Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: OneDrive Backup Options  (Read 7274 times)

Remo Nonaz

• Photography By Homer Shannnon
OneDrive Backup Options
« on: October 30, 2014, 08:55:47 pm »

This week I read that Microsoft is going to be offering unlimited storage on OneDrive with a subscription to Office 365 at a price of $10 a month. Since I would like Office 365 and already pay $5 a month for Carbonite backup that I don't like, this seemed like it might offer an interesting option for backing up LightRoom catalogs and RAW files. In anticipation of subscribing to this service, I decided to test Lr's ability to backup to this service.

The catalog backup works well. Create a folder in Onedrive and then point your backup location to C:users\name\onedrive\name_of_folder. When you run your catalog backup it will end up in this folder. Perfect.

For importing, I went into the import dialog boxes and changed my 'Make a second copy to' to another Onedrive folder instead of the second hard drive I have been saving to. This, too, works though it seems to take quite a long time. Initially the folder was empty but in a few minutes my test image appeared. I've not tried this with a half-full 16G memory card. It might bog down pretty badly. I'll have to try it and see. It isn't such a hardship to drag a copy from my backup drive to the Onedrive, but it would be very nice to have it done automatically on import.

I really enjoy using old primes on my m4/3 camera. There's something about having to choose your aperture and actually focusing your camera that makes it so much more like... like... PHOTOGRAPHY!

dchew

• Dave Chew Photography
Re: OneDrive Backup Options
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2014, 09:36:57 am »

I would think this to be a fairly slow solution to backing up image files. But my bigger issue is can you be sure that you will always have internet access when importing photos? If not, then there are times when you will either backup to a different location or not at all. Either one is "sub-optimal" as Schewe would say.

I don't use the cloud for backup so I may be jaded here, although I do use it for sharing and synching files. Image files represent large storage. I don't want to ever have to dowload 100s of gigabytes if a drive fails or if their offer changes.

Dave

Remo Nonaz

• Photography By Homer Shannnon
Re: OneDrive Backup Options
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2014, 10:02:03 am »

I agree that the backup would be slow. I did more testing and found that although the catalog appears to be uploaded pretty quickly, it isn't accessible for several hours. I always do my imports on my home computer, so that is not an issue. I have an external hard drive that I regularly back up to, so the onlne service is secondary, off-site copy.

I agree it would be less than perfect, but it would be better than Carbonite which can't deal with large files very well and gets all bollixed up any time I move a hard drive or change a drive letter. 
I really enjoy using old primes on my m4/3 camera. There's something about having to choose your aperture and actually focusing your camera that makes it so much more like... like... PHOTOGRAPHY!
Pages: [1]   Go Up