Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: Glencoe, Scotland  (Read 30654 times)

Isaac

Glencoe, Scotland
« on: October 28, 2014, 07:59:31 pm »

jeremyrh

Re: Glencoe, Scotland
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2014, 04:22:35 am »

No -- Glencoe, California ;-)
Glencoe, Mars, as far as I can guess. Certainly no resemblance to any Scottish landscape I have ever seen.

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2014, 04:59:22 am »

I like the composition, with the flow of the water going and the autumnal leaves. I find the saturation a bit too much for my taste, but landscape photography is not about capturing fidelity, it is about artistic vision.

Well done Kevin.

francois

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2014, 05:14:24 am »

Francois

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2014, 05:34:12 am »

Reminds me of the ginger wigs the locals wear!

But isn't it the same problem Kevin had a few months ago? Either he's not preparing the image correctly in Photoshop, or he's relying on WordPress to resize the image but it's also stripping the colour profile.

Ideally install the ImageMagickEngine WordPress plugin, or in the short term upload JPEGs at precisely the size that they will be displayed on the page, so WordPress's resizing isn't invoked.

Krug

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2014, 08:38:28 am »

javascript:void(0);javascript:void(0);javascript:void(0);javascript:void(0);javascript:void(0);javascript:void(0);
John Ashbourne
 www.johnashbourne.com

Isaac

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2014, 02:59:05 pm »

Either he's…

Or wondered how the scene would look through the eyes of The Orange County Register.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2014, 03:19:31 pm »

No -- Glencoe, California ;-)

A refreshing change from Isaac: a sense of humor! :)

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2014, 03:57:38 pm »

Always god to see a discussion going.  First, the last thing I wanted was someone to say this image was Raberized.  It was this yellow and orange.  We were in Glencoe for a workshop and we had a few spectacular days.  The only thing I did was recover some detail in the shadow areas.  I am hoping for some new images as I explore Isle Of Skye for the next 9 days.  The image was saved using Save For Web in PS.  Not sure what color issue you amy be seeing.  Nothing was done in wordpress.

I have arrived in Isle Of Skye after 25 hours of travel.  Lost a bag along the way but hopefully it will be here tomorrow.  Looking forward to shooting for two days with joe Cornish and Steve Gosling.

Kevin
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

jeremyrh

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2014, 04:21:11 pm »

You have the most extraordinary luck. I have been to Glencoe more times than I can remember and I have never seen such bright yellow and orange vegetation or such cyan skies.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2014, 04:51:00 pm »

You need to have a look at the picture on other peoples' computers, Kevin, because I can't believe you intended it to look quite so garish.

If you uploaded it to WordPress, that counts as doing something to the image. WordPress will have prepared alternative size JPEGs as part of its upload process, and it would have stripped the ICC profile and sRGB tag. That's why I point whoever is responsible at LL to the ImageMagickEngine WordPress plugin, which preserves the profile and tag.

dennbel

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2014, 04:55:29 pm »

How about posting the actual Focal Length for the shot not just the lens' fl. Thanks

E.J. Peiker

• http://www.ejphoto.com
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2014, 05:31:08 pm »

Kevin, it looks like what you get when you display a photo that's tagged with ProPhotoRGB in the sRGB color space without converting it first.  Perhaps the "convert to sRGB" box was left unchecked when you ran Save For Web.

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2014, 06:25:27 pm »

I am traveling now so it is hard to go back and look at what the settings were.  I'll double check those as there haven't been any other color issues raised recently.

My blog works in WordPress but LuLa is not a WordPress site.  I'll look at the mentioned plug in though for my site.

I have been doing a lot in BW and did a conversion to BW and now have posted that.  Hopefully in the next week I'll have other Scotland images to post as I am in Scotland now.

Kevin
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2014, 04:50:07 am »

Kevin, enjoy your trip, I am eager to see more photos from it.

The B&W version works very well too.

stamper

« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2014, 05:06:56 am »

It is quite obvious that Kevin intended the image to look the way it is. His vision. So why all the palaver about word press and save for Web? ::)

jeremyrh

« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2014, 05:22:04 am »

It is quite obvious that Kevin intended the image to look the way it is. His vision. So why all the palaver about word press and save for Web? ::)
I guess it's general disbelief on the part of those who are familiar with the subtle beauty of the Scottish landscape that anyone would deliberately wish to depict it in that way.

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2014, 05:30:46 am »

Why is hard to believe it was not the way it was shown.  I was leading workshop and a dozen plus other people saw he same thing.  It was yellow and gold and big blue sky.  It was a stand out week as far as weather.  Of course I am here in Isle Of Skye now and it is gray and rainy. 

Kevin
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

stamper

« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2014, 06:22:56 am »

I guess it's general disbelief on the part of those who are familiar with the subtle beauty of the Scottish landscape that anyone would deliberately wish to depict it in that way.

As a resident of Scotland I find that the beauty of Scotland is imo harsh and rugged and mostly not subtle. :)

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2014, 06:44:33 am »

Why is hard to believe it was not the way it was shown? 

Because how it looks on our screens is so far beyond believable that it doesn't appear realistic or deliberate.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11   Go Up