Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 56   Go Down

Author Topic: Fun with medium format images  (Read 306800 times)

Neil Williams

• Neil's Photography
Re: Fun with medium format images
« Reply #580 on: January 04, 2018, 02:25:12 pm »

Chamonix 4x5 with Ilford delta

Mods please remove if I have this in the wrong section

Neil

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #581 on: January 04, 2018, 04:58:39 pm »

That was a nice one!

BR
Erik

Leica S007 converted to B&W in PScc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Erik Kaffehr

stevenfr

• Steven Friedman Landscape Photography
« Reply #582 on: January 04, 2018, 05:11:13 pm »

Early Winter Snow taken last autumn with a Phase One XF IQ3100 camera.

Steven

http://www.friedmanphoto.com

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #583 on: January 05, 2018, 09:09:19 am »

H6D-100c

Cheers,
Bernard

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #584 on: January 05, 2018, 11:01:54 am »

Hi Bernard,

Another nice image. To be honest, I actually like your Nikon images a bit more...

When I was shooting MFD I made a lot of nice images, but very few of them made it to the wall.

Best regards
Erik

H6D-100c

Cheers,
Bernard
Erik Kaffehr

TimoK

« Reply #585 on: January 05, 2018, 12:22:52 pm »

Hi Bernard,

When I was shooting MFD I made a lot of nice images, but very few of them made it to the wall.

Best regards
Erik
Is it up to Your's?
I'd put this Bernard's mastershot on my wall.

Neil Williams

• Neil's Photography
« Reply #586 on: January 05, 2018, 12:35:59 pm »

Hoi An Central Vietnam Leica S007

Neil

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #587 on: January 05, 2018, 02:10:42 pm »

No, it is not up to me. But, I would be interested in Bernard's take on this.

To put things in perspective, I have been shooting MFD (Phase One P45+ in my case) but I found that the P45+ images did not make it to the wall.

Best regards
Erik

Is it up to Your's?
I'd put this Bernard's mastershot on my wall.
Erik Kaffehr

TimoK

« Reply #588 on: January 05, 2018, 04:15:19 pm »

No, it is not up to me. But, I would be interested in Bernard's take on this.
Yes, I too am interested in Bernard's opinion.

To put things in perspective, I have been shooting MFD (Phase One P45+ in my case) but I found that the P45+ images did not make it to the wall.

Best regards
Erik

To put things in the right perspective, I have not been shooting with MFD. (I'm shooting with Canon today)
I'm sorry about meddling in this, but it came a deja vú when reading Your statement MFD pictures not being worth of hanging on the wall.
It happend to me 30+ years ago. I was shooting landscapes with Pentax 67 (on film). I was fortunated enough to get some quite acceptable shots.
All the time I dreamed of a large format camera to get better pictures. At last I got it, a 4x5" view camera.
It was a great disappointment. I did not get better but worse pictures with that new fine and expensive camera.
I missed situations because I was not ready to shoot in time, I misfocused, shaked the camera, over or under exposured ... not to tell about tilting and swinging ...
I simply did not master the new tool. I got nothing to put on the wall. But that's me, sorry.
When looking at Bernard's pictures I feel he's mastering his MFD.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #589 on: January 05, 2018, 04:56:52 pm »

Hi Timo,

I had no technical problems with my MFD images. When I bought into MFD, my P45+ actually had some benefits in resolution. But, I am normally printing at 16"x23" and at that size the advantages of the P45+ did not really come into play.

What I think may have happened was perhaps that I had to much focus on technique with the P45+, while with the Sony A99 I more focused on the creative part.

Another part of the story may have been that the Sony I have mostly used with zooms. You find a viewpoint, get a framing and you shoot it. With fixed focals you need to make the best you can of any vantage point. Using primes may be an artistic challenge, but it is quite possible that zooms yield the best crops.

Things like this are worth a bit of discussion.

I have seen a lot of great images from Bernard. I admire most of his images. But, I feel that his MFD images are constricted in some sense. They can be very good. I can't really explain it... But, I have seen this with my own MFD images, they can be very good but they may lack something.

Best regards
Erik

I'm sorry about meddling in this, but it came a deja vú when reading Your statement MFD pictures not being worth of hanging on the wall.
It happend to me 30+ years ago. I was shooting landscapes with Pentax 67 (on film). I was fortunated enough to get some quite acceptable shots.
All the time I dreamed of a large format camera to get better pictures. At last I got it, a 4x5" view camera.
It was a great disappointment. I did not get better but worse pictures with that new fine and expensive camera.
I missed situations because I was not ready to shoot in time, I misfocused, shaked the camera, over or under exposured ... not to tell about tilting and swinging ...
I simply did not master the new tool. I got nothing to put on the wall. But that's me, sorry.
When looking at Bernard's pictures I feel he's mastering his MFD.
Erik Kaffehr

TimoK

« Reply #590 on: January 05, 2018, 06:22:39 pm »

Hi Timo,

I had no technical problems with my MFD images. When I bought into MFD, my P45+ actually had some benefits in resolution. But, I am normally printing at 16"x23" and at that size the advantages of the P45+ did not really come into play.

Best regards
Erik
Hi Erik,
tecnical problems are always there. But in my last message I naturally simplyfied them. (I later learnt to use 4x5" view camera).

What I think may have happened was perhaps that I had to much focus on technique with the P45+, while with the Sony A99 I more focused on the creative part.

Another part of the story may have been that the Sony I have mostly used with zooms. You find a viewpoint, get a framing and you shoot it. With fixed focals you need to make the best you can of any vantage point. Using primes may be an artistic challenge, but it is quite possible that zooms yield the best crops.

And this I (partially) agree. If the camera is so hard to use that it takes your focus to manage it, you are loosing the scene you are taking the photo. The picture should be more important than the tool to make it. Learning to use your tools, using them so much, the routine, helps you to miss the tools and concentrate to the subject. In landscape photography I'm often in hurry. When I see something in landscape worth of shooting, it's something soon disappearing, most often the special ligth or some weather conditions, clouds etc. I have to work quickly or it's too late. The point and shoot camera with zoom is ideal in landscape work!
And with zooms I (partially) disagree. Because the field of view is also an important artistical choice. You can think there is one, the best viewpoint in this scene where you should put your lens and then you crop the best part of the scene into your picture. We have seen that kind of photography here and everywhere in internet.
You also can think that there is some kind of perspective you want to exist in your picture. You need some kind special prime to get that wanted perspective. And then you have to find the best viewpoint with that lens to make the best crop with the best perspective.
I think things like this are worth of discussion.

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #591 on: January 05, 2018, 11:37:32 pm »

I feel pretty comfortable with the H6D-100c I believe.

One very weird and annoying bug preventing usage of the release cable with some lenses pisses me off a bit, but overall things are pretty good.

One problem in cold weather is that the back needs its touch screen which is a problem with my current gloves.

Cheers,
Bernard

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
« Reply #592 on: January 08, 2018, 08:46:55 am »

I feel pretty comfortable with the H6D-100c I believe.

One very weird and annoying bug preventing usage of the release cable with some lenses pisses me off a bit, but overall things are pretty good.

One problem in cold weather is that the back needs its touch screen which is a problem with my current gloves.

Cheers,
Bernard

Hi Bernard,

I had a  similar glove issue. I now use silk liners with touch enable finger tips under woolen mittens. The mittens allow a fold back to expose fingers or in my case, I poke one finger through the slot...

Oh so comfortable now.

Peter

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #593 on: January 08, 2018, 06:56:35 pm »

I had a  similar glove issue. I now use silk liners with touch enable finger tips under woolen mittens. The mittens allow a fold back to expose fingers or in my case, I poke one finger through the slot...

Thanks a lot Peter!

I just discovered that I do own a pair of liners from Black Diamond that work with a touch screen!

Cheers,
Bernard

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #594 on: January 08, 2018, 06:57:03 pm »

H6D-100c

Cheers,
Bernard

stevenfr

« Reply #595 on: January 08, 2018, 07:08:22 pm »

From my shoot this autumn. Camera Phase One XF IQ3 100.

Steven
« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 07:12:40 pm by stevenfr »

stevenfr

« Reply #596 on: January 10, 2018, 04:47:37 pm »

Camera Phase One XF IQ3 100.

Steven

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #597 on: January 11, 2018, 02:24:51 am »

H6D-100c

Cheers,
Bernard

NancyP

« Reply #598 on: January 11, 2018, 03:41:32 pm »

Bernard and Steven - really nice B&W (especially the second snow/ice/water/tree image) and color respectively! Thanks

Rob C

« Reply #599 on: January 11, 2018, 04:36:09 pm »

Thanks a lot Peter!

I just discovered that I do own a pair of liners from Black Diamond that work with a touch screen!

Cheers,
Bernard

Bernard, Bernard, it's natures little way of telling you it's more comfortable inside. Just feel lucky you
don't have to cope with the sly tricks of Raynaud's bloody syndrome: shame he didn't keep it to himself!

:-)
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 56   Go Up