Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gigabit files and Photoshop CC: How much RAM  (Read 1862 times)

sm906

• thomas hintze fotografie
Gigabit files and Photoshop CC: How much RAM
« on: October 31, 2014, 03:28:46 am »

Hi folks,

I am working with very large panoramas, the PSB files have grown to up to 10 GB, sometimes even more. This slows down Photoshop considerably, i.e. when doing perspective corrections. The 32GB of RAM in my almost 3-year old Intel i-2500K PC doesn't seem to be sufficient any more (as well as the CPU). Since my panorama files won't become smaller in the future, the opposite will be true, I intend to switch to a workstation with a 6-Core CPU and with up to 128GB RAM, starting with 64GB.

What is your experience in how much RAM will help Photoshop speed up, depending on file size and operations? Is 64GB really better than 32GB, 128GB better than 64GB...?

Kind regards

Thomas
nature-architecture-panorama-fineart
Web hintze-photo.com | YT youtube.com/c/rawakademie

george2787

Re: Gigabit files and Photoshop CC: How much RAM
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2014, 10:24:19 am »

Check your swap file size and that should give you a clue, also at macperformanceguide.com you can see the effects of 64 vs 32 GB of RAM in multiple uses (mac platform but I'm guessing the basics will apply), another thing that might help if you can live with that is lowering the history states when working with such large images as that states have to be stored somewhere.

My main complaint with 24GB RAM and max of 4.5GB file is save speed to an external drive, which was solved moving the files to the internal SSD while working, but I don't do perspective corrections at all.

sm906

• thomas hintze fotografie
Re: Gigabit files and Photoshop CC: How much RAM
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2014, 01:35:31 pm »

...at macperformanceguide.com you can see the effects of 64 vs 32 GB of RAM in multiple uses...

Thank you for the tip with PS scratch file giving a rough value, which grows up to 60 GB when dealing with the a 10GB file. I had a look at macperformanceguide.com, but could not find the article you are referring to. Sharing the complete URL would be great.

Thomas
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 01:43:02 pm by sm906 »
nature-architecture-panorama-fineart
Web hintze-photo.com | YT youtube.com/c/rawakademie
Pages: [1]   Go Up