Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best flare resistant ultra-wide lens  (Read 4730 times)

Yakim Peled

Best flare resistant ultra-wide lens
« on: December 08, 2005, 10:22:46 am »

Dear Photo nutters :-)

I have a 1D (1.3X) and want to buy a wide angle lens for it. Ideally the lens would be rectilinear, FF compatible and have AF. However, all these are of less importance. What fears me most is flare. I live in Israel and it is very sunny. For example, the typical noon temperatures in the past week were ~25 degrees Celsius. Therefore, the sun is shining brightly and that makes flare a major problem.  

1. The lens must be 15mm to 17mm.

2. It must have a Canon EF mount but adapters are O.K. by me. That means that a Nikon MF lens (for example) will do just fine. That also means that Canon FD (for example) are off the scope.

3. If it's an MF lens then I must be able to meter at Av or M. That means that Nikon G lenses (for example) are off the scope either.

4. It can't be too pricey (~700$ max) so all the east German exotic stuff is also off the scope.

5. If it will be a fish-eye, the images will be straightened later in software. I understand that this will decrease resolution in the edges. Pity but I can live with that.

6. Original lens hood will be used at all times.

7. Aperture will typically be f/8-11 so sharpness wide open is not a consideration.

8. I also consider APS-C lenses as know they will work without vignetting at these focal lengths. EF-ing the 10-22 USM is also considered. I know that it will work well from 12mm and up. The same goes for the Sigma 10-20. Tokina's 12-24 is good from ~15mm.

9. The prime/zoom issue is not important. I suppose primes will be better in that regard but if someone will suggest with a zoom with great flare resistance I won't mind :-)

I talked with Mark Welsh and he recommended the Tokina 17/3.5. That surprised me a bit because I was under the impression that Tokina lenses are not that great in that regard but as he has a lot of experience, I respect his opinion. BTW, do you know what is the difference between the old ATX version and the new ATX PRO version?

So, what do you think? Which is the most flare resistant ultra-wide lens?

TIA.

Happy shooting,
Yakim.
Happy shooting,
Yakim.

DarkPenguin

« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2005, 12:13:09 pm »

Petteri has some ultrawide lens reviews here ...

http://www.prime-junta.net/pont/Whats_new/...nt_changes.html

The 17 is flare resistant.  The 14mm not so much.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2005, 01:33:15 am »

Some additional techniques helping reducing flare for landscape shots. You might be aware of those, but I have personnally never read anything on these anywhere:

- stitching does help thank to the usage of longer lenses with more protective hoods,
-> I have less problems when stitching 3 images shot with a 80 mm rather than using one taken with a 35 mm for instance,

- when shooting in M mode, it is sometimes possible to shoot one image with your hand obstructing the sun (no flare on this one) and then another one with the sun in the frame. By overlaying these 2 images in PS, you can get rid of a good deal of flare, but not of the sun starts of course.

A great lens is of course even easier, but I am not sure than these even exist...

Regards,
Bernard

BJL

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2005, 12:24:50 pm »

Yakim,
   one quirky thought, about lens hoods: for any lens you get, the hood is likely to be designed to let light in from a wider FOV than you will be using, due to either the 1.3x crop or zooming in from say 10mm. Since your FOV will be about that of f=22mm or f=24mm in 35mm format, could you try mounting the hood for something like a 20mm or 24mm prime?

P. S. One zoom you did not mention is the new Tamron 11-18.

Yakim Peled

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2005, 05:43:08 am »

1. I know about alternative lens hoods but the only had data I have is using the 24/1.4 hood on the 17-40/4. As the 17-40/4 is not so great in handling flare, I'm stuck with FF hoods.

2. Do you know how the Tamron 11-18 will perform on 1.3X body and how flare resistant it is?
Happy shooting,
Yakim.
Pages: [1]   Go Up