Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sending prints via airmail postal service  (Read 3344 times)

marimagen

Sending prints via airmail postal service
« on: November 14, 2014, 03:49:05 pm »

I have to send 13x19'' prints from Europe to the USA, but I rather not use a courier service because they are quite expensive. I'm thinking of sending them via airmail. The paper I use is pretty thick so I can't roll them up, and will have to send them flat out. Can you tell me what's the best way to protect the prints so they don't get damaged in the process (especially the corners)? Thanks in advance for your help, Marie

jferrari

Re: Sending prints via airmail postal service
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2014, 11:01:47 pm »

Any chance you can send the digital file to a print service in the states?    - Jim
Nothing changes until something changes.

framah

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2014, 09:12:35 am »

Make corner pockets to hold the prints onto an oversized piece of mat board and then tape another piece on mat board over it making a nice folder. Then cut cardboard into a size a couple of inches larger around. Use 3 layers per side with the corrugation laying at 90º to each layer.

This stiffens the package to lessen the chance of the package being bent. With 6 layers of cardboard cross hatched, it should have no problem making it thru. If you still aren't confident about that method, then instead replace the middle layer on each side with a piece of 1/4" plywood.
Tape the he** out of it with fiber glass tape.
"It took a  lifetime of suffering and personal sacrifice to develop my keen aesthetic sense."

marimagen

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2014, 05:55:53 pm »

Thanks for your answers. Jim I thought about that solution, of sending out the files to a printing service in the US, but since I've never done it I wouldn't know where to begin, so at this point I prefer to control the print quality on my end, and deal with the packaging issue the best I can. It looks like Framah has found the ideal solution. Merci! Marie

Colorado David

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2014, 11:27:11 pm »

Look for the 1/8th inch birch plywood available from hobby shops.  It is used by model airplane builders and is very rigid and lighter weight than 1/4 inch ply from a lumber yard.

marimagen

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2014, 11:38:01 am »

I see the one you mean. Thank you David!

DanielStone

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2014, 12:56:52 pm »

another option that can work well, and is quite lightweight is the corrugated plastic sheeting, commonly used for outdoor display signage.

It is commonly referred to as "coroplast". It is essentially, heavy duty currogated cardboard, in an all-plastic form.

http://www.coroplast.com/

This, combined with a "sandwich" of some matboard on both sides of the print should aid in getting things there effectively, and with less parcel weight.

marimagen

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2014, 02:08:11 pm »

Hadn't thought of that. And it is light too. Great! Thanks Daniel, Marie

Box Brownie

• Engram Photography
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2014, 09:56:58 am »

FWIW I sent two prints from the UK to Australia.

These were 12x8 mounted & back boarded, these I individually placed in cellophane bags (which I would do with any unframed prints) I then got two sheets of two ply corrugated cardboard approx. 1.5inches bigger all round than the prints and centred one print per piece and taped across the corners of the cellophane bags thus 'sticking' them firmly in place.  Next was to place the two parts face to face and with only very light squeezing pressure on the edges taped all the way round thus making a sandwich.

I hope that makes sense...............lastly bubble wrapped the whole thing before putting it in triwall postal box bigger by about 1.5inches to place the 'sandwich' in and used bubble wrap to pad out the space :)

I sent it using UK Parcel Force and the total cost of materials & postage was £22 and took 10 days and the recipient reported it had arrived safe & sound.

HTH :)
A collection of mine here http://500px.c
Pages: [1]   Go Up