Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Why I don't join the CreativeCloud?  (Read 9259 times)

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
Why I don't join the CreativeCloud?
« on: November 25, 2014, 01:16:45 am »

Adobe doesn't let me install on a case sensitive volume, and doesn't even offer to choose an alternative volume.

No clouds for me.

I have using case sensitive volumes since I had Apple and all applications work except some Adobe stuff. Adobe, how about doing your homework?

Best regards
Erik
Erik Kaffehr

john beardsworth

• My photography site
Re: Why I don't join the CreativeCloud?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2014, 03:08:51 am »

Nowt to do with Creative Cloud. Lightroom has always required Mac's case insensitive default setup, and last time I looked it was properly documented in the system specs.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2014, 03:54:38 am »

I have using case sensitive volumes since I had Apple

Why?

Jeremy

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2014, 08:23:46 am »

A possible solution or two.

Also as Jeremy says, why do you use case sensitive volumes? Do you use some obscure software that foolishly requires it?
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2014, 08:47:45 am »

Also as Jeremy says, why do you use case sensitive volumes?

Why does it matter? Good software can, no, should be able to cope with that, and preferably also offer to install to another location than the system drive.

Cheers,
Bart
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 08:50:18 am by BartvanderWolf »
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Simon Garrett

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2014, 09:28:51 am »

Nowt to do with Creative Cloud. Lightroom has always required Mac's case insensitive default setup, and last time I looked it was properly documented in the system specs.

You mean Macs allow case-sensitive naming?  That's another entry on my why-I-won't-get-a-Mac list. 

Oh, the pain and grief caused by case-sensitive programming languages (unfortunately: most of them) when two names that ought to be the same are different - or two that really are different confusingly look the same!

Paul Gessler

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2014, 09:36:05 am »

I'm not sure about Mac OS, but on my Windows 7/8 systems, the Creative Cloud app allows me to change the location of my installed apps:

This might be a possible workaround for you, in addition to the other suggestions of tricking the installer.

deejjjaaaa

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2014, 09:47:18 am »

Oh, the pain and grief caused by case-sensitive
the only place for case sensitivity is for authentication

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2014, 10:10:53 am »

You mean Macs allow case-sensitive naming?  That's another entry on my why-I-won't-get-a-Mac list.  

Oh, the pain and grief caused by case-sensitive programming languages (unfortunately: most of them) when two names that ought to be the same are different - or two that really are different confusingly look the same!

Yes, a hangover from Unix, but it's not the default OSX installation and the user has to deliberately set it up that way - presumably for a good if obscure reason. If Lr were to run under it, Adobe would have to code for all sorts of oddities - eg should you allow ThisFile.nef to exist in the same folder as thisfile.NEF, and how do you then handle the user moving work to a Windows box?
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 01:48:32 pm by john beardsworth »

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2014, 11:29:35 am »

Why does it matter? Good software can, no, should be able to cope with that,.....
It matters because a case sensitive volume can lead to problems and is maybe why 'good' software avoids letting itself be installed on it.  :P
So what benefits do you accrue from such formatting?

and preferably also offer to install to another location than the system drive.
CC can be installed to a location of your own choosing IIRC.
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2014, 02:38:48 pm »

You mean Macs allow case-sensitive naming?  That's another entry on my why-I-won't-get-a-Mac list. 

Macs allow case-sensitive naming: underneath the prettiness, they're running Unix which has historically had case-sensitive filesystems. However, it's not the default setup and a disk has to be reformatted with that option specifically chosen in order for it to be enabled.

Coincidentally, there has been a discussion on the mailing list of a database application (4th Dimension) that use, in the last week, on exactly this point. 4D won't work on case-sensitive volumes. The consensus among the professional programmers (of whom I am definitely not one) was that the user of a case-sensitive volume was creating a rod for his own back: all pain and no gain.

Jeremy

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2014, 05:31:14 pm »

Hi,

I should mention that I am a Unix junkie, since 1984…

Best regards
Erik

Yes, a hangover from Unix, but it's not the default OSX installation and the user has to deliberately set it up that way - presumably for a good if obscure reason. If Lr were to run under it, Adobe would have to code for all sorts of oddities - eg should you allow ThisFile.nef to exist in the same folder as thisfile.NEF, and how do you then handle the user moving work to a Windows box?
Erik Kaffehr

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2014, 06:04:36 pm »

I wont join either. Your reasons may vary. I will force learning a new application before I join.
If you buy a camera, you're a photographer...

PhotoEcosse

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2014, 05:26:58 am »

I hqave a different reason for not "joining".

I use Photoshop CS6 (or, should I say I use about 5% of it) and Lightroom. For as long as CS6 continues to hugely exceed my requirements and Lightroom continues to be available on a perpetual licence, I see no imperative to change to CC.

However, for anyone starting photo-processing from scratch (as many new members of our camera club are), then Adobe CC at £8.98 per month is really the only sane option and I heartily recommend it to them.
"Reality is an illusion caused by lack of alcohol."
Alternatively, "Life begins at the far end of your comfort zone."

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2014, 07:40:36 am »

for anyone starting photo-processing from scratch then Adobe CC at £8.98 per month is really the only sane option
Really ? Elements probably does everything most beginners need without any ongoing financial commitment. Plus there are other cheap editors like Photoline, The Gimp, PhotoPlus, Irfan view, Paint.net, Paint Shop Pro that cost very little or are free.

When you admit you only use 5% of a program it seems odd to recommend it to beginners who are likely to need even fewer facilities.
Let's not mention the intimidating interface and learning curve in becoming proficient with PS.

AFairley

« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2014, 10:42:36 am »

After realizing that the only real benefit CC has for me over CS6 is the more sophisticated sharpening and that I haven't even brought an image into CC from my perpetual license copy of LR in months anyway, I am going to abandon my CC membership....

Robert55

« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2014, 03:47:28 pm »

Funny how many have not read the opening post [and its refutation, it seems that its not something special to CC] and just tag along putting up statements they have probably made before

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2014, 04:25:30 pm »

Hi,

I may share that view. Unfortunately, some plugins are now available via CC.

Best regards
Erik

I hqave a different reason for not "joining".

I use Photoshop CS6 (or, should I say I use about 5% of it) and Lightroom. For as long as CS6 continues to hugely exceed my requirements and Lightroom continues to be available on a perpetual licence, I see no imperative to change to CC.

However, for anyone starting photo-processing from scratch (as many new members of our camera club are), then Adobe CC at £8.98 per month is really the only sane option and I heartily recommend it to them.
Erik Kaffehr

PhotoEcosse

« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2014, 06:37:45 am »

Really ? Elements probably does everything most beginners need without any ongoing financial commitment. Plus there are other cheap editors like Photoline, The Gimp, PhotoPlus, Irfan view, Paint.net, Paint Shop Pro that cost very little or are free.

When you admit you only use 5% of a program it seems odd to recommend it to beginners who are likely to need even fewer facilities.
Let's not mention the intimidating interface and learning curve in becoming proficient with PS.

You seem to be obsessed with cost.

But, think about it........

All the power and flexibility of LR and PS for a smidgeon over £2 per week - most of our camera club members probably spend more on petrol coming to our weekly meetings.

But the real reason is that LR is so easy to learn, so intuitive and such a superb workflow management system - and the benefits are much greater if employed from the start of a photographic "career", rather than attempting to convert at a later date. Yes, they may initially only click through to PS when they need layers (that's the only reason that I ever do when, for example, producing a composite photo), but at such low cost, it is worth having that facility available.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 06:39:26 am by PhotoEcosse »
"Reality is an illusion caused by lack of alcohol."
Alternatively, "Life begins at the far end of your comfort zone."

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2014, 06:50:59 am »

You seem to be obsessed with cost.
But, think about it........
What do you want to spend your money on ? Continuing to pay for a program you use very little of when you could get the same from a free program ?
Spend the money on something more useful; more/better lenses, accessories or even just funding trips to interesting places to photograph.

Beginners just don't need Photoshop, in fact most advanced photographers don't need Photoshop, they're just used to it.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up