know about that sad development.

Dave Gurtcheff

« Reply #52 on: December 03, 2014, 10:33:59 pm »

Fantastic series of photos, Dave. If you hadn't pointed out that they were digitally composited, we'd never have guessed.

Your earlier one - that one of the bay, handheld in near-hurricane force winds - is that also a composite? The rain is windblown left-to-right, while the flag and waves seem to be windblown right-to-left.

Ray
Yes, Ray, it is a composite. Bit of a dilemma . Polly's Dock, one of my favorite spots to photograph here is on the bay, in a cove, so the wind swirls. That day, the bay looked like the ocean with the big waves. The gulls always face into the wind, for a quick take off. But the composition begged for left to right rain, which I accentuated . It was raining, and blowing, but actually I do not recall exactly where from. The background sky was also added. It was taken in the same or close to the same spot, on a different day. I collect skies, and catalogue time of year, time of day, and direction, so they match. I actually did the same with my darkroom, but, albeit much more difficult, as it involved making foreground and background cardboard masks, changing negatives in the enlarger, in the dark via the safelight.
Thanks for your kind words
Dave

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #53 on: December 04, 2014, 12:17:08 am »

Ray,

Unfortunately not really, although I guess Tycho Brahe and Per Brahe may have been relatives.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Per_Brahe_the_Younger

Just to say, the first time have observed "Brahe Hus" I also thought about Tycho Brahe. I guess that name comes easy to mind if one is interested in astronomy. That said, my interest in astronomy has faded a lot.

Just to mention, that HST of yours may or may not count as a medium format camera, but it seems you have taken quite a few nice pictures with it :-)

Best regards
Eik

Anything to do with Tycho Brahe, the greatest pre-telescopic astronomer? [Whoops, more geekery  :D]

Ray
« Last Edit: December 04, 2014, 01:20:22 am by ErikKaffehr »
Erik Kaffehr

Dave Gurtcheff

« Reply #54 on: December 04, 2014, 11:44:25 am »

Another composite. Foreground made with Pentax 645 film camera and color negative film. Sky made with 35mm film camera, and color neg film. Both negatives scanned and digitally composited. The foreground had a boat in the lower left corner, which I thought was distracting, so I removed it. First image is the composite, the second image shows the foreground shot I used for the composite.
Thanks for looking
Dave in NJ

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #55 on: December 04, 2014, 01:58:17 pm »

Hi Dave,

Thanks for sharing. Your work is impressive!

Here is one of mine, a stitched image from "Industrilandskapet" in Norrköping, Sweden.
Best regards
Erik

Original: http://echophoto.smugmug.com/Other/Technical/P45/i-fxNx8zG/O

Another composite. Foreground made with Pentax 645 film camera and color negative film. Sky made with 35mm film camera, and color neg film. Both negatives scanned and digitally composited. The foreground had a boat in the lower left corner, which I thought was distracting, so I removed it. First image is the composite, the second image shows the foreground shot I used for the composite.
Thanks for looking
Dave in NJ
« Last Edit: December 05, 2014, 01:49:05 am by ErikKaffehr »
Erik Kaffehr

Dave Gurtcheff

« Reply #56 on: December 04, 2014, 02:36:58 pm »

Nice Erik. Could you share what software you used to stitch? Did you use a "nodal" point slide plate of some kind? I have hesitated to try stitching, as I have no adapter. When I tried it by just taking two over lapping frames, ignoring nodal point, it was not successful.
Thanks for sharing
Dave

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #57 on: December 04, 2014, 11:01:53 pm »

Hi Dave,

It depends on the subject. I have a nodal slider (like the one below) but don't use it very often. It is needed if there are things in the foreground, but I seldom have problems with that.

Most of my stuff are not panoramas but more like extended images, which just need small movements, what I would call "uncropping". Do it often on the Hasselblad. One reason I do it may be that the viewfinder mask (from 56x56 mm to 49x37 mm) shows essentially four different crops (horisontal, vertical,56x56 and 37x37), that gives you ideas. The other factor is that I only have primes, so I use stitching instead of zooming.

The tripod head I use is the Arca-Swiss D4, with a levelling plate on the tripod. The D4 has rotation both at base and top. So I level the head and use rotation at the base. That rotation works well with camera tilted up or down.

Most of the stitching I do in Photoshop directly from Lightroom, select the images -> edit -> merge to panorama in Photoshop. That works well in simple cases.
For more complex work I use Autopano Pro.

The one below was probably shot on 50 mm, and it is composed of two exposures, with the second one containing a lot of sky. The stitching line was along the roofs of the buildings. Here I essentially composed for the buildings and the trees, but I realised the sky is really nice and made another exposure to include it. No nodal slide needed. Stitched in Photoshop

This one was a composite of three vertical exposures, intended to get a wider angle, moving backwards would change the composition. I don't know if I used my nodal slide. This image was most about getting the tree in the background inside the image. Foreground was not very critical. Stitched in Photoshop ( I guess).

The one below was just a cropped down image (I just found out) I also have a stitched version. It is shown as an attachment below. That image was probably stitched in AutopanoPro.

This one was also stitched, two horizontal images, the second one including the upper part of the boat. In this case I only needed the top part of mast and that would be an easy stitch in any program.

Best regards
Erik
Nice Erik. Could you share what software you used to stitch? Did you use a "nodal" point slide plate of some kind? I have hesitated to try stitching, as I have no adapter. When I tried it by just taking two over lapping frames, ignoring nodal point, it was not successful.
Thanks for sharing
Dave
« Last Edit: December 05, 2014, 12:01:22 am by ErikKaffehr »
Erik Kaffehr

leeonmaui

« Reply #58 on: December 04, 2014, 11:54:23 pm »

I normally don't do black and white images
So when I did this piece for my gallery I wanted to do something a little different
I used nil software silver light and the Ilford toning preset.
I am really pleased with the exposure of this piece and the dynamic range.

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #59 on: December 05, 2014, 12:18:24 am »

Nice image. Nice pristine industry-architectural scene that shows us what buildings looked like before people invaded and took over :)

Edmund

Here is one of mine, a stitched image from "Industrilandskapet" in Norrköping, Sweden.
Best regards
Erik

Original: http://echophoto.smugmug.com/Other/Technical/P45/i-fxNx8zG/O

If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 56   Go Up