Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cleaning Camera Gear  (Read 1581 times)

Andrew David

• My Instagram page
Cleaning Camera Gear
« on: November 26, 2014, 07:30:41 pm »

Hey all!

I've been shooting with my Olympus kit pretty frequently the past two years, and it's all starting to get a little grubby. Not so much the glass of the lenses, that's easily taken care of with a cloth or a Lens Pen, or some lens cleaning fluid for worst case scenarios. It's more the barrels and rings of the lenses, and all the little nooks and crannies around the lenses and bodies, where fingerprint residue, dust and god knows what else is building up. I'm wondering if any of you have some tried and true suggestions for safely cleaning gear to have them looking new, without the risk of damaging anything.

My current kit includes an Olympus E-M5 and E-M1, and the two lenses in desperate need of a clean are the 12-40 f/2.8 and the Panasonic 35-100 f/2.8.

Some Guy

Re: Cleaning Camera Gear
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2014, 08:43:12 pm »

Stiff nylon bristle brush for outside (Keep lens on.) dusting.

I used to use Lemon Pledge for exterior body and lens wipe downs with a microfiber cloth.  For leather, black shoe polish on a Q-tip and buff it out to keep it from staining your fingers later.

Eclipse Fluid for the lenses.  I avoid the water-based alcohol stuff as they streak, especially the sensor.  The Eclipse dries really quick without the streaking.

SG

marcmccalmont

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2014, 06:24:19 am »

I have found Eclipse 1 excellent for the glass and sensors
I soft rag slightly sprayed with WD-40 has worked well on lens and camera bodies with no ill effects
a small soft tooth brush for the nooks and crannies
Marc
Marc McCalmont

mahleu

• 500px
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2014, 09:22:44 am »

An old toothbrush for dust around buttons and narrow gaps, a Q-tip with lighter fluid for any build up of muck. The lighter fluid cuts through grease and evaporates quickly.

dwswager

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2014, 08:21:59 pm »

Hey all!

I've been shooting with my Olympus kit pretty frequently the past two years, and it's all starting to get a little grubby. Not so much the glass of the lenses, that's easily taken care of with a cloth or a Lens Pen, or some lens cleaning fluid for worst case scenarios. It's more the barrels and rings of the lenses, and all the little nooks and crannies around the lenses and bodies, where fingerprint residue, dust and god knows what else is building up. I'm wondering if any of you have some tried and true suggestions for safely cleaning gear to have them looking new, without the risk of damaging anything.

My current kit includes an Olympus E-M5 and E-M1, and the two lenses in desperate need of a clean are the 12-40 f/2.8 and the Panasonic 35-100 f/2.8.

Of course, the best course of action is to clean your gear regularly.  I use a extra soft bristle brush and microfiber cloths (rough textured ones) regularly and store my gear in drawers when not in use.  Then repack the a bag with routine gear as necessary.

With really dirty stuff brush off with the softest brush you can get away with.  Then use disposable dust lifting cloth.  If necessary, a damp (not wet) cloth helps.

On mounts, I typically use a little lens cleaner on a clean cloth.

On lenses, I use a blower first, then use Eclipse fluid on a clean microfiber cloth.

With sensors, I use a blower, then a clean lens brush like the dustoff or sensor brush.  When I get 'welded' on dust, I use a sensor swap and eclipse fluid.

Lens caps on at all times when not in use.  Body caps too.  Be smart swapping lenses. 

NancyP

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2014, 02:40:28 pm »

I got stuck to the knee in bottomlands Mississippi quick-mud once, had to sit down and dig my foot out with right hand, left hand held my DSLR and long lens up and out of mud's way (400 f/5.6, I am no Hercules). I then had to crawl out on my hands and knees using the tripod in its bag as surface area for my hands. &^%%$Z!!! My left hand and the camera/lens body did get "a little" mud on them by the end. Thankfully, the lens cap had been on. I wiped off the soft chunks of mud as best as I could, then  I let everything dry for a day. Then brushed camera body with well-used soft toothbrush, then art brush, then took barely damp cotton tips ("Q-Tip") to remove the rest. River silt is incredibly fine. Everything is fine.

Serious Moral of Story: when walking in bottomlands, use a pole to test mud before stepping on it, even if the mud has clumps of grass dotted about.

"Moral" #2: There's a reason why you always carry giant garbage bags and paper towels in the car. The car upholstery survived due to the use of a garbage bag on the driver's seat.   ;D
Pages: [1]   Go Up