Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: C1 8 - Layer Order?  (Read 2460 times)

gebseng

C1 8 - Layer Order?
« on: November 27, 2014, 03:54:51 am »

Hi everyone,

I have a tricky problem:

STEP ONE: In C1v8, I added a new layer to a Leaf .IIQ raw file do do some heavy color correction (neutralizing a severe local pink color cast) with the Advand Color Editor tool. That worked fine.

STEP TWO: Next I wanted add a yellowish cast to this now almost neutral-gray layer. That's when things started to get complicated.

- first try: I tried the White Balance tool in the same layer. That did not work, because changing the white balance would also influence the advanced color edits

- second try: I made a new layer, copied the mask from the "C" layer and tried the White Balance tool. But, independent of the layer order (the "White Balance" layer being above or below the "Advanced Color Editor" layer, C1 always seems to apply white balance before Color Edits. So, no success here too.

- third try: I found a workaround: I exported the file, with the Advand Color Edit applied, as a 16bit TIFF. I then re-imported the TIFF into C1, copied the local adjustment from the RAW to the TIFF file, reset the Advand Color Edit, and then applied the White Balance to the same layer/mask. That worked fine, but seems unnecessarily complicated (since I have to repeat these steps with numerous files)

Of course, I could easily do the minor local white balance (STEP ONE) in Photoshop after exporting from C1, but then I would have to redraw the local mask, since I see no way of exporting the alpha channel data from C1.

And no, I was not able to achieve the yellowish cast using the Hue Rotation slider in the Advanced Color Editor...

I am grateful for any suggestions or ideas (I also can provide the file if you PM me)

thanks,

geb

brntoki

Re: C1 8 - Layer Order?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2014, 11:18:03 am »

A guess off the top o'me-head, why not do your first local adjustment by neutralizing the pink hue with the white balance, and then coloring on top of that with another layer???

I'll admit, I'm not sure that'll work, because with my fairly limited work with the advanced color editing tool in C1, it doesn't seem to allow you to actually pick a neutral color and color it, which sort of makes sense.

Oh! Wait! It looks like the Color Balance tool will work on layers. Add it to your layers tools and give that a shot.

brntoki

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2014, 11:24:51 am »

Looks like I spoke too soon. The Color Balance tool doesn't respect masks.

gebseng

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2014, 04:59:16 pm »

Thanks brntoki for trying!

best,

geb

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2014, 05:10:29 pm »

A guess off the top o'me-head, why not do your first local adjustment by neutralizing the pink hue with the white balance, and then coloring on top of that with another layer???

I'll admit, I'm not sure that'll work, because with my fairly limited work with the advanced color editing tool in C1, it doesn't seem to allow you to actually pick a neutral color and color it, which sort of makes sense.

Oh! Wait! It looks like the Color Balance tool will work on layers. Add it to your layers tools and give that a shot.

The color balance tool works fine in masks, however you can't overlap masks or a place a gradient over an existing mask and make a color selection of a similar color.  If you do then the 2nd sampling will look wrong, to bright and off hue.

I personally use the color balance tool quite a bit with C1 in layers/masks, but you have to be careful not to overlap a selection mask with a previous one.  If you do and sample in the 2nd mask a similar color, then is when you have problems. 

LR is different there as you can overlap adjustment masks with no problems and overlap WB adjustments and color adjustments.  The color adjustment process to me in LR is much harder to work with than C1's. 

I have opened several tickets with Phase One on the use of overlapping masks and the color bal. tools, but they seem uninterested in a fix or that it's an issue.

Paul
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

brntoki

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2014, 08:23:44 am »

Thanks a lot for chiming in Paul. I'm still relatively new to C1 and am sure I would have run into the issue you've outlined and pulled my hair out if I had any. I had deleted the color balance tool from the layers tab already, but will add it back and see how to use it with masks.

Thanks again!
Pages: [1]   Go Up