Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Z3200 dried ink pieces on prints  (Read 794 times)

PeterOReilly

Z3200 dried ink pieces on prints
« on: October 29, 2014, 10:50:55 am »

My Z3200 24in printer has recently started depositing pieces of what appear to be pieces of dried black ink on the prints. The pieces are about 1mm - 3mm in size, and I think they are deposited on the paper before the ink (if I scrape them off, there is white paper underneath).

Can anyone suggest a cause of this problem?

Thanks

Geraldo Garcia

• Personal blog
Re: Z3200 dried ink pieces on prints
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2014, 11:54:03 am »

It can be dry ink from underneath the carriage/heads or it can be the rubber belt (that moves the carriage) flaking. It is quite common after a couple of years.
Check the belt first, open the window cover and move your hand along the belt, see if it flakes as you gently rub it. Check also for signs of wearing. If that is the problem, the only solution is a new belt.
If the belt is OK I would advise a good clean up of the carriage and heads. Search for older posts on this forum on how to do it, I remember a quite good one but don't have the link at hand.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 03:10:40 pm by Geraldo Garcia »

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2014, 02:30:25 pm »

Yes, most likely the belt.  I was able to prolong mine (Z3100) a little by wiping up the particles under the belt with an ISO soaked rag, then vacuuming the belt lightly, but I would still lose the occasional print.  Mine has finally gone though and is waiting for a new belt when I get the chance.

Mark Lindquist

• it’s not about the photos we take - it’s the ones we leave
    • LINDQUIST STUDIOS
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2014, 09:33:49 pm »

Yup.  Dreaded shredded belt issue.  Stick a fork in it - it's done.
Mark Lindquist
http://z3200.com, http://MarkLindquistPhotography.com
Lindquist Studios.com

PeterOReilly

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2014, 07:10:35 am »

Thanks, all - I've had a look at the belt, and that does seem to be the problem - it's starting to flake in some places. Guess I'll have to call an engineer, or bite the bullet and have a go at changing it myself  :(
Pages: [1]   Go Up